classic avatar to Mesh avatar

DEUTSCHZWEI

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a classic avatar right now and I have been trying for days to get a mesh avatar. can someone please help me? I've bought several "complete male mesh avatars" and none of them are working. When I try to put on clothes that are made for mesh avatars they never fit!

You have to buy clothes for the specific mesh body you have. The trouble with a lot of the free/cheap "complete avatars" is that hardly anybody makes clothes for them. Look at the clothes you like, see what bodies they say they're for. You'll see names like Gianni, Jake, and Legacy. If you invest in one of those, it's more upfront cost but you get to wear a lot more clothes.

ETA: Here is a good blog post about the different male bodies.

https://virtualbloke.com/archives/3711

Edited by BookishMelinoe
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DEUTSCHZWEI said:

I've bought several "complete male mesh avatars" and none of them are working. When I try to put on clothes that are made for mesh avatars they never fit!

It would help to know which mesh bodies you bought. Generally you need to look for clothes specific to your mesh body and use an alpha layer if it's Bakes on Mesh only or use the alpha cuts in the supplied HUD to hide areas of the body that are poking through. If you are using an uncommon or obscure body, for male clothes many times you can take clothes in standard sizes or specific body rigs and an alpha layer or HUD alpha cuts will hide enough of the body

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DEUTSCHZWEI said:

I have a classic avatar right now and I have been trying for days to get a mesh avatar. can someone please help me? I've bought several "complete male mesh avatars" and none of them are working. When I try to put on clothes that are made for mesh avatars they never fit!

You need a mesh avatar that is BoM that way you can still wear your classic clothes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BookishMelinoe said:

You have to buy clothes for the specific mesh body you have. The trouble with a lot of the free/cheap "complete avatars" is that hardly anybody makes clothes for them. Look at the clothes you like, see what bodies they say they're for. You'll see names like Gianni, Jake, and Legacy. If you invest in one of those, it's more upfront cost but you get to wear a lot more clothes.

ETA: Here is a good blog post about the different male bodies.

https://virtualbloke.com/archives/3711

so only mesh clothes will fit mesh bodys/shapes and the clothes have to match the bodies name (Gianni, Jake, Legacy ETC.)

how would i find a mesh body? my budget for a body is L$4,000

15 minutes ago, DEUTSCHZWEI said:

so only mesh clothes will fit mesh bodys/shapes and the clothes have to match the bodies name (Gianni, Jake, Legacy ETC.)

All of those brands have stores inworld--the blog post has links to the various ones. Definitely demo several bodies and see which one you like the look of, which one's HUD annoys you the least, and so on. 

You can still wear system clothes if you set up BOM, which most mesh bodies will allow you to do, but they'll look kind of silly if you wear them by themselves because they'll look painted on. They're best for layering under mesh clothes for certain looks.

11 hours ago, DEUTSCHZWEI said:

For that budget you can get Signature Gianni, Belleza Jake or Slink Physique. The only body that's out of budget for you is Legacy.

And yes, when you have a mesh body, ONLY clothes made for that specific body will fit (there are a few examples; I had a rare body for a while and a handful of items made for Jake worked on it, but I eventually scrapped the body because I was fed up of wearing only one outfit all the time).  

I would recommend Gianni out of those three, it's the only one that is continuing to get good support in new clothing.  Jake is basically abandonware and it hasn't had BOM properly implemented, there are a lot of faults with it that will never be corrected. Slink is good but no-one makes new clothes for it any more. You will find plenty of old ones though.

27 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

I would recommend Gianni out of those three, it's the only one that is continuing to get good support in new clothing. 

Jake is basically abandonware

both based on? .. because it's not true, it's opinion.

Gianni AND Jake are both represented well in the new clothing
That Jake doesn't have BOM is also just personal preference, for most basic males it makes no difference at all.

Strange you call a really abandoned body, for clothes in general, as good, but a supported one abandonware.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

both based on? .. because it's not true, it's opinion.

Gianni AND Jake are both represented well in the new clothing
That Jake doesn't have BOM is also just personal preference, for most basic males it makes no difference at all.

Strange you call a really abandoned body, for clothes in general, as good, but a supported one abandonware.

By "good" I mean "fully functional" both in terms of BOM implementation and bento hand animations (which are not included on Jake and do not work properly with 3rd party animations).

For a user that does not want BOM and does not care that other people will frequently see your avatar with splayed hands that you'll not know about until they tell you, Jake is probably a better choice than Slink. And I did already mention that no-one is making new clothing for Slink.

In addition to what Maitimo has mentioned about Jake, there is one other crucial problem with it: it does not have the Universal Neck that new heads such as Lelutka Evolution and Catwa HDPRO use, therefore Jake users will have neck fit issues with those heads.

Also, it is confusing to those who are new to mesh bodies that there are four copies of the body inside the folder, and the way that they're labelled means that I've seen more than one person walking around wearing all four copies:

ddc9a9a7814851573dc400cb6cfd134f.png

bdd7db65d610e6c0855cad78227a28ed.png

1 hour ago, Skell Dagger said:

In addition to what Maitimo has mentioned about Jake, there is one other crucial problem with it: it does not have the Universal Neck that new heads such as Lelutka Evolution and Catwa HDPRO use, therefore Jake users will have neck fit issues with those heads.

I believe that Slink doesn't have that neck fix either; is it only Signature & Legacy?

5 hours ago, Maitimo said:

I believe that Slink doesn't have that neck fix either; is it only Signature & Legacy?

Slink has the SL Neck. I don't see it mentioned in the HUD as SL Neck. The HUD has neck sizes; 0 (which is the SL Neck), 5, 15, 25, 35, 45, and 55. However, my GA.EG Jennifer head does explicitly mention the SL Neck size. Using the GA.EG head's SL Neck is a perfect fit to the Slink body's size 0.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.