A thought about a 'custom' Linden Homes service

Evangeline Arcadia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was reading some of the comments about multiple home owners, and thinking about how many residents have their ideal of what they would like to have in a Linden Home - some want open water views, some want a house by a lake etc. etc. but there never seem to be enough prime spots. I had an idea - perhaps in the future LL could offer a custom style set up for an additional charge. Bear with me before you shout well that's what mainland is for...well, mainland can be really ugly even if you have your own plot the views can be terrible. Part of the appeal of the new homes is the awesome landscaping and views, the consistency of the themes. People want that (as verified by the high demand we've seen over the past couple of years), but they also want their ideal spot.

So LL could offer a service whereby they build the home in theme on the plot, just like when building for Bellisseria, but they can recreate a prime location you've seen, or offer some modification for example the direction the home faces, or add a pond.  Perhaps there could be a set list of what you can ask for, for each them.

E.g. Campers options:

- direction it faces (umm... that might be already in existence lol, I don't have a camper so I don't know)

- water options - with pond, by river etc.

- terrain - sand or grass

And/or have the option to duplicate a plot you've seen somewhere, like camper plot at coordinates (,xx,xx,xx) on region XX.

The modification would have to be within theme - no campers on snow or campers on a pier lol. So you can basically get that perfect spot you wish you would have been lucky enough to get but never could, because there are not enough of them made.  It wouldn't be difficult to recreate them and/or tweak them.

Kind of like building a custom PC online lol - you choose the 'parts'  you want to put together. They would probably have to have less homes on the region in order to achieve this. That would also enable the options for more vegetation if someone wanted it.  I think it would be viable since you would have a region with the same theme homes on it. Since there would be a charge for this (not quite sure how how that would work) it could be worth the time to do it.

I know there are limits regarding LI that they have to consider. For the most part it wouldn't be adding too much more - most people seem to just want a particular spot they've seen - near a lighthouse, on a pond, with open water view, a bit more vegetation etc.

I'm not sure what would happen when the person doesn't want the plot any more - open it up at a discount to anyone that wants it, or remove the build so the land is free for another custom home.

Just throwing this out there - maybe it's something that LL could consider in a smaller more modified way somehow. But I'm sure there'd be people who would pay for something like this and it could add revenue for LL.

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 2

I doubt this will be realistic to develop, imagine the hours of employees that need to be paid to cover costs.
Does the lay out of Belliseria have enough place for such "feature"?.. adding new parcels will cause closer neighbour at already existing perfect places.

what range of fees were you thinking about?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

I doubt this will be realistic to develop, imagine the hours of employees that need to be paid to cover costs.
Does the lay out of Belliseria have enough place for such "feature"?.. adding new parcels will cause closer neighbour at already existing perfect places.

what range of fees were you thinking about?

I wasn't thinking about the fees - that's not my job:) I don't work for LL. That would be up to LL.  The thought would be that the parcels would be on regions separate from but near to Bellisseria of course, since Bellisseria is already built..you couldn't do it on existing land.

I'm just throwing the idea out there - it would be up to LL to work out the details if it was at all possible.

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Linden Homes are meant to be starter homes, as Patch has said many times.

Funny you should say that I was just thinking about this. They've said that but I don't think they can realistically stick to that idea anymore. The popularity of the new homes because both the homes and the environments have been so nicely done has meant many people, I think it's safe to say, will consider keeping their LH for a long time, rather than leaving and going off to get mainland any time soon (they might of course get mainland in addition to the LH). I'm sure there are many who do not consider their LH a starter home at all.

Then again, maybe in a few years time when they are old news  it might be different, who knows:)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Funny you should say that I was just thinking about this. They've said that but I don't think they can realistically stick to that idea anymore. The popularity of the new homes because both the homes and the environments have been so nicely done has meant many people, I think it's safe to say, will consider keeping their LH for a long time, rather than leaving and going off to get mainland any time soon (they might of course get mainland in addition to the LH). I'm sure there are many who do not consider their LH a starter home at all.

Then again, maybe in a few years time when they are old news  it might be different, who knows:)

I can't imagine that this would be cost effective except for very few people that can afford to spend a lot of money in SL   LL charges $229/month and a whooping $349 to set up a blank region.  Imagine what the cost would be to set up a custom home in a premium spot.  

7 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

I'm not sure what would happen when the person doesn't want the plot any more - open it up at a discount to anyone that wants it, or remove the build so the land is free for another custom home.

They would have a bunch of LL homes just like they have now.  People move and abandon their land so often that soon you'd just have regions that look like Bellisseria anyway.  This is already what Bellisseria is only now you have the luck of the draw and have to work at finding the perfect spot.  Right now if you want a custom home in an area like you are describing with more prims it can cost anywhere from $L400-5000 a week to rent.

I would not pay to have a custom home that I would have to keep forever. I like the fact that I can change on a whim.  Once I decorated a LL most of the time I give it up and choose something else or move somewhere else.

What I would pay for is a premium account that gave you double prims for a LL. 

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

many people, I think it's safe to say, will consider keeping their LH for a long time, rather than leaving and going off to get mainland any time soon (they might of course get mainland in addition to the LH). I'm sure there are many who do not consider their LH a starter home at all.

I think you're right, many, perhaps most, Belli residents don't regard their homes as starters.  I don't see that as a problem for them or for LL.  I think it benefits the community as a whole to have these stable residents.  I don't see why LL would spend time & money enhancing the LH model, which is more than adequately popular as it is, unless as part of a higher level of premium. 

I wish people would remember that there are many more options than mainland if you want more than Linden Homes offer.  Private estates offer covenant protections, lots of options to rent or buy, and many are gorgeous.  Griefers are rare; they generally do not bother to LOOK for estate lands, and many estates are pretty tightly policed by designated estate managers.  Nearly all allow you to place your own home & landscaping so long as it is in-theme, some allow limited terraforming, all I've ever encountered allow skyboxes, and most will provide a home if you don't want to look for prefabs or build your own.  You never have to be premium.  They have social activities and shared recreation areas.  There's a partial directory in the Land section of the Destinations Guide , but some of the best aren't even there.  LL has basically COPIED estate lifestyles in Belli.

Here we have Fruitlands/Eden, which I don't see in the Guide.  It's a favorite sailing destination for clubs such as the LCC.

fruitlands_001.thumb.jpg.6ebfbaf565b52dd05569d9198973c2e2.jpg

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 3

If LL went down this route it would make private landlords deeply deeply unhappy. There are people who love landscaping and are dependent on rental income to help fund their passion; if I had extra money to spend on the perfect home that's where I'd be looking to spend it.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

They’ve already competed with landlords. The question is what’s next for Linden Homes? Maybe Linden Stores? 

Easy peasy to throw up a 512 skybox and create a store.  I care what the product is not where it's located or how pretty the store looks.  In fact, I do 95% of my shopping on the MP unless they specifically say there is a discount at the store or if they have a rezzer to see builds at their inworld store. 

On 4/28/2021 at 8:02 AM, Evangeline Arcadia said:
On 4/28/2021 at 6:33 AM, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Linden Homes are meant to be starter homes, as Patch has said many times.

What Patch means by 'starter homes' is that basically if you really want various things that are not provided in the current Linden Homes, then it is time that you maybe moved on to other home options.

He doesn't really mean it in the way of 'folks living there should not live there forever'.  Just that it will only be your forever home if you are happy with the limitations that are there.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• Moles
38 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

What Patch means by 'starter homes' is that basically if you really want various things that are not provided in the current Linden Homes, then it is time that you maybe moved on to other home options.

He doesn't really mean it in the way of 'folks living there should not live there forever'.  Just that it will only be your forever home if you are happy with the limitations that are there.

I don't think this could have been put any more beautifully. Thank you. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.