Deploy Plan for the week of 2021-04-26

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1083 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server:

There is no server roll scheduled for the SLS channel this week.

Second Life RC:

All RC channels will get the same server update, which contains some internal tweaks.

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2021-04-21.558586.html

Wednesday 2021-04-28 07:00-10:30 PDT

On Region Restarts:

As usual, we'll be restarting Second Life Server regions that have been up for more than 10 days.

• Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Miller Thor said:

@Maestro Linden Unfortunately, as usually only the description internal fixes. What do they contain, please?

It is frustrating, but they're likely not linked to any publicly acknowledged bug. It could still be linked to the changes brought about by the Cloud Uplift. And it's going to be an interesting test of how the map responds. We can watch a couple of hundred mainland regions, and expect to notice some going down for the restart.

But can I trust the announced timing? Yesterday, Tuesday, there were a small number of RC restarts, a bit of tidying up. The Status message said starting at 7am, but the completion message was posted just before 4am. Did the system run on the usual Tuesday timing? I can understand that sort of goof, but if they don't admit to it, can we trust them?

I know a region did restart at 3.22am, which suggests it is on the RC channel, but can I be sure? If I were organising an event, and we're not all in California, how do I avoid being hit by a restart?

I am a little picky about time. It feels odd to be using PDT without labelling it. The restarts are supposed to begin at 2021-04-28T14:00:00Z and I had a bit of a scare at the beginning of this month when I saw Linden Lab use a US-format date string for the 4th of June.

• Lindens
13 hours ago, Miller Thor said:

@Maestro Linden Unfortunately, as usually only the description internal fixes. What do they contain, please?

When we don't provide further details about internal fixes you can reasonably assume that the reason is one of:

• The system or systems changed were entirely internal, or
  • The system or systems changed were Resident facing, but contain components that are not publicly discussed, or
  • The changes made involved issues of security or stability which if discussed could give malicious attackers insight into how to attack Second Life
  • Thanks 4

@Mazidox Linden all well and good, I understand what you write but I take issue with point 2, "not publicly discussed":  That opens so many cans of worms! 

There are many among us users that would contend that there are several aspects of the running of SL that are not "publicly discussed" by the Lindens that really DO need to be "publicly discussed".

The response that SL is Linden Property and therefore we perforce play to Linden Rules (ToS) is facile and unacceptable to some.

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2021 at 3:35 PM, Aishagain said:

There are many among us users that would contend that there are several aspects of the running of SL that are not "publicly discussed" by the Lindens that really DO need to be "publicly discussed".

And, as everyone knows, public discussion in Second Life is universally polite, well informed and useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

And, as everyone knows, public discussion in Second Life is universally polite, well informed and useful.

So all of us should languish under "Mushroom Syndrome" because there are a few idiots out there?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1083 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.