How to get/build a sim to rent out?

Zopper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey i wanted to build a sim or get my own sim, i have never done this before, to rent out with small houses like the chung estates have done, how can i go by this safely? what rules do i need to read, and where can i get more info about this since this is my first time, thankyou! be respectable in the comments thankyou :)

anyone know someone i can get in touch with or anyone that works in the estates that is willing to help me.

Edited by Zopper

• Zopper changed the title to How to get/build a sim to rent out?
58 minutes ago, Zopper said:

Hey i wanted to build a sim or get my own sim, i have never done this before, to rent out with small houses like the chung estates have done, how can i go by this safely? what rules do i need to read, and where can i get more info about this since this is my first time, thankyou! be respectable in the comments thankyou :)

• Get a good rental script system.
  • Create a tenant group and assign your land to it. Then make sure only group members can rez there.
  • Treat your tenants with respect.
  • Remember that running a sim with rentals like this is an expense, not an income.
  • Confused 1

You'll want it to look pleasing to rent there. Landscaping, things like that.  Do your research on what to charge and why they should choose your rentals over someone else's. You can rent a multi scene rental with 200 prims and 30-40 complete scenes for $L399. So that might give you an idea of what things go for.  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Zopper said:

This is supet hard to understand thats why id need help inworld if that works? This is my first time

If you are going to run a sim with rentals and spend the money to get your own sim then you need to do some research on your own. No one is going to walk you though this whole process for you. Running rental units can be super hard.  People can answer specific questions but they are not going to do the work  for you.  Go visit some rental properties. Read the forums.  Goggle how to set up a rental system in second life.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 4:30 PM, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

If you are going to run a sim with rentals and spend the money to get your own sim then you need to do some research on your own. No one is going to walk you though this whole process for you. Running rental units can be super hard.  People can answer specific questions but they are not going to do the work  for you.  Go visit some rental properties. Read the forums.  Goggle how to set up a rental system in second life.

thankyou

On 4/29/2021 at 7:12 PM, Zopper said:

thankyou

You have to have your plan completely worked out before you even buy or lease the sim.
If you think that you can all do that when you have the sim, the USD 399 starts ticking the moment you purchase / lease a sim.

Another tip: don't calculate on a basis that every home is rented out all the time.
Almost every sim that leases out houses or parcels has a percentage of vacancies all the time.

Look around, look around and look around a bit more on all those sims out there that already offer this kind of service.
How do they collect the rent? How did they split up the sim, How do they advertise it and where other than a sign on the land (or best IMHO, without a sign on the land)

I always had simular plans in the years when I first started in SL. I never had the guts to make it reality.
My final conclusion after years of investigating (with the idea on a back burner on and off):  Too much financial risk and too much time involved on daily basis, to do it right.

This can't be done as a weekend hobby. Tenants want answers and solutions when (or very soon after) the problem occurs or most of them will walk pretty soon.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

You have to have your plan completely worked out before you even buy or lease the sim.
If you think that you can all do that when you have the sim, the USD 399 starts ticking the moment you purchase / lease a sim.

Another tip: don't calculate on a basis that every home is rented out all the time.
Almost every sim that leases out houses or parcels has a percentage of vacancies all the time.

Look around, look around and look around a bit more on all those sims out there that already offer this kind of service.
How do they collect the rent? How did they split up the sim, How do they advertise it and where other than a sign on the land (or best IMHO, without a sign on the land)

I always had simular plans in the years when I first started in SL. I never had the guts to make it reality.
My final conclusion after years of investigating (with the idea on a back burner on and off):  Too much financial risk and too much time involved on daily basis, to do it right.

This can't be done as a weekend hobby. Tenants want answers and solutions when (or very soon after) the problem occurs or most of them will walk pretty soon.

yes thats right especially if im having tentants living there i just dont know where to start, i guess i wouldnt buy an sim for 399$ a week but id start somewhere small since its my first time buying a sim.

Edited by Zopper

1 minute ago, Zopper said:

yes thats right especially if im having tentants living there i just dont know where to start, i guess i wouldnt buy and sim for 399 a week but id start somewhere small since its my first time buying a sim.

suggest that you start small. Buy some mainland up to some affordable tier size that won't break you if the land never rents

then use to your little land to learn how to set up and operate rental boxes, parcel controls and tenant group abilities. Create alt accounts of your own to act as your tenants til you understand how the mechanics of all this works, from both a landlord and tenant pov

once you have all the mechanics worked out then can start thinking about if this is really what you want to do

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

suggest that you start small. Buy some mainland up to some affordable tier size that won't break you if the land never rents

then use to your little land to learn how to set up and operate rental boxes, parcel controls and tenant group abilities. Create alt accounts of your own to act as your tenants til you understand how the mechanics of all this works, from both a landlord and tenant pov

once you have all the mechanics worked out then can start thinking about if this is really what you want to do

thankyou where can i find this mainland yeah its better for me to start small since its my first time

On 4/27/2021 at 12:27 PM, Zopper said:

anyone know someone i can get in touch with or anyone that works in the estates that is willing to help me.

o Don't start with a full sim, it's too hard, and you will be stuck with a big tier bill, and starting out, won't get enough tenants to fill it.

o Start with 8192 and see how it goes.

o Remember 80% occupancy is already a dead loss for you and will start to put you out of business unless you like this hobby.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.