Having trouble with my AO

Rumancekk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am using an Oracul AO that, at its base, is the free Basically Boy. It has several different animations put into it though that I can't seem to get to work right. I am not new to editing AOs. The AO I have is already so edited that it basically wasn't the same thing anymore and I had already replaced a lot of the animations. There way this one is edited is that there's a notecard with the animation names, and a bunch of animations, inside of it.

I replaced several. But there are some that just refuse to work. My crouch walk doesn't work. Instead of crouch walking it just does the normal walk instead even though I'm sure I'm crouched. I had no problems with the last one while crouching and it's basically the same AO.  (Oracul basically boy, but edited)

I made sure several times to see if it was in the AO. It was named correctly. It was correct in the notecard. It is not missing. It just doesn't play.

I also have approximately 3 sits, and only one of them will play. I have made sure the right sit is in there. I have even set it on the Oracul hud to use another sit specifically but it ignores it and does only one sit.

The AO also randomly likes to shut itself off. Instead of playing other animations it just stops. I'm stuck with no ao for a minute before it starts working again. I do have one of the options turned off (there are 3 stands with several stands in each catagorey, I have stand 3 turned off because I don't have enough animations) but I see it doing the same thing when I run

Any advice?

if you think it is the scripts that are corrupt (in some unknown way) then substitute fresh copies of the oracul.com, oracul.sub, oracul.sys scripts, in your AO

if that doesn't fix your issue, then is something wrong with your notecard

if you think the notecard is corrupt (in some unknown way) then copy paste the entire notecard text into an external ascii text editor (which will strip out any chars that are not ascii chars). The make a new notecard and copy paste the ascii text into the new notecard and stick it in your AO Contents

after doing both of these things and the issue still persists then there are typos in the notecard, typos which don't conform to Oracul system syntax

I do updates to my AOs using a copy of the AO. Then I can go back to the previous version. This lete me test whether it is SL or me that is causing the problem. If a previous unchanged AO has stopped working then it is likely the system or lag that is at fault. If only the new version is messed up... I probably screwed up.

This also lets me copy the two note cards control info into Word or another text editor and compare them. Often I'll find an overwritten/missing comma or something.

AOs don't usually break. I don't recall ever having one break. I have messed up a few. Also, since the Lab changed asset downloads to use HTTP error correcting protocol I haven't had problems with a corrupted cache. I've never had an animation file break.

There is the problem of using a new AO and an old AO. The older AOs poll the servers to see what the avatar is doing and then 'override' the server's default animation with one from the AO. If the servers are lagging animation changes will also lag.

The newer AOs use a newer SL feature (now years old) that tells the server to replace the default animations with those in the AO and no longer polls the server. More efficient, less data transfer, and generally more responsive. BUT... if you mix old and new versions of AO processes things go to cr@p. You'll see the avatar not animating, stalling. Often sliding rather than walking. Sometimes an unexpected animation plays or one of the animations in the set you are using doesn't load.

The mix can come from using two AO's, e.g.; the FS built in AO and a ZHAO II HUD. Or... a hand, body, head, HUD, or something else with a builtin script is playing animations that can be causing the mix.

Strip down to just your AO and test in a deserted and empty region. Furball is an empty Linden region with lots of empty regions around it. Experiment. Add more of your avatar until you are back to your basic set of parts that make up your avatar.

If you are still having problems, post in the Answers section and include all tech data on your computer and viewer (use the viewer's HELP->About...) and describe all you have done and where you are testing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

The newer AOs use a newer SL feature (now years old) that tells the server to replace the default animations with those in the AO and no longer polls the server. More efficient, less data transfer, and generally more responsive. BUT... if you mix old and new versions of AO processes things go to cr@p. You'll see the avatar not animating, stalling. Often sliding rather than walking. Sometimes an unexpected animation plays or one of the animations in the set you are using doesn't load.

Oooh, this actually makes sense of some weird stuff my avi has been doing. (I switched from a newer AO to an older AO for reasons, but hated some of the animations in it and replaced them with newer ones.) I get the stall and slide things sometimes.

21 minutes ago, BookishMelinoe said:

Oooh, this actually makes sense of some weird stuff my avi has been doing. (I switched from a newer AO to an older AO for reasons, but hated some of the animations in it and replaced them with newer ones.) I get the stall and slide things sometimes.

Remember. It isn't the animations that cause the problem. It is the AOs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Remember. It isn't the animations that cause the problem. It is the AOs.

This.

Animations only really are to blame if you're seeing jerky transitions between, for example stands - this often happens because at the end of a given animation, the avatar doesn't return to a 'neutral' state, thus when the new animation is started, the avatar will jerk into place.

Animations not starting is usually down to dodgy scripts within the AO. Some AOs have mod-enabled scripts which, if you're familiar with LSL, you can fix.

*very* rarely you may encounter a delayed start to the animation due to the asset server being slow. Usually stopping the animation and starting the animation again will solve the issue. Once it has been played once, it will be cached on your drive and will no longer have a delayed start.

1 minute ago, BookishMelinoe said:

The transitions between stands are actually working fine--it's the walk only. Sometimes it will take a second to start, or I'll float a few feet before starting to actually take steps. It's a minor annoyance at most, but hey, now I know why! :D 

Chances are then that you're using an old-style AO which uses a timer to poll the server to ask what you're doing (see what Nalates posted earlier).

Unfortunately with AOs there isn't always any way to tell which style you're using without opening up the scripts to look.

If you're feeling adventurous, I've got an AO which I've been working on for a while if you want to do some beta testing. (Which uses the new-style LSL commands to 'replace' your system animations, again see what Nalates posted!)

Alternately, see if you can learn how the AO built into your viewer works! :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jenna Huntsman said:

Chances are then that you're using an old-style AO which uses a timer to poll the server to ask what you're doing (see what Nalates posted earlier).

Unfortunately with AOs there isn't always any way to tell which style you're using without opening up the scripts to look.

If you're feeling adventurous, I've got an AO which I've been working on for a while if you want to do some beta testing. (Which uses the new-style LSL commands to 'replace' your system animations, again see what Nalates posted!)

Alternately, see if you can learn how the AO built into your viewer works! :P

Oh, it's definitely old! :D I'd been annoyed with some aspects of mine and asked a friend what she was using, because I liked it; turns out it was a really old one that is cheap on the Marketplace now, so I've been trying it out. But I liked my previous walk better, so here we are! I haven't decided yet whether I want to keep it, go back to my old(newer) one, or try something new altogether. But thanks to this thread, at least I know what's up!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.