Jump to content

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Actually, that's my peeve - the rez point being miles away from the main area O.o And then if you see all the green dots are in the sky...I can't be bothered to fly up and find the dancefloor, unless the place looks amazing...

If the landing point isn't a texture dense mall, separating it from the club is a good thing and can help smooth out the loading experience both for people arriving and in the club. This works better if its out of visual range and connected via a teleporter.

If the landing point is a mall the builder is an idiot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never liked being greeted in chat when arriving at a club, it's pure cringe and makes me want to immediately TP away.

I'm normally understanding of things that clubs have to do to serve customers and stay alive; but I have to admit that one particular thing just creeps me out.... Its when the club has an arrival

I agree but meanwhile... I don't know why clubs feel they need to greet me the moment I land.  It does come off as kind of creepy/stalky and I refuse to shout a return greeting nor do I bother saying

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Gem Oxygen said:

It's fake af either way, trust me,, hosts won't remember your name and any names hours later, but someone long ago figured out that when you greet someone by name, it gives the visitors the warm fuzzies, fake or not.

I greet people to start conversation perhaps friendship and I am honest about it. I am sure many others have same intention..

Saying welcome to some one a sign shows that you are friendly and up for conversation.. I am not doing it for fake intention or locking you down in one SIM :)

Perhaps welcome means something different in English :P

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to be greeted when I arrive in a club but I don't particularly mind if I'm not greeted (I probably wouldn't notice) and I don't mind if I get a greeting from a landing spot if it's a distance away. What I do mind is that when the landing spot IS a good distance away, the place has no-fly and tp-routing in place (which means I can't double-click-teleport to the club itself). If I have to walk through a mall to get to your club, well I'm not going to bother with either. 

Scripted greetings do annoy me though. They feel impersonal and do not make me feel like I am being genuinely greeted. You can make a scripted doormat for free that will do the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gem Oxygen said:

It's fake af either way, trust me,, hosts won't remember your name and any names hours later, but someone long ago figured out that when you greet someone by name, it gives the visitors the warm fuzzies, fake or not. For people who have no clue about social manners, cultural protocols, they don't know it's fake. It is proven when someone is given a personal touch welcome, they tend to stay longer, feel at home, obligated to stay longer. Stores in RL use this tactic, Wal mart greeters, high end dept stores, hotel doorman etc.

I love giving absurd greetings to new arrivals at venues I visit. Sometimes others jump in to help. I generally make it sound like everybody knows the person who's just arrived, and that we've been waiting impatiently for them so we could start the festivities. Sometimes I make it sound like we started a pool to guess their arrival time with "Who had Toby down for a 7:45 arrival? I had him down for 6:15." I've actually paid out (L$2) to people in the group who chimed in to play along.

I rarely know the people I'm greeting. I'll do this even on my first visit to a place, where I don't know anybody at all. An hour later, I might not remember the names of any of the people I've greeted. I still can't remember @Scylla Rhiadra's name, and I've been greeting her for over a decade. That doesn't mean my intentions are fake. My goal is to give people warm fuzzies. In exchange, I get to see them all warm and fuzzy.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I rarely know the people I'm greeting. I'll do this even on my first visit to a place, where I don't know anybody at all. An hour later, I might not remember the names of any of the people I've greeted. I still can't remember

But they won't forget you!

Creepy Lion gives approval greetings!

 

8E48A7C5-DD67-48F7-AC72-C47CBC15F021.jpeg

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind when the host or DJ greets me at the entrance or wherever. I sometimes say hi back and sometimes don't.

What bugs me is when the DJ's IM's you directly to thank you for being there and asks what song they can play for me, especially if I don't know them or have never been to their sets.  It makes me feel obligated to 1. choose a song and 2. tip them.  I know they are trying to be nice and personable so I usually just tell them I'm enjoying the music they are playing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I still can't remember @Scylla Rhiadra's name, and I've been greeting her for over a decade.

Don't think I haven't noticed, Mandy.

 

PS. When Maddy comes to a club, it's most often because I've TPed her there, so I can attest that she does, in fact, do exactly as she says here. It can be amusing to watch the responses of those she greets thusly. A few know her well enough to get the joke, but the majority, I think, are a bit bewildered.

But I'd bet there are a few, too, who are a bit flattered to be thus singled out for attention. And, joke or not, that's actually kind of nice.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If the landing point isn't a texture dense mall, separating it from the club is a good thing and can help smooth out the loading experience both for people arriving and in the club. This works better if its out of visual range and connected via a teleporter.

If the landing point is a mall the builder is an idiot.

One place my man used to DJ at had the landing point between the mall and the club. They were in separate buildings though.

 

49 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I don't mind when the host or DJ greets me at the entrance or wherever. I sometimes say hi back and sometimes don't.

What bugs me is when the DJ's IM's you directly to thank you for being there and asks what song they can play for me, especially if I don't know them or have never been to their sets.  It makes me feel obligated to 1. choose a song and 2. tip them.  I know they are trying to be nice and personable so I usually just tell them I'm enjoying the music they are playing.  

Rather have the DJ greet in local chat instead over the stream. It's annoying trying to enjoy the music when the DJ is consistently talking over the music.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, it depends. If the greeting is automated, or a gesture, it's borderline offensive. Better to leave it off.

If a host or someone is actually taking the time to type out a personalized greeting for each person, I recognize and respect the effort they're putting into that, even if they'll forget my name in 10 minutes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree about automated greetings, they are a waste of effort.  Either put in the effort to at least say hello with a bit of variety to each person or don't bother at all.

The topic title had me thinking quite different things however:

"Well Hello There" a low but deep voice unexpectedly whispers from close behind your right ear.  A cold shiver runs down your spine and you slowly turn around only to find thin air and the back wall of the room.
 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I agree about automated greetings, they are a waste of effort.  Either put in the effort to at least say hello with a bit of variety to each person or don't bother at all.

The topic title had me thinking quite different things however:

"Well Hello There" a low but deep voice unexpectedly whispers from close behind your right ear.  A cold shiver runs down your spine and you slowly turn around only to find thin air and the back wall of the room.
 

Fun!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I don't mind when the host or DJ greets me at the entrance or wherever. I sometimes say hi back and sometimes don't.

What bugs me is when the DJ's IM's you directly to thank you for being there and asks what song they can play for me, especially if I don't know them or have never been to their sets.  It makes me feel obligated to 1. choose a song and 2. tip them.  I know they are trying to be nice and personable so I usually just tell them I'm enjoying the music they are playing.  

Wow never in my life have I done that to anyone.   That IS creepy.  And manipulative.  If you pick a song then YOU feel obligated to tip them. That's bad. 

I've never had anyone do that to me, but they do I'll tell them, "I need to see if i like your music before I ask for a request. Don't IM me again."

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

What bugs me is when the DJ's IM's you directly to thank you for being there and asks what song they can play for me, especially if I don't know them or have never been to their sets.  It makes me feel obligated to 1. choose a song and 2. tip them.  I know they are trying to be nice and personable so I usually just tell them I'm enjoying the music they are playing.  

Nobody can make me feel obligated. That's something I do to myself.

I have had DJ's greet me with a request and I've been happy to offer up an amusing suggestion. It becomes a bit of a dare, and if the DJ accepts (or maybe even rejects gracefully) I'm more than happy to leave a tip.

It seems to me that this discussion sorta misses the crux of the issue. Creepy people are creepy. Neat people are neat. They can be so while doing exactly the same thing.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Speaking for myself, its not hard to get anxious about how well the audience is receiving what you’re streaming.

SL social norms differ in subtle ways from RL and this is complicated by the lack of involuntary physical subtext (body language). You can’t just look out from the DJ station and see who is engaged and who isn’t.

[[ just counting noses on the dancefloor is not as valuable as one might think. Many clubs have “contest guests” who are there to participate in a Linden$ contest and have zero interest in the music. I’m big into music and as someone who is there to entertain; I focus on the sono-philes. Even using the “active listeners” counter is fraught these days as people have Privacy concerns and have latched onto the ability to see details about listeners as a concern. ]]

So people making requests is a form of affirmation 🙂

I’m generally a social person and from a region that has a rep for “hospitality”; it never occurred to me that saying hello and asking someone if they had anything they wanted to hear would be creepy 🙂. I don’t ask new arrivals SPECIFICALLY if they have requests, but I actively ask the entire room and reinforce that I consider requests a valuable gift from the audience.

Also, if can inspire a shy avatar to make that romantic song request their their loved-one really likes; I may have done them a small favor. Small gestures COUNT!

So I try to interact with the guests in local chat and in IM.

Its not (for me) about how to more effectively fleece someone. I never actually do numbers on how much I clear after paying for a stream, music (I buy all mine), event clothing, avatar updates and prize $$ for contests. I KNOW its a money-pit every month even with decent traffic and if Sl does not kill the event by glitching.

I DJ because I like it :)

I’m an entertainer; I need to make sure I’m entertaining.

 

image.gif

Edited by Amanda Crisp
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Amanda Crisp said:

 

Also, if can inspire a shy avatar to make that romantic song request their their loved-one really likes; I may have done them a small favor. Small gestures COUNT!

So I try to interact with the guests in local chat and in IM.

 

I don't really think it's creepy but it does make me feel obligated to tip. There is one club that has auto messages in local that constantly ask for money for the club and DJ and host and one such message says "if you have a request for a DJ be sure to tip them as they have expenses every month to bring you great music and in parentheses they say (and they expect a tip if you request a song) so maybe that is where I'm getting it from. Those messages and then the constant requests from the host and DJ to tip really makes it for an unpleasant experience.  I will tip both the DJ and host if I feel entertained and they are playing great music.  I know all about tipping and if I feel that it has reached the point of begging I just won't tip at all. Something else also would encourage me to tip. If they don't use the standard "your tips help us keep the lights on". For some reason that really grates my nerves. Come up with something original and just don't go through the obligatory messages and I'll be more likely to tip.  There is a DJ that sends private message with a funny or inspiring quote but doesn't ask for tips or anything. She's a great DJ and really entertains when she DJ's. I tend to tip those types of people.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I don't really think it's creepy but it does make me feel obligated to tip. There is one club that has auto messages in local that constantly ask for money for the club and DJ and host and one such message says "if you have a request for a DJ be sure to tip them as they have expenses every month to bring you great music and in parentheses they say (and they expect a tip if you request a song) so maybe that is where I'm getting it from. Those messages and then the constant requests from the host and DJ to tip really makes it for an unpleasant experience.  I will tip both the DJ and host if I feel entertained and they are playing great music.  I know all about tipping and if I feel that it has reached the point of begging I just won't tip at all. Something else also would encourage me to tip. If they don't use the standard "your tips help us keep the lights on". For some reason that really grates my nerves. Come up with something original and just don't go through the obligatory messages and I'll be more likely to tip.  There is a DJ that sends private message with a funny or inspiring quote but doesn't ask for tips or anything. She's a great DJ and really entertains when she DJ's. I tend to tip those types of people.

Exactly why I don't bother with clubs anymore. DJ's knew what their expenses would be before they chose to become a 'DJ' - absolutely no excuse to guilt people into tipping them. Customers have expenses too and many have lost their jobs, so they're in SL on free accounts just to help them forget their hardships for a little while, so DJ's really need to pull their heads out of their butts and eat a dose of humble pie.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, it's annoying when they greet me from a million miles away. As I learned a few weeks ago when I dropped by a club just to unsubscribe from their eternally spamming subscriber, only to get "Hi (Display Name), welcome to the party!"

But I do figure DJ tips into my plans if I want to go out. It's a really minimal cost for entertainment when I compare it to how much I'd pay to go to a club IRL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kia Kiyori said:

Exactly why I don't bother with clubs anymore. DJ's knew what their expenses would be before they chose to become a 'DJ' - absolutely no excuse to guilt people into tipping them. Customers have expenses too and many have lost their jobs, so they're in SL on free accounts just to help them forget their hardships for a little while, so DJ's really need to pull their heads out of their butts and eat a dose of humble pie.

 

Those aren't DJs. Not in the "traditional" sense of the word. None of them have been to broadcasting school in real life. The ones that have are the "real" DJs. Majority of what you find in SL are "spin doctors". They really don't know the first thing about broadcasting. All they really know is how to put an album on and scratch the hell out of it.

The real DJs don't IM people begging for tips in exchange for a request. They never ask for tips. That is the host(ess)'s job. I know because I have owned/operated a few clubs in SL and my RL husband has been a DJ in RL after graduating from broadcasting school. 

It's rare to find a club these days that is run the way a club should be run. Most of the people who owned them are gone now or sold the bar to someone who really does not have a clue. Edit: Not you Kimmie.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly do not like attention because aspergers came with social anxiety. I once built up enough courage to go to a furry club, then someone yelled(shouted) "<UNICODE GLITTER> HELLO CHASER ZAKS WELCOME TO <CLUB>!!! HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR STAY! <UNICODE GLITTER>" the second I arrived. It made me leave immediately because my anxiety shot through the roof.

Not going to another club ever again.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...