Creepy Greetings

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1057 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm normally understanding of things that clubs have to do to serve customers and stay alive; but I have to admit that one particular thing just creeps me out....

Its when the club has an arrival point that's far from the dance floor, but they have a notifier tell the Host when you land there - so you can get this creepy long-distance "Hello X" from someone who's out of chat range.

I'm not sure WHY that bugs me.... Maybe it feels a little stalky.

When I work at places that use it, I've had more than one guest complain that; "Your host busted me while I was seeing if my Ex was there." (I explain about the virtues of Block/Mute/De-Render then normally)

I guess everyone has one "thing" and this is mine 🙂

giphy.gif

Edited by Amanda Crisp
spelling
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I vote we move this one to the Pet Peeve thread!

I agree but meanwhile... I don't know why clubs feel they need to greet me the moment I land.  It does come off as kind of creepy/stalky and I refuse to shout a return greeting nor do I bother saying hello when I do get within chat range.  Glad I'm not the only one it bothers.

• Like 7

I guess it's just how I was taught to work as a DJ, Host, or bartender.  I greet people when the COME IN the club. Not before.   It doesn't bother me to have people greet me when I come into the club proper. In fact I expect it.  If no one greets me in their official capacity, I generally leave.   If i'm not good enough to greet, the club isn't good enough for me.

• Like 7

Just now, Doris Johnsky said:

I guess it's just how I was taught to work as a DJ, Host, or bartender.  I greet people when they COME IN the club. Not before.   It doesn't bother me to have people greet me when I come into the club proper. In fact I expect it.  If no one greets me in their official capacity, I generally leave.   If i'm not good enough to greet, the club isn't good enough for me.

The miles-away-hello doesn’t terribly bother me. I assume it’s highly scripted and therefore absolutely valueless; so, like most of these scripted congenialities, I just ignore it—and sometimes actually mute it, to filter out fake chat spam. Every now & then this means I end up muting the owner or host, but that’s alright: they’re probably too busy if they need a script to do their talk, anyway.

What does creep me out is when a host goes way overboard and, upon my first ever entrance into the club, greets me like “Ren! So glad to see you!”—or, even worse, “Long time no see!”. I don’t mind an unrealistic script; like any chatterbot, there’s limits to what they can do, and if one is programmed to say it’s my loving husband, it has to do it. But a human being actually (or at least presumably) thinking thru what they type? Yeah, no, I’d rather take my chances with the bot: at least they have no choice in the matter.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Never liked being greeted in chat when arriving at a club, it's pure cringe and makes me want to immediately TP away.

Really? I would have felt rude when I was hosting if I didn't say hello to anyone who TPd in. Especially if they were new, or might be shy. 

Though I never worked anywhere using one of those shouters...

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1

Before reading this topic I had never though of that. Greeter shouts everyone who enters parcel so I know who is visiting. I don't do it as job (host etc..) but I say hello welcome etc.. to everyone who visits my friend's place.. It seems some people consider it creepy :P  maybe I shall avoid doing it.

I am trying to make them comfortable if they feeling like stranger.. Trying start a conversation if they are looking for chat.

The main reason why the bland auto-greet scripts annoy me is that some 'hosts' don't take them off when they've finished their shift, so they teleport around shopping events and stores, spamming generic "Hi $NAME, and welcome!" messages at everyone who arrives after them.

This makes them look like an official greeter or manager for the store, and I've had to IM quite a few of them to request that they detach their greeter when they land at the Catwa store and start welcoming everyone (me included). Apparently, many of them are so accustomed to ignoring the incessant chatter that they don't even realise it's spamming everyone around them... ¬¬

<REDACTED>: Hello Welcome Skell
<REDACTED>: Hello Welcome <REDACTED>
Skell Dagger: <REDACTED> - I'm a manager here. I don't need a welcome, but thank you.

7 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

I guess it's just how I was taught to work as a DJ, Host, or bartender.  I greet people when the COME IN the club. Not before.   It doesn't bother me to have people greet me when I come into the club proper. In fact I expect it.  If no one greets me in their official capacity, I generally leave.   If i'm not good enough to greet, the club isn't good enough for me.

Yeah, I’m in the greet me camp. I don’t mind if it’s a script, because it can be hard to keep track of who’s coming and going if there a lot of people coming and going. Especially when they’re triggering all those gestures that everyone loves.

If I don’t leave right away, I’m looking for someplace else to go. The DJ might save them, but I’m definitely making my way out.

3 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Really? I would have felt rude when I was hosting if I didn't say hello to anyone who TPd in. Especially if they were new, or might be shy. 

There is a difference between being greeted after entering a club, perhaps after being given a moment to find a spot, and being announced on the landing point half a region away.

Shy people do not like being announced. It does not help with the shyness, it makes the people around the shy person feel better because look! they got it to talk, yay shyness cured.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

My creeped out feeling only happens when I am coming to an arrival point far from the dance floor and out of visual range of the Host.

When I DJ or fill in as a host, I do my best to greet new arrivals -when they hit the dance floor- . IMHO - Making people feel welcome and remembered us what Hosting is all about.

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886bc9973c6efcacfc605

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Shy people do not like being announced. It does not help with the shyness, it makes the people around the shy person feel better because look! they got it to talk, yay shyness cured.

I meant more that I've seen a few people in the Make Friends section saying they find it hard to speak to people and feel more comfortable if others say hi first, so it's just a way of opening up an opportunity. But sure, everyone has their preferences :)

13 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

There is a difference between being greeted after entering a club, perhaps after being given a moment to find a spot, and being announced on the landing point half a region away.

Actually, that's my peeve - the rez point being miles away from the main area O.o And then if you see all the green dots are in the sky...I can't be bothered to fly up and find the dancefloor, unless the place looks amazing...

Edited by Rat Luv

5 minutes ago, Amanda Crisp said:

what Hosting is all about.

I still don't understand hosting thing.. I mean what they do?

I have seen club owners paying for it but I don't understand why. Saying welcome to some one just because it is your job still smells fake even if its not scripted :P

• Like 1

If a venue can't be arsed to give a live greeting, I can't be arsed to hang around. If I wanted to be greeted by an impersonal bot, I'd pick up the phone and play the guessing game with the impersonal menus.

Better yet, don't greet me at all. If I wanted my presence announced I would announce it myself. And ffs get rid of those boards that put people's profile image up for everyone to see. Yes, they do ask your permission. Now (some still don't). The problem is, those boards went out of style 10 years ago.  

Tl;dr If you are going to greet me do so in person, but don't shout at me from half a sim/region away. I will leave.

• Like 2

As a DJ in a few clubs, I can tell you why they do that, because some greeter huds do not show the distance so hosts do not know if you are 34 meters away or 10 meters away. If they are using some sort of radar hud or built in viewer radar it simply is because they do not pay attention, they are busy doing club stuff in local( meaning they too busy clicking gesture spam, posting announcments) looking at boards, or in IM's. Mainly because they just do not pay attention, they are not there to select distance, personality types, weed out stalkers, creepy exes, as long as the region owner, sponsor of said club see they are greeting they do not care beyond that.There is not real training of hosts, greeters, just a bunch of rules thrown at them and tossed in the fire to go..  Some clubs, places do not even allow the use of HUD greeters. Heck some people greet avatars that have come in, stood there and left 2 mins ago because they don't even use a radar.I find greeting someone who has not even gotten IN the club weird and unprofessional and I am IN the club already, it tells me the greeter is not paying attention or lacking useful tools or can't multitask very well..

I work as hostess but don't use greeter hud, I type my greetings as my radar tells me when someone comes in the region then chat range but the club I work does have chat extender so it can be seen however I wait a minute to make sure they won't tp out because it gives them time to rez and decide if they want to stay or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RunawayBunny said:

I don't like script welcomes it feels fake.. If you want "truly welcome some one" just take your time and type it.. If you are doing it for job get to point instead of welcome describe how to contact with support etc.. Just my opinion 😛

It's fake af either way, trust me,, hosts won't remember your name and any names hours later, but someone long ago figured out that when you greet someone by name, it gives the visitors the warm fuzzies, fake or not. For people who have no clue about social manners, cultural protocols, they don't know it's fake. It is proven when someone is given a personal touch welcome, they tend to stay longer, feel at home, obligated to stay longer. Stores in RL use this tactic, Wal mart greeters, high end dept stores, hotel doorman etc.

35 minutes ago, RunawayBunny said:

I still don't understand hosting thing.. I mean what they do?

I have seen club owners paying for it but I don't understand why. Saying welcome to some one just because it is your job still smells fake even if its not scripted :P

I can answer that 🙂

The Host is most valuable at busy events by freeing the DJ up to focus on the music and fulfilling requests.

My Host stays engaged by;

1. -Greeting people as they appear,
  2. -Talking about upcoming events and club offerings like Live Music or New Resident resources.
  3. -Fielding requests when I am semi-away from keyboard looking at another screen to acquire music that was already requested.
  4. -Answering questions from the New Residents who show up (how to dance, how the contests work, questions about SL) and being a good SL citizen.
  5. -Trying to delicately handle the occasional guest who is not playing well with others or actively looking to cause drama. This is what a small segment finds amusing, but in many cases a good Host can resolve any honest misunderstandings before we hit the Ban/Mute stage. 
  6. -Answering TP requests in group chat and beaming Guests who request it to the club. Also fielding chat from people trying to get into the sim when things are full.
  7. -Keeping the DJ calm when things get stressful 🙂

This is a short list, but at the level of a busy event - Hosts earn their money.

I have Hosted and DJ’d; hosting was harder.

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886bc9973c6efcacfc605

Edited by Amanda Crisp
Better formatting
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1057 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.