Help Wanted in Setting up a Reliable Day Night Cycle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 873 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm at my wit's end! And FS Support (English) suggested I post here.

I need some help in setting the Environment on my whole region, an island called Faerun; and I'm happy to pay for someone's kind help in-world.
I've read the basic instructions, https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_eep done my best, followed relevant threads here on this Forum, and simply CANNOT get the day-night cycle to work. Or if it works, it hasn't saved when I log back in. It's not the kind of thing I can sort out via this Forum...

I need hand-holding. I'll pay L$1000 if someone who knows what they're doing (I've been in SL 15 years...  suspect I'm missing something very simple!) Someone who can give me step by stop instructions in-world, and stick by me until we get it working.

I have a notecard that specifies my difficulty for anyone who wishes to contact me. I'm in-world every day between 1.30 and 2.30pm SL time; or just drop me an IM (gets repeated to my RL e-mail).

Christi Maeterlinck

• Like 1

Thank you Rowan.

First- I’ve no idea what Black Dragon might be, so that’s not an option.

Second, the fs_day_cycle document which you kindly provided looks horrendous. As I mentioned in my posting, I need in-world handholding- this isn’t the sort of thing one can do via a reference in this here Forum! But thank you for trying.

I shall simply go back to using Shared Environment as specified in World/Environment, with the Day Cycle set at 4 hour day, 1 hour night in World/Region details/Region/Environment, and live with the absurdity that this shows as Day Cycle ‘None’ in the Quick Reference window. (How can it be ‘None’!!! that’s what’s been confusing me all along.)

I asked for handholding because, it seems to me, as a 15 year SL member, the whole system has become ridiculously,horrendously over-complicated. Few of us are techie enough to have to cope at this level. I suppose FS are doing their best to implement the ‘improvements’ created in the LL viewer, but since LL are not noted for their user sympathy or imagination, FS’s best efforts leave most of us floundering.

Thank you again and bye!

Christi

• Like 1

PS to Rowan, and anyone else puzzled about all this.

My difficulty turns out to hang on an inconsistency in labelling the settings by LL.

World/Environment should be selected as 'USE Shared Environment'. I use the default Day Cycle of  a 4 hour day, 1 hour night,; the one we're all used to, given there.

And here's the thing... I IGNORE te fact that this shows up as 'Day Cyce: NONE' in Quick Preferences. I do NOT set that to 'Day Cycle: default', since that switches off the Shared Environment setting.

Crazy....

7 hours ago, Christi Maeterlinck said:

Thank you Rowan.

First- I’ve no idea what Black Dragon might be, so that’s not an option.

Second, the fs_day_cycle document which you kindly provided looks horrendous. As I mentioned in my posting, I need in-world handholding- this isn’t the sort of thing one can do via a reference in this here Forum! But thank you for trying.

I shall simply go back to using Shared Environment as specified in World/Environment, with the Day Cycle set at 4 hour day, 1 hour night in World/Region details/Region/Environment, and live with the absurdity that this shows as Day Cycle ‘None’ in the Quick Reference window. (How can it be ‘None’!!! that’s what’s been confusing me all along.)

I asked for handholding because, it seems to me, as a 15 year SL member, the whole system has become ridiculously,horrendously over-complicated. Few of us are techie enough to have to cope at this level. I suppose FS are doing their best to implement the ‘improvements’ created in the LL viewer, but since LL are not noted for their user sympathy or imagination, FS’s best efforts leave most of us floundering.

Thank you again and bye!

Christi

He was saying that in black dragon it saves.  In firestorm, you have to first create a new setting in inventory.  Like creating a new notecard?  There is the option now to create a new setting.  This is what you start with in order to save an EEP.  Open new setting from inventory then edit then save. 

Eta...Black Dragon is the viewer he created that many people use.

Edited by Rowan Amore

27 minutes ago, Christi Maeterlinck said:

Ah.... well it certainly looks stunning, Rowan.

Alas, though, it's for PCs and I run a Mac. Draw on your brain, the size of a planet to judge by the PC version, to create a Mac version and I for one will beat a path to your door!

Christi

Oh no, I didn't create it.  @NiranV Deandid.  His was the reply I cited above.  He's the one with the brain.  Well, I do have one just not the size of a planet.  😄

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2021 at 7:22 AM, Christi Maeterlinck said:

I'm at my wit's end! And FS Support (English) suggested I post here.

I need some help in setting the Environment on my whole region, an island called Faerun; and I'm happy to pay for someone's kind help in-world.
I've read the basic instructions, https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_eep done my best, followed relevant threads here on this Forum, and simply CANNOT get the day-night cycle to work. Or if it works, it hasn't saved when I log back in. It's not the kind of thing I can sort out via this Forum...

I need hand-holding. I'll pay L$1000 if someone who knows what they're doing (I've been in SL 15 years...  suspect I'm missing something very simple!) Someone who can give me step by stop instructions in-world, and stick by me until we get it working.

I have a notecard that specifies my difficulty for anyone who wishes to contact me. I'm in-world every day between 1.30 and 2.30pm SL time; or just drop me an IM (gets repeated to my RL e-mail).

Christi Maeterlinck

Did you manage to solve your problem?

Hello Sakura!

Thanks ever so much for getting in touch. I resolved the problem: see my two postings dated April 30th in reply to Rowan, esp.

On 4/30/2021 at 7:33 AM, Christi Maeterlinck said:

Kind regards,

Christi

• 4 months later...
On 4/30/2021 at 7:55 AM, Christi Maeterlinck said:

PS to Rowan, and anyone else puzzled about all this.

My difficulty turns out to hang on an inconsistency in labelling the settings by LL.

World/Environment should be selected as 'USE Shared Environment'. I use the default Day Cycle of  a 4 hour day, 1 hour night,; the one we're all used to, given there.

And here's the thing... I IGNORE te fact that this shows up as 'Day Cyce: NONE' in Quick Preferences. I do NOT set that to 'Day Cycle: default', since that switches off the Shared Environment setting.

Crazy....

OH thank you so much Christi! This made all the difference to me. I was struggling with the same problem. I created a day cycle that I liked, and couldn't seem to apply it in sync with the 24 hours cycle I switched to. And your comment here solved it for me. As you said.. once I clicked into 'World -> Environment-> Use Shared Environment': voila!.. my chosen day cycle was applied correctly - i.e it reflected the right time of day! (I'm so happy to be able to have it reflect my rl day (at least on some days!))    AND - I so agree.. how strange, that when you select - Use Shared Environment -  it shows up as 'day cycle - none' in the quick preferences in firestorm.?!!    Utterly confusing - I would not have likely fixed this without seeing your comment. Thanks a million! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 873 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.