You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, this being the first ever forum post I guess I may accidentally ruffle some feathers. And trust me, I don't mean to be rude or critical of anyone. I have been overwhelmed with curiosity about this subject for the last 13yrs.

Whether Im in world shopping or just bouncing around on Marketplace, I am bombarded with provocative sexual adds for user created fetish items. I'm in no way trying to criticize a persons lifestyle or choices, How can I edit my search tab to work with me instead of against me? I mean really. I type in "Mesh Tools" in the category of "Building components" and get a window full of strap on's, Bodily fluid add ons, and washing machines that do more than wash your clothes. This is getting sick in my opinion. The 2 questions that always come to mind first is 1. Do we have this many freaks on SL? And 2. How can I block out all of these related items in my search? The people who post these creations are very smart when it comes to search metadata. They seem to select every word in every countries dialect. Which makes it virtually impossible to not see them.

With that said, What is your opinion on this matter? Just an FYI you will not change my mind so don't try. Im just nosey about yalls opinions.

-Audio-

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Audio Reinerman said:

How can I block out all of these related items in my search?

If you are in BUILDING COMPONENTS as you say, to the left there is a menu to select permissions.  Check, copy/modify/transfer and that should pull up just the copy/modify/transfer full perm items in BUILDING COMPONENTS.  Doing this may help.  I'm gathering you are speaking about non full perm items that show up in BUILDING COMPONENTS?  It shouldn't be copy/mod items in there but they do it.  So, checking copy/modify/transfer should eliminate those that aren't full perm.  I'm thinking this because I've never seen a full perm washer that came equipped with animations before.

Edited by FairreLilette

1 hour ago, Audio Reinerman said:

So, this being the first ever forum post I guess I may accidentally ruffle some feathers. And trust me, I don't mean to be rude or critical of anyone. I have been overwhelmed with curiosity about this subject for the last 13yrs.

Whether Im in world shopping or just bouncing around on Marketplace, I am bombarded with provocative sexual adds for user created fetish items. I'm in no way trying to criticize a persons lifestyle or choices, How can I edit my search tab to work with me instead of against me? I mean really. I type in "Mesh Tools" in the category of "Building components" and get a window full of strap on's, Bodily fluid add ons, and washing machines that do more than wash your clothes. This is getting sick in my opinion. The 2 questions that always come to mind first is 1. Do we have this many freaks on SL? And 2. How can I block out all of these related items in my search? The people who post these creations are very smart when it comes to search metadata. They seem to select every word in every countries dialect. Which makes it virtually impossible to not see them.

With that said, What is your opinion on this matter? Just an FYI you will not change my mind so don't try. Im just nosey about yalls opinions.

-Audio-

Turn off Adult.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Audio Reinerman said:

I type in "Mesh Tools" in the category of "Building components" and get a window full of strap on's, Bodily fluid add ons, and washing machines that do more than wash your clothes. This is getting sick in my opinion.

That's funny - I just replicated that exact search, under the default "Relevance" sort and with adult results enabled, and see nothing of the kind.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Turn off Adult.

I'm wondering if he's referring to the "Featured Items" at the top of the list. I do see a fair number of sex toys, poses, etc. appearing there.

If that's the case, then turning off "Adult" would indeed fix the problem.

3 hours ago, Audio Reinerman said:

And trust me, I don't mean to be rude or critical of anyone.

3 hours ago, Audio Reinerman said:

Do we have this many freaks on SL?

These two statements are incompatible.

I too would prefer to see less of the sex/bondage stuff on MP. But it's unnecessary to cast value judgements about these products or their users for merely that reason.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

That's funny - I just replicated that exact search, under the default "Relevance" sort and with adult results enabled, and see nothing of the kind.

16 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Me neither.  Not one adult item.

I've had it happen. I do have adult enabled though. Not because I search for the adult stuff but because some things won't show up without it on and those things have not been sex related. They show up mostly in the last pages mixed in with the ... more relevant items. Don't ask me why or how it happens. It just does. Only thing I can think of is merchants using terms that aren't really appropriate but gets the hits. There are many impulse buyers in SL.

When it gets to be too much I change the dropdown to moderate/general. Then again, I'm used to seeing it and mostly ignore it. Sometimes though... yeah eye and brain bleach. lol

21 minutes ago, colleen Criss said:

Me either. 🙊 but in 13 years I'd think Audio would have figured out searches. That is my only opinion on this subject.

After 12 years, not a whole lot surprises me about SL.  I usually don't give items I'm not interested in/looking for a second glance.

• Like 1

I have Adult switched off but if I search for Tiny (for, you know, things for Tinies) I tend to switch off Moderate as well, but I still get a depressing number of pictures of impossibly small bikinis, and the other day I saw one such that made no attempt to hide areas of the body that are not permitted outside of Adult.  It quite put me off my breakfast.  Of course I flagged it.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Missed a bit.

Sometimes I wish there was a strict STRICT armor-plated category system in the marketplace and that attempting to defeat it would result in the listing not showing up anywhere at all.  Oh, wait ....

Hmm, intrigued by the OP, I logged into the marketplace to try and duplicate the response,

On general, and moderate settings, nothing of what was stated was found.

On general, moderate and adult, i found a bdsm tool rack, however that is used i have no idea.

On adult only, however, i did find what the OP stated.

A simple solution would be to turn off adult settings, as i cannot duplicate issues stated that way. (I hope that will help)

3 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

It's there as I remembered seeing it also.

It's not BUILDING COMPONENT and typing in MESH TOOLS though as the OP makes it out to seem.

It's BUILDING AND OBJECT COMPONENTS > Mesh Creator Tools > Avatar Accessories (set on Relevance).  

I didn't try yet with unblocking Adult.  Unblocking Adult doesn't always work as I see full frontal nudity under GENERAL all the time.  

7 hours ago, Audio Reinerman said:

"Mesh Tools" in the category of "Building components" and get a window full of strap on's. 

Using this search:  BUILDING AND OBJECT COMPONENTS > MESH CREATOR TOOLS > AVATAR ACCESSORIES, I found pages and pages of sex related "toys" under RELEVANCE.   If turning off Adult doesn't work, you could try a search other than Relevance, such as newest first (means shows newest items first).  Otherwise, learn to live with it and make peace with it as this is SL and SL is partly an Adults-Only business.  If you are looking for a specific avatar accessory such as a hat, type in the search box the word HAT and that way you can pull up more of what you are looking for.  

Edited by FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.