Touch LLDialog not working if the object is attached to an Avatar

naughtyniece

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1062 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have an object and if I place it on the floor and touch it, my script works perfectly, opens a dialog with several options, as expected

However, if i attach the object to my Avatar, it does not respond when touched, do i need a different touch command or am i missing a simple thing?

thanks a lot

Joanie

4 answers to this question

On 4/26/2021 at 12:41 PM, Rolig Loon said:

One possibility .... llDialog works by sending a chat message to the person who activates it.  If whoever touches your attachment is more than 20 meters away (the normal distance limit for chat), the message won't be received.

Actually from the tests I did last time I was interested in this I found that to not be the case. llDialog is WEIRD and the tl;dr is that if the llDialog() call and the listener are in the same object, the dialoging avatar can be a few sims away. (the llDialog response 'emanates' from the object that had the llDialog() call, but the message has the name and key of the responding avatar)

As for the OP, the only thing I can think of is if the attachment is mesh, rigged clothing can be nigh impossible to touch. Try right-click -> touch from the object's name in your inventory and see if that still fails to register the touch event.

On 4/27/2021 at 4:01 AM, naughtyniece said:

I have an object and if I place it on the floor and touch it, my script works perfectly, opens a dialog with several options, as expected

However, if i attach the object to my Avatar, it does not respond when touched, do i need a different touch command or am i missing a simple thing?

start with checking for the more obvious causes

like the attached object might be obscured by another attachment. (Some attachments have large transparent surfaces which we can't see, so we end up touching them instead of our object). Test this by moving your attachment high above your head or way out to the side, then touch

if this is not the case then try it on another region

if not this then try attaching to alt account and see if that works

when rule out these possible causes then can start looking into the script itself

sometimes attached scripts do not fire touch_start events in some narrow circumstances. Try changing the script to use touch_end event

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1062 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.