Let’s Share! Rezz it for me type thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

Why a group at all? Many companies in SL offer houses for rent on their land. Why not offer a house for rent, but placed on the customers land? He don't need to join a group for that. I'm not sure, but I guess the house owner could even add a rentbox.

I think the idea is that a group member can ask for items in group chat, the items being just about anything. And if someone has an item they can share, they share it. Also members could offer items in group chat.

37 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

when the ability to rent furnished parcels came to SL, a few creators at the time thought the sky was going to fall and that they be all out of business. So they started releasing their furnishings as No-Copy/Transfer items

When was that? I joined SL at the end of 2006 and, at that time, furnished accommodations were very common and I am sure were more used than renting parcels. So landlords were already furnishing most of the accommodations in SL.

Edited by Phil Deakins

4 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I think the idea is that a group member can ask for items in group chat, the items being just about anything. And if someone has an item they can share, they share it. Also members could offer items in group chat.

Ah, I understand.  Sounds like an interesting idea. I'm always in need for buildings which I can use a picture gallery.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I'm leaning towards disagreeing with that. First, the number of people for whom SL produces their RL livelihood can probably be counted on one hand, maybe two hands at the most, but probably just one. There are others for whom SL earnings add to their RL, but it isn't their actual livelihood. So there are very few people who fit your description and who may not be happy. Second, of the people you described, my bet would be that most, if not all, would be happy to see many more of their items around SL, even if they hadn't sell them all to the people who are using them.

My reason for the second part is, back in the days of yore, I was one of the few who was cashing out enough from SL for it to be my RL livelihood (low prim furniture), and a decent livelihood too. I didn't treat it as such but I could have done. I would have liked my stuff to be all over SL, even if each item hadn't been bought from me. At least I think that would have been my attitude. I am sure that I would have seen even more sales because of it, for two reason:- 1. people prefer to own the things they use rather than rely on someone else for them (someone already mentioned that), and 2. it would be exceptionally good advertising.

Incidentally, having a "sim size shop" doesn't mean that it produces enough profit after costs (the sim's tier) to live on. Such places may run at a loss, or only make enough for the tier and maybe a bit extra.

You know, I don't think that the big ones spend endless hours only to please the community.
There has to be at least something in it for them.
And I already know 3 full time SL merchants who make their RL income from SL from that other SL forum. And they ain't the real big ones in the bussiness. And they are not in the body parts or clothing section.
So there are many more than a hand full, I'm certain.

If swapping stuff becomes general practice, my prediction is, the only really professional eying new goods that will hit the market then, will in the fashion department.
There swapping is impossible without transfer rights.

SL will not die because of it. A lot of people will not notice the difference because they are only or mainly in SL for the Barbie and Ken dress up.
And those who are in it for some nice humping, they will have the right furniture in their inventory already,
But the fun for a lot of big\commercial builders will be killed.
Not for me personally, as I already stated I'm in business for the fun of it. And still a small potato in the field.
So I stay with my opinion that starting  swapping groups is a bad idea in the end.

Edited by Sid Nagy

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

When was that? I joined SL at the end of 2006 and, at that time, furnished accommodations were more usual than unfurnished?

about that time it started in earnest end 2006 thru 2007 with the big influx of new people. Fully furnished homes popping up for rent all over. And reached its zenith with low-rent fully-furnished skybox homes jammed into the sky above the landlords parcels

1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

about that time it started in earnest end 2006 thru 2007 with the big influx of new people. Fully furnished homes popping up for rent all over. And reached its zenith with low-rent fully-furnished skybox homes jammed into the sky above the landlords parcels

Ah. So what you described happened as, or before, I arrived. At that time I wouldn't have noticed anyone expecting the sky to fall :)

3 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Ah. So what you described happened as, or before, I arrived. At that time I wouldn't have noticed anyone expecting the sky to fall :)

it also affected the plants/flowers/grass/tree/bush market for a while.  Some creators of these thought that they could make more money by making each No-Copy/Transfer.  Like they thought customers would buy 10 or 20 of the same plants for 50L each

never happened. People bought a Copy/NoTransfer plant for 300L

@Sid Nagy

Size isn't a good indicator. My store was never anywhere near sim-sized and yet it earned a lot.

I still think there are only a few people who make their sole RL livelihood from SL. There are others who say that their livelihood depends on SL earnings but that's not the same thing. It's often a case of their livelihood being boosted by SL earnings.

We have different opinions, but we'll never know which is the correct one unless the OP's idea becomes widespread and, even then, different creators would no doubt have completely different views of it. When I was selling, I would have had your opinion.

One thing we do agree on is that Rene Artois is an ok guy :)

1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

it also affected the plants/flowers/grass/tree/bush market for a while.  Some creators of these thought that they could make more money by making each No-Copy/Transfer.  Like they thought customers would buy 10 or 20 of the same plants for 50L each

never happened. People bought a Copy/NoTransfer plant for 300L

I never sold copyable furniture. I did quantity discounts instead, and landlords did buy them. But your 'plants' example is different. People with homes didn't need the plants like they needed the furniture.

For me, it wasn't about making more money. It was only about me not wanting to sell an item, even for 3x the normal price (which some landlords offered), and have it rezzed in dozens of accommodations. Today I'm thinking differently :)

23 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

For me, it wasn't about making more money. It was only about me not wanting to sell an item, even for 3x the normal price (which some landlords offered), and have it rezzed in dozens of accommodations. Today I'm thinking differently :)

the No-Copy/Transfer market has come into its own with the introduction of gacha. The concept of Rare has really helped this along. People who are into collecting things really love gacha

is something to think about if you are going to get back into making low-cost-entry products

there is this one guy who makes little potted plants (similar to bonsai) and sells them as gacha for 50L a pop

and people collect them all. And chase the rares and pay truckloads for them

each year he makes a special one-time rare. Which gets auctioned off inworld for RFL

this lady I know has collected all of his potted plants, and had won every auction for the previous 3 years. Her vampire  castle has a whole room dedicated to these plants. The last time I went by she told me about that years auction. She bid 78,000L and thought she had it. Then lost to her friend who overbid 120,000L just like. 78k going once, going twice... 120k. Which she couldn't afford to top. And now her friend has that rare and she doesn't. She was still a little bit miffed weeks later when I went by her place. As she said, she takes a little comfort that is her friend and she can go and see what she doesn't have

Edited by Mollymews

@Mollymews

WOW!

Or to put it another way... >>>WOW<<<

78k and 120k for a plant? I'm totally lost for words. I am the living embodiment of what it is to be 'gobsmacked'. I used to sell a bonsai tree. Maybe I should auction it lol.

My stuff was no-copy from the start - many years before gatchas were dreamed up. If I were to do furniture again, I think I may still do no-copy, in spite of what I've written in this thread. As it is, though, I made 3 varieties of security devices, which I sell. That was just to keep me occupied while I sit out the lockdowns. They are no-copy, although I did make a copyable version of one of them, which I've sold to just 2 people. I'm not going to get properly into business again. I still get the occasional person wanting something I used to sell. In those cases, I sell them copyable versions. They won't get copied widely because all my old stuff is so old that it only belongs in museums or retro/period homes.

Edited by Phil Deakins

One of my favourite creators allows you to take your unopened gacha items, rez them in a special location which a scripted vendor then checks and deletes before sending you a copy/no transfer version without having to pay anything extra.  They do this for every gacha set they have produced.  Now that is service.  They are a major player in their genre and I don't think they care one whit about people using their items they paid for where ever and however they want.  I expect they consider the more rezzed items there are around SL, the more advertising they are getting.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

Or to put it another way... >>>WOW<<<

the whole gacha thing is to me quite extraordinary.  I think tho we have be a collector of things to truly understand it

some more anecdotes about this

i like to buy hand jewellery from this creator

i went to their shop one time and they had put a big sign on the wall behind the front foyer desk. It said that they were wanting to obtain the last piece missing from their gacha set. And were offering to pay 40,000L for it and if anyone had it could they please get in touch

i was like 40k ?!

on a lower price level that affected me personally

i saw a wearable puppy inworld attached to this person. And I thought I so want one of them. So ask the person where I can get it.  They say is a gacha item and give me the LM to the shop

is 50L a play and it says the puppy I want is a common. So I have a go and get a hug puppy. gah! Have another go and get a puppy in a stocking. gah! Go again and another hug puppy. gah! gah!. Ok! not good. Have another go. Get a dog not a puppy. gah! gah! gah!. 200L down the drain. Ok one more go and \o/ I get my puppy

a couple of weeks later I run into this other person who has the same puppy. So we have a bit of a chat like you do. I mention that it took me 5 goes to get it. And we have a bit of laugh about that. I mention about the others one I got but I don't like them as much. And the lady goes: Did you say adult companion dog?. So I have a look in my inventory and say Yes thats what it says. And she goes: check the marketplace. And there were about 6 of them listed for sale between 600L and 2000L. And I am like really! I have still have it in my inventory. And the puppy  in the stocking which I never liked either, was a rare as well and listed for 600L

and I was like who pays that ?? but seems people do. They just want to have them and they have the discretionary income to do so

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

So you walk naked in SL ?
It is almost standard practice in the fashion department to sell copy only.

Well, Sid  . . . I think my relative state of dress or undress in-world is really none of your business . . .

Yes, you are indeed quite right: most of my clothing is copy but not mod. I stand corrected. Thank your for underlining the ginormeous hole in my wardrobe argument . . .

😏

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mollymews said:

People who are into collecting things really love gacha

Not being someone who loves "collecting" things, this hadn't occurred to me. Interesting!

Of course, commerce in one of a kind, or even just very rare objects needn't rely upon gacha as the mechanism for vending, as your example of the auctions suggests. And I know at least one major clothing maker who makes "special" variants on items in their line available for a limited time only.

I still have some problems, ethically and otherwise, with gachas. But I now have a better understanding of the appeal for some, at least.

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Not being someone who loves "collecting" things, this hadn't occurred to me. Interesting!

I was in the business of selling antiques and collectibles.  Collecting is actually considered to be the No. 1 hobby of the world.  It is also believed that everyone collects 'something', sometimes it's just coffee cups or something not of any real monetary value.  Even my ex-husband collected baseball cards and comic books as a kid.  The horror he had when he found out his Mom threw them out when he first moved out at 19.  He went back to his home only to find them thrown out and the Mom saying "I thought you didn't want them anymore".  He had comic books he had traded with people so that he got first editions.  He was broken-hearted and never got over it as I had to hear about it many, many times.  I gave my whole Barbie Doll collection to my cousin; she still has everything.  I gave my doll collection to the right person when she was 5.  I do not, however, collect Gachas believe it or not.  I often find I like the commons more.  I just buy what I like in SL.  In real life, I collect many, many things.  Often what is collectible is a fad or spurred by popularity and can be rather random as to what actually does become a valuable collectible but most are sentimental to the particular person.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[OT] I collect euros, bills and coins, although bills have my preference. 
Now if some want to give their collection away .......... [/OT]

Edited by Sid Nagy
I don't mind starting to collect USD either.
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.