Let’s Share! Rezz it for me type thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Everyone!
Recently I did a post about Gacha swapping but it seems many of these groups already exist inworld

So - with the cost of the higher end beautiful items, decor and homes being sometimes pricey - I’m thinking of starting a free

‘Rezz it for me’ or ‘borrow my stuff’ in world and Facebook group

My idea is that we share our items by rezzing them for you in your home, business, whatever!!

For example - I have a beautiful ONSU Home that cost me a bomb. Il happily rezz that for anyone that wants it (easy to return when you are done) saving thousands of lindens for some.

And then perhaps I need a closet type wardrobe and I can advertise that I’m searching for this and maybe someone will offer to rezz it for me.

Ok - long winded I’m sorry but if anyone is interested please let me know I’m really keen on sharing it makes financial sense and feels like a nice thing to do ❤️🤍

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

All merchants/creators will be soooooooooooo happy with this cheap goat solution.

Do you have any idea how many hours there go into building stuff for the marketplace?
With the peanut... eh.... micro transactions online, it only ads up when one has enough sales.

The no transfer option is not there for nothing.
The only thing that you will accomplish is that less and less merchants/designers will offer mod\copy as combination.
Mod/transfer or only transfer will become the standard soon then.

👿

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

The only thing that you will accomplish is that less and less merchants/designers will offer mod\copy as combination.
Mod/transfer or only transfer will become the standard soon then.

Noooo, I don't think that would ever happen, Sid.  I've read many threads on the forums and most customers want or I should will only buy copy/mod or at least copy.  Gachas are for a select few.  Some forumites might buy one or a few once in a great while, such as a pet or something.  But, if items became no copy for the majority of items there wouldn't be very many customers.  

As far as the idea in the OP, I has too much of my own stuff already.  lol  

Edited by FairreLilette

I think it sounds like a fine idea.

Sid, it might result in more of a "try before you buy" sort of thing, since borrowers won't be able to move the borrowed items around. If they like the things enough, they'll probably decide to buy their own.

Besides, it's the sort of cooperative social activity that's good for SL. I hope the OP's exchange gets lots of participants.

• Like 5

I have a new pretty simple object ready at the moment. It took me about 4 hours to make it.
Then I had to make pictures for the marketplace and make them ready for marketplace use. That took me about an hour.
Now I have to put it on the marketplace. That is at least half an hour as well, writing the right appealing text, overthink keywords etc.

So 5.5 hours of work. Lets take minimum wages, that is 60+ USD.
60 USD = +/-  13,000 L$
My product will hit the market for 185 L$, copy/mod.  That means i would need about 70 sales to get minimum wages out of that simple product.
Complicated builds take easily 5 times the amount of time or more.

Now I'm not in it for the money. I build something that I like and then put it on the marketplace. It brings in my tier (more or less) at the moment. I'm a starter, just a few months in. Not so many products yet.
So this swap idea will not kill me, I'm an amateur with a small potato business.

But the big ones who need to live from it, the ones that have sim size shops or bigger.  They won't be happy.
They ain't gonna produce to have one or two sales and than see their product all over the place.

Copy permission with non wearables are given to help you out when SL has a hick up or you get evicted from your land, or if you mess up while editting. Not to swap it more or less with others multiple times.
Nobody will notice if you do that with a friend, but forming groups........... that will not work in the end.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Nobody will notice if you do that with a friend, but forming groups........... that will not work in the end.

I see a couple of problems with it. The first being that most people will want the option to move or mod the things you rezz for them and to do that, you have to give them permission to move or mod ALL your things and that could certainly go wrong should you have a falling out. The other of course is if the group became large and popular enough to have creators complaining to LL about it and/or more creators making their items no copy and that would suck.

It happens already with certain groups giving everyone in the group rezz rights but having a group specifically dedicated to it does seem like it could raise issues.

That said, I do like the idea. I love decorating.

Edited by Stella Carver
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Vickylittlethang said:

it makes financial sense and feels like a nice thing to do ❤️🤍

i feel already the non copy items grow explosive in a not so far distance....

Copy was never meant for this. You get the permission to use the objects, not to distribute it, in any way.
I think when this gets into active sharing many will get bans from stores.

• Like 1

It is already made on many places I think. When people opening clubs they usually uses items belongs to some one else. Dance balls, club buildings, furniture etc..

My friend open a club but had no investment on club building, dances etc.. some one else who did club business previously helped out with and he got club for free.. made a few changes when finished original owner.. revoked "permission to edit my object rights".

LL does not have any policy against object sharing.

Edit: Becareful with gatcha items most of them set to transfer so when you give permission to edit for some one they can take your object.

Edited by RunawayBunny
  • Like 1

Thank you all - you know all of your feeedback and critique is super helpful whether negative or positive.

it helps me understand SL better both as a community & player.

I think judging by the comments I will keep a group to a select few of my actual friends in SL.

I myself often purchase things that I see on other peoples plots when I’m sim hopping for inspiration and I do think that this would also drive sales with more exposure on certain items.

I guess I’m mainly thinking of the people that don’t have the disposable income in SL to buy pretty ONSU houses for example it was meant from a good place I can assure you all.

But for now I think a small group of close friends would suffice ❤️

14 minutes ago, RunawayBunny said:

LL does not have any policy against object sharing.

That is true, but if this swapping takes off in large groups, merchants could start working with licenses or stop with copy permissions altogether.

Full perm sellers often work with licenses.
That is a possibility for copy items as well.
But it means more work for the merchant/creator (higher prices?) and a less sympathetic feeling for the average potential customer.
And a lot of possible drama.

Edited by Sid Nagy
You know me by now. Editting is a hobby.

Thank you all - you know all of your feeedback and critique is super helpful whether negative or positive.

it helps me understand SL better both as a community & player

3 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

That is true, but if this swapping takes off in large groups, merchants could start working with licenses or stop with copy permissions altogether.

But it means more work for the merchant/creator (higher prices?) and a less sympathetic feeling for the average potential customer.

I do agree with you that large scale swapping may cause an issue but I’m thinking now due to feedback a small scale group of my friends would be better suited for now. On the flip side, many many landscapers, you tubers rentals use other people’s stuff - and when I see it I usually buy it myself lol.

I think judging by the comments I will keep a group to a select few of my actual friends in SL.

I myself often purchase things that I see on other peoples plots when I’m sim hopping for inspiration and I do think that this would also drive sales with more exposure on certain items.

I guess I’m mainly thinking of the people that don’t have the disposable income in SL to buy pretty ONSU houses for example it was meant from a good place I can assure you all.

But for now I think a small group of close friends would suffice ❤️

• Like 1

I don't really see the problem with sharing the object. You bought it, you can rez it where you want, if you're allowed. I've seen interior decorators do this in SL quite often. The problem I see with it is a little different: what happens when you want something moved or adjusted? Some people aren't on all the time or available to tp in and move the couch "ova there". Personally, I'd be a little annoyed if someone IM'd me a week from now with a "Hey, sorry to bother you! Could you swing by and move the 2000 pose bed you rezzed last week over a couple of feet? I just noticed it's not quite where I wanted it! Thanks!" and knowing me, I'd also be that person doing that often.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Yes probably they can make drama.. But it is what it is.. There is no way to check if a object shared or owned by purchaser.

You can create club / house and sell / rent club with all objects in it.

In the end you can't stop it as a merchant, that is true.
Nobody starts a lawsuit over the license breach of a 1-4 dollar item before a RL court.

But while this swapping might be fun for some, it  ends SL fun for others if it is done on large scale IMHO.

Or merchants need to let go of the copy permission on their goods, but that displeases (rightfully so) all the other SL residents who don't intend to swap around.

Edited by Sid Nagy

43 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I don't really see the problem with sharing the object. You bought it, you can rez it where you want, if you're allowed. I've seen interior decorators do this in SL quite often. The problem I see with it is a little different: what happens when you want something moved or adjusted? Some people aren't on all the time or available to tp in and move the couch "ova there". Personally, I'd be a little annoyed if someone IM'd me a week from now with a "Hey, sorry to bother you! Could you swing by and move the 2000 pose bed you rezzed last week over a couple of feet? I just noticed it's not quite where I wanted it! Thanks!" and knowing me, I'd also be that person doing that often.

The workaround for this, surely, would be to deed the objects to a dedicated group to which both lender and borrower belong, and extend mod perms to members of that group.

I think this is a great idea in principle? And I am all for finding ways to assist people who may not have cash reserves to draw upon. But I think some of the unintended consequences noted above are an issue. I can't see this ever becoming such a widespread practice that it threatens livelihoods, but certainly the impact upon SL artisans and creators should be given consideration.

As for people adjusting perms in response -- well, in the vast majority of cases, I don't buy things now that aren't both mod/copy. I sympathize with the reasoning, but my policy wouldn't change even if more creators went this route.

• Like 1

I didn't read all the comments so maybe this was mentioned, but I am thinking that often the lender wont have rez rights needed to rez his stuff in the borrowers place. If I rent a place the landlord has some means to give me rez rights so I can rez my stuff, but not everyone can rez stuff. I might love that bed, and he might really be happy to lend it to me, but if he cant rez it in my place its not going to do either one of us any good.

Edited by Ayeleeon
  • Like 1

Long ago I liked this house a friend in world had but was nervous about buying it since it was like 3k. So she rezzed it on my land to see how it looked.  Found out the shape of the building went beyond the border and she derezzed it. Since she also gave me the LM to where she got it --- I managed to find a smaller house and purchased it.  I used it for a few months before I decided go back into the club business and used the land for that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The workaround for this, surely, would be to deed the objects to a dedicated group to which both lender and borrower belong, and extend mod perms to members of that group.

I think this is a great idea in principle? And I am all for finding ways to assist people who may not have cash reserves to draw upon. But I think some of the unintended consequences noted above are an issue. I can't see this ever becoming such a widespread practice that it threatens livelihoods, but certainly the impact upon SL artisans and creators should be given consideration.

As for people adjusting perms in response -- well, in the vast majority of cases, I don't buy things now that aren't both mod/copy. I sympathize with the reasoning, but my policy wouldn't change even if more creators went this route.

So you walk naked in SL ?
It is almost standard practice in the fashion department to sell copy only.

Edited by Sid Nagy

when the ability to rent furnished parcels came to SL, a few creators at the time thought the sky was going to fall and that they be all out of business. So they started releasing their furnishings as No-Copy/Transfer items

but many more than a few creators just carried on doing Copy /No-Transfer as that's what their customers wanted. And (at that time) people were prepared to pay more for Copy/No-Transfer items than they were for No Copy/Transfer items. Customer's preferred Copy due to the grid's sometimes inability to safely return No-Copy items (an instability which still persists today in some narrow cases)

after a time, the few who worried about the impact of furnished parcel landlords, become even fewer, because Copy/No-Transfer items were selling in greater volumes than No-Copy/Transfer items. Number of landlords providing furnished properties for rent  vs everybody else

from a volume sales pov the OP proposal is not a lot different to what these landlords do. . Number of people who are going to rez furnishings that another person can use vs everybody else

Edited by Mollymews
no-

Why a group at all? Many companies in SL offer houses for rent on their land. Why not offer a house for rent, but placed on the customers land? He don't need to join a group for that. I'm not sure, but I guess the house owner could even add a rentbox.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

But the big ones who need to live from it, the ones that have sim size shops or bigger.  They won't be happy.
They ain't gonna produce to have one or two sales and than see their product all over the place.

I'm leaning towards disagreeing with that. First, the number of people for whom SL produces their RL livelihood can probably be counted on one hand, maybe two hands at the most, but probably just one. There are others for whom SL earnings add to their RL, but it isn't their actual livelihood. So there are very few people who fit your description and who may not be happy. Second, of the people you described, my bet would be that most, if not all, would be happy to see many more of their items around SL, even if they hadn't sell them all to the people who are using them.

My reason for the second part is, back in the days of yore, I was one of the few who was cashing out enough from SL for it to be my RL livelihood (low prim furniture), and a decent livelihood too. I didn't treat it as such but I could have done. I now feel that most creators would like their stuff to be all over SL, even if each item hadn't been bought from them. I am sure that creators would sell more because of it, for two reason:- 1. people prefer to own the things they use rather than rely on someone else for them, so many would buy after using someone else's for a while (someone already mentioned that), and 2. it would be exceptionally good advertising.

When I was selling, I would not have liked it. I refused to sell copyable items, even though I was asked to, by landlords, many times. It's only now that I'm looking at a bigger picture :)

Incidentally, having a "sim size shop" doesn't mean that it produces enough profit after costs (the sim's tier) to live on. Such places may run at a loss, or only make enough for the tier and maybe a bit extra.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.