Firestorm viewer - skybox crashes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 174 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good morning everyone, 

I"ve been having this issue ever since I returned back to sl

Everytime I TP to an event, store, ect that is on a platform/skybox my viewer will freeze up, each and everytime.

Question is , is their maybe a setting that might have to be checked off in the firestorm viewer, I do have the latest version, but no matter even the previous one I had this issue, 

Can someone please help, ty

In order to help us help you, we need to know the specs of the system you run and your settings.  Please copy and paste the info you get in  Help >about Firestorm.  Obviously edit out any personal info that might appear.

Would this help

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-1005G1 CPU @ 1.20GHz (1190.39 MHz)
Memory: 7801 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19042.928)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics
Graphics Card Memory: 1024 MB

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 27.20.100.9466
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 - Build 27.20.100.9466

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.40.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v8.0.6
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.01.08
Dullahan: 1.8.0.202007261348
  CEF: 81.3.10+gb223419+chromium-81.0.4044.138
  Chromium: 81.0.4044.138
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.10.0000.32327

Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 1920x1001 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 120 m
Bandwidth: 1450 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2.25
Render quality: High-Ultra (6/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 768 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2021-3-11T1:50:37 
Built with MSVC version 1916
Packets Lost: 0/27,385 (0.0%)
April 26 2021 08:49:34 SLT

With integrated graphics you must lower your expectations as well as your draw-distance, try 32m or maybe 64 if it will take it.

Turn off shadows, move the render quality slider way back, maybe also turn off ALM

In the Firestorm options turn on draw-distance stepping.

Once you've visited a place often enough to be certain it's all cached you can up some of those settings. I suggest you create a couple of presets for the graphics, one with a low draw-distance and low render-quality, one with a higher setting, and just flip between them as you go around places.

• Like 3

You've chopped off your viewer version; are we to presume you are definitely using the latest version - 6.4.13.63251?

Bandwidth = 1450. WiFi or wired connection to your router?

Both may be having an effect (or not, as the case may be).

I have no idea why your problem should only occur when tp-ing to a skybox. I would have thought that it would be a tp-ing problem to anywhere - an odd one indeed.

Edited by Odaks
  • Like 2

Tping to an event or store that's extremely busy?  I'd have to agree with @Profaitchikenz Haiku.  Your draw distance and LOD are much to high for an integrated graphics card.  ALM will also drag you down considerably.  You could also try turning on Show Friends Only before tping into a busy event.  On firestorm, you can add it to your buttons on the bottom.  The small box in the upper corner will turn it on and keep it on when you TP.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Odaks said:

I have no idea why your problem should only occur when tp-ing to a skybox.

I have a suspicion it's to do with unloading what's been in the graphics memory previously and loading in what's now there, but without knowing to amount of detail and complexity in the skybox it's just conjecture. Draw-distance stepping with a low draw-distance is about all I can suggest to alleviate the problem.  My own laptop with Intel graphics isn't happy with rapid changes in location, even if I go from one location I've cached to another. The intel graphics chip I have is an earlier one than the OP's, I believe, and I have to run 32-bit viewers because of that so again, no chance of a direct comparison.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I have a suspicion it's to do with unloading what's been in the graphics memory previously and loading in what's now there, but without knowing to amount of detail and complexity in the skybox it's just conjecture. Draw-distance stepping with a low draw-distance is about all I can suggest to alleviate the problem.  My own laptop with Intel graphics isn't happy with rapid changes in location, even if I go from one location I've cached to another. The intel graphics chip I have is an earlier one than the OP's, I believe, and I have to run 32-bit viewers because of that so again, no chance of a direct comparison.

Thank you all so much for all the suggestions,  I'll be trying all the different combo.

It's so hard when you don't know s thing about specs   ect

Bless you all and be safe

9 hours ago, Aishagain said:

In order to help us help you, we need to know the specs of the system you run and your settings.  Please copy and paste the info you get in  Help >about Firestorm.  Obviously edit out any personal info that might appear.

With Intel UHD-630 graphics (integrated gpu on 10 series Intel) You should not be in high/ultra graphics especially in crowded areas. Turn your graphics down to mid and set max number of non-impostor avatars to 4.  Your experience will improve dramatically after that. 

I think the biggest problems here are are ALM if it isn't turned on when you use the default graphic setting in FS 

10 hours ago, BabyLove Hammill said:

Advanced Lighting Model: Yes

and

10 hours ago, BabyLove Hammill said:

Bandwidth: 1450 kbit/s

Your bandwidth is likely too high lower is better 

If you are going somewhere likely to be crowded you can create a custom graphics setting i had one that was a step down from my regular setting with 32m draw distance and reduced lods that i could use along with "show friends only". The only time the fancy graphic toys get turned on is when i want to take a picture 

• Like 1

That bandwidth slider has no control over asset transfers now.  Limiting the bandwidth of asset transfers from the simulator to the viewer was the primary reason to set a limit, so other traffic, such as chat, object and avatar updates could get through in the flurry of UDP packets.  And no, voice and media were never controlled by the bandwidth slider.  Assets are now sent via TCP via a content delivery network instead of through the simulator hosts.  What is left under the control of that slider is the UDP packets containing data about what objects and avatars are in the area, information about their movements and departures.   Moe keeps talking about a bug that is supposedly triggered by setting the slider too high but I cannot reproduce this.  I jam it all the way to the right and see no ill effects.  Recently I have been leaving at the default and also see no difference between 1500 kbps and 10000 kbps.  When I shove it all the way to the left, dunno.  It's nothing obvious when just standing around.  I could be imagining it.  But, sometimes it seems to make airplanes that are flying overhead disappear.  Could this be?  Are some object updates getting discarded?

/me experiments a little.

Oh yeah, do NOT turn that far down if you want objects and avatars to appear in a reasonable time and you have the bandwidth available.  I see object updates coming in at more than 1500 kbps when I move my camera a couple pf regions away then hit ESC to bring it back and the slider is at 10000 kbps.  When I set the slider to 100 kbps those updates are indeed throttled and objects and avatars take much longer to appear.

I want to add that I have draw distance at 64 meters almost all the time now and definitely had it at 64 meters when making the above observations.  I don't do vehicles and rarely fly around.   Sometimes I set draw distance to 512 meters for photos of an area but that's rare and does indeed induce the lag.  😉

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 174 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.