windows7

dbldbl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1088 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I run a Windows7 computer thus I can't log anymore with the SL viewer or Firestorm.

Is there viewers which allows me to log?

Thanks.

In the meanwhile, may someone tell 'tiny alena' that I miss her a lot?

Thanks again for any help.

Regards,

Debbie

1 hour ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I run Windows 7 and log in with Firestorm, Catznip, SL viewer, Singularity, Black Dragon, and CoolVlViewer.

What makes you think you can't login with Windows 7?

So then why don't you help the OP figure out what to do since LL has raised the min specs to Win8 and FS upped it to 8.1?  They seem to be under the impression they can't simply download a viewer, install it and log in on Win7. I wonder if they have even tried.

I never said it couldn't be done. You should have seen what hubby was running SL on years ago that should never been able to run it. 

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

3 hours ago, dbldbl said:

thus I can't log anymore with the SL viewer or Firestorm.

1 hour ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I run Windows 7 and log in with Firestorm, Catznip, SL viewer, Singularity, Black Dragon, and CoolVlViewer.

What makes you think you can't login with Windows 7?

They did say anymore so I'd assume they had been able to log in at some point with it.

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

So then why don't you help the OP figure out what to do since LL has raised the min specs

I would need to know what error message they are seeing when they try to login with their two stated viewers, without that information I'd just be taking blind stabs in the dark.

As you say, they might not even have tried, in which case all I can do is hope I have inspired them to try a walk on the wild side.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dbldbl said:

Hello,

I run a Windows7 computer thus I can't log anymore with the SL viewer or Firestorm.

We need more information about what's happening, anything, nothing .. 

Right now I'm guessing maybe you have a 32bit OS and are trying to run a 64bit viewer? Maybe ? 

Catznip does work on Windows 7, if you don't know which you need - try the 64bit version, if that doesn't work, try the 32bit version, if that doesn't work .. come back and tell us what is anything is happening, there are many things that could prevent a viewer from working.

https://get.catznip.com/downloads

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for answering.

I just logged with Black Dragon.

I uninstalled Firestorm when they announced that the last release for W7 wasn't supported anymore. That was three weeks ago:

"As per our 3-version rule, we will be blocking version 6.3.2.58052 in 3 weeks’ time on April 5th."

thanks again

44 minutes ago, dbldbl said:

Thanks everyone for answering.

I just logged with Black Dragon.

I uninstalled Firestorm when they announced that the last release for W7 wasn't supported anymore. That was three weeks ago:

" As per our 3-version rule, we will be blocking version 6.3.2.58052 in 3 weeks’ time on April 5th."

thanks again

so you of been able to download the latest and it should of still installed and ran.

I think the misleading part is when it is announced that Windows 7 is no longer being supported. This doesn't mean that the software will no longer work on Windows 7, it means that the dependencies such as dotNet might not be updated in the future on that platform but the software will be revised to work with the next release. Since Windows 7 won't be getting a further dotNet release the software probably will fail to install or run.  Possibly trying mono might extend the time Windows 7 continues to be usable, but long-term the best alternative is Linux, and possibly ReactOS if they get a move on.

I'm guessing its an old laptop and SL exceeds is ability , my old win7 still lets  me login but everything is grey and id need a weeks notice if i had to move 3 steps forward , then i'd the end up on the far opposite side of the sim .

Its probably not your operating system but rather it doesnt have a large enough memory or RAM or whatever the geeks call it .

If any of this rings true a factory reset might let you login again ?

4 minutes ago, cunomar said:

I'm guessing its an old laptop and SL exceeds is ability , my old win7 still lets  me login but everything is grey and id need a weeks notice if i had to move 3 steps forward , then i'd the end up on the far opposite side of the sim .

Its probably not your operating system but rather it doesnt have a large enough memory or RAM or whatever the geeks call it .

If any of this rings true a factory reset might let you login again ?

the answer is already given

hello,

I just downloaded, installed and ran the latest release of Firestorm on my W7.

It works perfectly, even if incredibly slow.

I post this in case someone is hesitating about downloading a release for W8-W10 on a W7 system.

Enjoy your SL.

1 hour ago, dbldbl said:

hello,

I post this in case someone is hesitating about downloading a release for W8-W10 on a W7 system.

Enjoy your SL.

The newest version of Firestorm will be their EEP release which will probably be slower on your machine.  You can still download older versions for now without EEP.  Like the one you removed.

fs_older_downloads [Phoenix Firestorm Project - Wiki] (firestormviewer.org)

3 hours ago, dbldbl said:

In that case I'd suggest Catznip 32-bit, it's about as quick as you're going to get unless you can manage CoolVlViewer with the new threads.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

5 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

In that case I'd suggest Catznip 32-bit, it's about as quick as you're going to get .........

I would advise Catznip 64 bit - It has a lower crash rate and is actively developed (this goes for any viewer really, if the 64bit version works, use that).

The 32bit viewer is provided for people who literally can't run the 64 bit version at all (and they should really be putting some thought into a new PC).

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The 32bit viewer is provided for people who literally can't run the 64 bit version at all (and they should really be putting some thought into a new PC).

That's me to a T, and I'll see if they offer discounts on new PCs for pensioners :)

Actually, my advice to use the 32-bit rather than the 64-bit comes from watching the Windows task monitor whilst running the viewer, the 32-bit versions are less greedy with RAM.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Actually, my advice to use the 32-bit rather than the 64-bit comes from watching the Windows task monitor whilst running the viewer, the 32-bit versions are less greedy with RAM.

This is because 32-bit programs literally cannot use more than 2-4GB of memory due to the limitations of 32-bit integers.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1088 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.