Win10 Update issues

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

RTX2060 .. Windows desktop is smooth and just works. Linux desktop has frame rate issues (!!!) that get so bad dragging windows feels like 1995. Multiple distros. All junk.

Using the proprietary Nvidia driver, or the generic Nouveau driver? 

8 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

You'd be surprised how much control you get back with Pro vs Home.

Unfortunately I didn't have the "PRO" choice this time but I do agree that IN THE PAST that was certainly true (I had both on).

BUT again, this is NOT the Win10 most of us are used to; it is the new version that they are rolling out --- so not sure that  "pro is better"  will hold true as we move into the future -- sadly.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

You'd be surprised how much control you get back with Pro vs Home.

That's not really the case at all.

I mean, unless by surprise you mean breaking Windows in non obvious ways by blindly messing with group policy because someone on stack exchange said to. 👍

14 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

That's not really the case at all.

I mean, unless by surprise you mean breaking Windows in non obvious ways by blindly messing with group policy because someone on stack exchange said to. 👍

You say "break", I say "create new and interesting experiences".

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

You say "break", I say "create new and interesting experiences".

I will remember this when my car introduces me to "new and interesting experiences" on the hard shoulder of the motorway.

• Haha 2

Yeah, stuff is going on in there.  I have found that my low performance computers are now "no performance" computers when Windows 10 is updating, which includes running "malicious software removal tools".  CPU and disk (spinning rust) both go fully utilized.  When I ask what's up I get a cryptic answer.  I mean, it is literally running cryptographic code on filesystem contents.  This feels a lot like what I don't want it to be doing, but, I am not gonna break Windows Update to get away from the symptoms.  The computers I still use are doing fine with their 8 cores and Samsung SSDs and the update process only ties them up for at most 2 minutes on a really beefy search-and-destroy mission launched by Microsoft at the behest of agencies in charge of things like that.  I have learned to turn the thing on, get a beverage, sit down and then load some light reading material.  Once the WHOOM calms down after a minute or two, I then start Second Life Viewer.  It's not unlike letting that engine warm a bit before jamming gears and shoving the throttle to the firewall.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.