Win10 Update issues

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just a heads up that I had a Win10 update (in the background) this evening which trashed another game and played havoc with SL. It changed settings within Firestorm and when I logged in I had no inventory -- only library and a notecard that had come in when I logged in.  The inventory did appear but sound is still an issue in that it takes a very long while for my "ocean waves" to be heard .   It also killed my mouse for awhile. I thought it was the battery, but nope :D.   Eventually things evened out and except for some changes in programs (not Just Firestorm) I am hoping things are OK. Not much can be done. Resistance is futile.  

Since I have a very new computer I also have a new version of Win10 (something I was very surprised at but many things are different from my old UPDATED Win10) and I "think" I am one of the first to get updates (not happy about that really).   I guess they really ARE changing things, just not the name :D.   Much more going on in the background and much less control.  Oh well. 

Anyway while I was thinking about wanted to worn folks. It seems fairly easily fixed (she says hopefully) and it could be that some of the major wonkiness was that the update was finishing up in the background. This was not a "Update and Turn Off" type update.   I didn't check the Linden viewer but the same sort of issues certainly could have occurred.  I wouldn't have put the hints together so quickly (assuming that I am correct of course) except for the trashing of that other game.   

Hopefully they will get things a bit smoother as the roll out the update.  I do NOT like being in the vanguard :D. Do love the new computer though.

Note this was NOT an "update and shut down" kind of update but an in the background and telling you about it when they were done. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

41 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

and much less control.

MS has been taking control away from the users since... Since Win98SE. More and more did they chip away at what users could do to the OS that they paid so much money for (the price of which is usually included in the price of the computer).
The removal of user control is the very reason why I ditched Windows in 2006 and switched to Linux. The prospect of Windows Vista, which was so restrictive compared to previous Windows versions, was too much for me. Note that I had been using Windows since Windows 3.1 and that my job as an admin at a medium sized school depended on my knowledge of and my skills with Windows, so my switching to Linux was not done lightly. The freedom I have enjoyed since then is hard, no, impossible to convey in either written or spoken language. All I can say is that I never had a single regret about my switch. Yes, there was a bit of a learning curve, but I remember there being one when I first started to use Windows all those years ago (1996, I remember it well)

• Like 5

6 hours ago, sandi Mexicola said:

Plus, isn't Linux considered more secure?

That's an angry can of worms with no clear answer. Sadly, most who would charge into such a debate really don't have the knowledge or patience, especially when "security" is such a huge and loosely defined topic.

Once you're installing everything and anything that takes your fancy on a computer, taking it on the internet, it's fair to say you're so far past security it really doesn't matter what OS you're running. Might as well run the one that best suits your use case and anticipate it all going terribly wrong from time to time.

Make regular backups.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 7

I use Linux too.  I often think I am getting a raw deal from Linden Lab, as they don't support it with the SLV (Second Life Viewer).  I am so grateful to Firestorm for their continued support, but I wish I could use Catznip (yes, it runs slow, like the SLV, under Wine...).

On the issue of security, people should remember that almost all large commercial websites run on Linux using Apache or one of the other webservers.  If you think the bad-guys are not targeting them, then you are naive. I assume that I am just as vulnerable as any Windows user, and take appropriate action.

Thanks @Chic Aeonfor the heads up, which I have passed on to friends.

• Like 2

I never thought I'd post in defence of the Evil Empire aka Microsoft,  but at least for the present I CAN control when updates are installed and I do. 

@Chic AeonThe reason you are getting updates during active hours is probably:

1) You have not set Update to only install updates outside of your chosen active hours.  I have.

2) You have elected or agreed to join the Windows Insider programme and so you receive updates in their "preview" form (and frequently these are seriously flawed) you can and should turn these off unless you are a developer or a reasonably techy user.  I am not. Preview updates are "optional" for me and after nearly ruining my SL once by installing a preview update on Windows 7, I avoid those like the plague.

and possibly 3) You are not as paranoid as I and you don't check update status are soon as you start up the computer!

All these aspects of Update are accessible via Update Settings (the precise pathway depends on the version of 10 (say Home or Pro, I know these have differences, I use Home).

I will say nothing of the MS vs Linux debate, everything I hear suggests that Linux is much better, provided you are at least reasonably tech savvy. I am not.

@Gabriele Gravesindeed, Windows 10's handling of updates IS unpleasant but it CAN be tamed.  However like most wild things it can, and probably will, bite me someday. 😉

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 1

While I am not the least bit fond of the intrusiveness of Win10 (and OMG the newest version is way worse than what I had on either desktop or laptop) I will say that for the majority of folks it is likely a "good" thing (many caveats there) since a large portion of the populous knows very little about how their computer works. 

Deleted a long rant of all the things that have changed and given "them" more power.  No options. Either their way or you can't access your computer -- that's the bottom line :D.   It is VERY odd about how whatever they did (this time -- I had a similar issue with FS on the old computer due to "the big update getting your computer ready for the next step forward").   But certainly fixable and not FS fault.  But my mouse not working in one game?   It is fine now.  Hopefully they fixed the issues for the next folks down the update line.  

One thing I also know about people who are not tech savvy is that they tend to leave all their application windows open, have millions of un-bookmarked tabs and documents unsaved.  These people wouldn't know enough to realize the update behaviour can be changed.  I don't think that is so untypical either.  More than one of the people I know have lost important work due to an overnight update and auto-restart or have had interruptions by enforced updates which impacted their schedule.  If the updates from MS worked 100% in all cases, it might be a tiny bit understandable but they don't.

So I cannot agree that taking the choice away from people is a good thing for them, not when it comes to losing work or being unable to use the computer for inconvenient periods.  Perhaps it is good for MS but people buy a computer to serve their needs and if they leave it overnight, barring power failure, it should be in the same state when they get back to it.  Mac OS doesn't force updates, the various Android variants don't do this and neither does iOS.  They nag and suggest but nobody does it like MS does with Win10.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sandi Mexicola said:

Yeah.  It's *my* computer, not Microsoft's! 

Ah but while it may be "your" computer, MS continues to claim that it is "their" software and they reserve the right (sic) to modify it when and as-ever they please.  The ****ards.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

No options. Either their way or you can't access your computer -- that's the bottom line

On one machine that previously ran Windows 10 I was able to put a group policy that gave some control over updates in that it waited until you checked before then downloading them, but it didn't allow you to deselect ones that might do bad things such as trash your graphics card driver (and after the 8th or 9th such episode plus a hard disk trashed I rolled back to Windows 7).

That machine had been the free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro, the only remaining machine I have with Windows 10 on is an upgrade from Windows Home, and there isn't a way to set group policies, so as you say, it's their way or not.

7 hours ago, Aishagain said:

Ah but while it may be "your" computer, MS continues to claim that it is "their" software and they reserve the right (sic) to modify it when and as-ever they please.  The ****ards.

7 hours ago, sandi Mexicola said:

Only solution, then, is to write my own operating system!  I wonder how many decades that might take me!  :P

That's one of the other things I like about my Linux installation, nobody else owns it or has any claim to it.  There are no license agreements to have to abide by and no possibility that anyone else can revoke my usage.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Sorry, I blame Nvidia. 

Can't make a Linux Catznip if I can't run an acceptable desktop :/

Sorry, but I don't understand that.  I run Archlinux with Cinnamon as my desktop, and it's fine on nVidia (I have a GTX 1080ti).

But I was NOT blaming you or anyone for not supporting Linux.  No one has enough personal bandwidth to support everything.

I also wish I was Hereditary Autocrat of the World....  (Microsoft would be on the list.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anna Nova said:

Sorry, but I don't understand that.  I run Archlinux with Cinnamon as my desktop, and it's fine on nVidia (I have a GTX 1080ti).

RTX2060 .. Windows desktop is smooth and just works. Linux desktop has frame rate issues (!!!) that get so bad dragging windows feels like 1995. Multiple distros. All junk.

1 hour ago, Anna Nova said:

But I was NOT blaming you or anyone for not supporting Linux.  No one has enough personal bandwidth to support everything.

I did do the Linux port so .. yeah, it's kinda on me.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1093 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.