Things that make you think 'Wow' : D

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1076 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We already have threads for laughs and peeves...but what about a thread for awesome things that make you think "Wow...I didn't have a clue about that"?!?

I saw this earlier: NASA says all planets in the solar system would fit between Earth and the Moon! 

I don't have a scooby about space science..can this be true? 

Ezu57OxUYAIAd6X.thumb.jpg.8b5528b01dd3c31eba109cda18b6c0e4.jpg 

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I don't have a scooby about space science..can this be true? 

Yes. If Earth was the size of an apple, the moon would be about the size of a pea, and the distance between the two would be roughly equal to the height of Vince Vaughnn wearing a fez. 

Space is .. Spacious. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love this stuff! \o/

VY Canis Majoris is one of the largest stars in the known universe..

I was reading that you can fit the Earth inside the Sun about a million times.. You could fit the Sun inside VY Canis Majoris about 2100 times..

That if you placed VY Canis Majoris in the center of our solar system it's outer surface would just about reach Saturns orbit.

Also it takes about 40 to 50 hours to fly around the earth once.. To fly around VY Canis Majoris once, would take like 1100 years..

To kind of get an idea of how big that it look how far Saturns orbit is.

Not sure how accurate this image is of the solar system, but  it's still big..hehehe

e3aae8f22711a42e8ae100d470e645e7-planet-

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I always found this amazing

interesting-life-facts-119.jpg

I love Honey in my tea..

As long as it's not processed honey and is raw it will last forever and a day.. Raw honey is a hostile environment for bad things to grow and spoil the honey.. Even if it has crystals in it, raw honey is still good to go.:)

• Like 4

Here's one that always stuns me...

There are close to 37,848 cubic km of fresh (non-oceanic) water on Earth.  Of those, 29,200 cubic km are in glaciers (roughly 77.2% of the total) and 8,350 cubic km are in ground water (another 22.1% of the total).  That means that all of the water in the world's lakes and stream amounts to only 0.7% of all the fresh water in the world.  That's still  230.25 cubic km of the total but it's nothing compared to what's locked up in ice or underground.  (The oceans, of course, are much huger.  They hold roughly 1,320,00 cubic km of water, or 97.3% of all the water in the world, but of course that's all salt water.)

Whether you are thinking about how much water we have to drink and grow crops with or are concerned with the quality of that water, it helps to stand back and remember how little of the world's fresh water we even see.

Edited by Rolig Loon
Cleaner wording
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Here's one that always stuns me...

There are close to 37,848 cubic km of fresh (non-oceanic) water on Earth.  Of those, 29,200 cubic km are in glaciers (roughly 77.2% of the total) and 8,350 cubic km are in ground water (another 22.1% of the total).  That means that all of the water in the world's lakes and stream amounts to only 0.7% of all the fresh water in the world.  That's still  230.25 cubic km of the total but it's nothing compared to what's locked up in ice or underground.  (The oceans, of course, are much huger.  They hold roughly 1,320,00 cubic km of water, or 97.3% of all the water in the world, but of course that's all salt water.)

Whether you are thinking about how much water we have to drink and grow crops with or are concerned with the quality of that water, it helps to stand back and remember how little of the world's fresh water we even see.

On that same subject, the probability that a molecule in the water you drink has passed through a dinosaur is nearly 100%.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I used to think that the known universe was just the part of the universe that we discovered so far.. hehehe

Then later learned that we can't be able to see farther than that ,because everything outside of the known universe is traveling faster than the speed of light away from us, So we can't see light outside of it.

I think I used to day dream a lot in science in school even though I really liked it.. it was just one of the classes that always seemed to be towards the end of the day..

Now if it was more in the morning, I would have been all over it like a spider monkey Chip. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
Brain fart!
  • Like 3

I've just been reading about semiconductors, since there was a news item about them, but I got caught up in negative mass and runaway motion, which seemed very funny, so here's a video of cats in slow motion instead.  I love watching things in slow motion, and in ways we can't normally see. :) The slow motion starts about 45 secs in. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

can this be true? 

I'm pretty sure that's a bit off by at least a few millimeters. *digs away a bit of top soil* There, now it's off by a few.

Johannes Kepler was a bit lost, science-wise, when he first hypothesized that the planets' orbits were proportional to the platonic solids arranged in a perfectly fitting manner, basically thinking that the orbits of the planets were obeying some cosmologically harmonious numerical law.

eb6b18f2d7ab5111be352f7b26bc8e02.jpg.7562bb75b68ff3a893e4b04c99aa867d.jpg

Luckily, he came to his senses when he discovered that accurate measurements totally debunked that. And it forced him to come up with a more accurately predictive description (Kepler's law, involving ellipses). Which was ground-breaking but still incorrect. Short after, Newton announced an alternative theory that was more precise in its predictions (Newton's laws of gravity). Until Einstein conjured up something even more accurate (laws of General Relativity or GR). And now, the science world is waiting for the next genius to take care of those pesky singularities and that darn zero-point energy catastrophe that's implicated with GR.

This spectacular difference between scientific prediction and measurement, by a factor of 1 with 120 zeroes, makes me go double wow with an extra pint of wow for the weekend:

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

On that same subject, the probability that a molecule in the water you drink has passed through a dinosaur is nearly 100%.

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

I honestly don't know if you're joking! 😮

What is yet to be established is how many of those molecules were ingested with or without a surrounding body, e.g. a smaller dinosaur.

• Like 2

We know more about the surface of the moon than we do of our ocean floors. 

And

5 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I've just been reading about semiconductors, since there was a news item about them, but I got caught up in negative mass and runaway motion, which seemed very funny, so here's a video of cats in slow motion instead.  I love watching things in slow motion, and in ways we can't normally see. :) The slow motion starts about 45 secs in. 

I love Gavin!!! HIs slo-mo work is amazing and his gaming videos are hilarious. 

• Like 3

I had a bit of a wow moment today in SL.

I was showing my partner one of the community lodges on Belli, and when I noticed there was a rez zone for trains nearby we went for a little drive .. 30 minutes of exploration along the railroad, at a comfy speed, and we've covered .. Very little distance of the world map. Looking at the world map, we'd moved a quarter of the total width of Bellisseria (if you include the extent of the chalet and stilt home regions).

SL is pretty darn huge.

We also discovered the Randlesham Station, which is beautiful!

Snapshot-037.png

3 minutes ago, Doris Johnsky said:

It's impossible to hum while holding your nose.

Not really, but you can't make very long notes, and you have to push the air back to do a new one. It also sounds a bit .. Odd.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1076 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.