Is this pc capable of running sl?

Saijito

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 145 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

22 answers to this question

That laptop is designed for light home office use, not for a demanding graphics environment.  Its graphics are handled by an integrated Intel 600 chip, rather than by a dedicated graphics card, which will probably make it disappointing for use in SL.  It also has about half the graphics memory that it would need for handling the torrent of texture information that SL tosses at it, so should expect to spend a lot of time waiting for images to rez completely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Saijito said:

Then my next question is what’s the minimum ram and graphics card I should look out for?

realistically,  which I'll be blunt about again,  16gb ram and 1060 would be acceptable for running SL at medium settings with a low draw distance and keeping shadows off,   but you will need to keep the unit as cool as you can, laptops are not very long lived if you push them with SL constantly.   

15 minutes ago, Saijito said:

Then my next question is what’s the minimum ram and graphics card I should look out for?

16GB Ram

Graphics by Nvidia.

Those two options alone will cut down the range of laptops significantly. 

For storage, 128GB on an SSD minimum. 

SL Will "run" on almost anything. We're operating on the assumption that you would like to use SL.

I’m more struggling to find a pc within the $300 range that has more ram and a better graphics card.  I found some with 8 fb ram but graphics cards are questionable
currently I run sl on a surface pro but sl is slow on it if I have it set past meduim quality

57 minutes ago, Saijito said:

I’m more struggling to find a pc within the $300 range that has more ram and a better graphics card

can only suggest that you keep saving up. And while you are saving up then the thing to look for with NVidia GeForce graphics cards are the last two numbers. xx60 should be the lowest number that you go for in a new card, higher than 60 is preferable but costs more

I'm afraid you will have a hard time finding a laptop in that price range that will give you more than mediocre performance in SL.  Even at the top of that range, a laptop will probably be only slightly better than the Surface you already have.  Expect to pay at least $700 for a machine that will be significantly better than that.  It is better to save your money toward a better machine later than to throw it away on a cheap one now.

2 hours ago, Saijito said:

I’m more struggling to find a pc within the $300 range that has more ram and a better graphics card.  I found some with 8 fb ram but graphics cards are questionable
currently I run sl on a surface pro but sl is slow on it if I have it set past meduim quality

not very aware of the specs of those surfaces, but if it's got shadows on turn them off, if you have more than a 64m draw turn it off,  make sure the lod is at 2.     these suggestions will help.

6 hours ago, Saijito said:

I thinking of buying this ASUS Laptop L210 Laptop. It has a 11.6” HD Display, Intel Celeron N4020 Processor, windows 10, 4GB RAM, & 64GB Storage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081V6W99V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CKN0WBZM2BD1AWYH7C8Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

is this strong enough to run secondlife?

if you go for asus... the rog or tuf versions will be a better choice for SL... but will be quite a different price range

The CPU is also literally crap, probably moreso than the integrated graphics, and overall, it is quite likely to run a lot worse than your surface pro.

If $300 is your hard limit, you might be lucky to  get something on the second-hand market or refurbished.

Given your budget, I agree with Lillith. You should look on the used market. You'll get a better deal if you go for a desktop computer instead of a laptop...plus, used laptops tend to need at least a new battery. Start haunting eBay and Craigslist.

10 hours ago, Saijito said:

Try running on a lower graphic settings to help with your current slowness.  Since you seem to be able to run on your current machine, hang in there until you can afford something better.  A lot of people run on minimum graphics.  You could also try a viewer geared toward older, slower machines.

10 hours ago, Saijito said:

If you're tight on a budget and have time to spare before you absolutely need a new PC I'd suggest building one. You can buy parts as you have the funds to spare for them. PC's are pretty easy to put together. They're mostly plug and play. Most of the knowledge you need to build one you could probably find in a 20-30minute Youtube video. In the end you'll end up with a PC that will set you up for a few years which you can upgrade the parts as you see fit or when necessary.

I think you will be very disappointed playing SL on a low-end machine as you won't be playing at it's full potential.

16 hours ago, Saijito said:

I thinking of buying this ASUS Laptop L210 Laptop. It has a 11.6” HD Display, Intel Celeron N4020 Processor, windows 10, 4GB RAM, & 64GB Storage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081V6W99V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CKN0WBZM2BD1AWYH7C8Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

is this strong enough to run secondlife?

I doubt it would be strong to run Windows 10 if you could tolerate they tiny screen. Your $300 in £ works out at just over £200 i do know what's available in that range will only be suitable for web browsing. i'm in the market for a new laptop myself since what i was using for SL died unexpectedly and have nearly double your budget (£400) and there are so many sacrifices to make in screen size, ram, HDD or SSD, processor/graphics etc. i'm not sure what's good

Edited by Claireschen Hesten

35 minutes ago, Saijito said:

i actually got a asus vivobook 15 on amazon for $450 and i love it. screen isnt too small, graphics look good in sl, and stuff doesn't take forever to load. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VD71VHJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_GK1GJ53652T2B6V8NJ6R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Add the SL cache folder as an exception to Windows Defender (or whatever other antivirus you have). This will double the rezing speed of places that are cached and accelerate loading of places that aren't.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Add the SL cache folder as an exception to Windows Defender (or whatever other antivirus you have). This will double the rezing speed of places that are cached and accelerate loading of places that aren't.

i didnt know this thank you!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 145 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.