Fellow furries (and/or bronies)-when did you last come across a location that was anti-furry/brony?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I mostly ask because as the years have gone by I've seen less and less of this type of location. I think the last time I saw a place like that was this out of the way tiki bar that didn't seem to be getting much traffic, anyways. I have seen a few roleplay sims forbidding them due to their being off-theme but I can kind of understand that. It's still a bummer but far be it for me to go breaking people's immersion. I used to run into this a lot back when I started in SL (March of '07) but the overall atmosphere in SL seems to have gotten a lot more non-human friendly. 

I will add the only time I ever had an issue with anyone as far as getting kicked out goes was when I changed from a furry to a pony and the furries I was with and had been having a decent enough conversation with suddenly started shooting at me and threatened to kick me out if I didn't change my avatar. I of course left-furries of all people are the last folks who should be exhibiting that kind of prejudice. 

Btw-please don't name locations. I'm not here to encourage any kind of naming & shaming. 

Edited by Zidaya Zenovka

There is one expensive jazz club. And some of the... More adult-oriented human hangouts don't, either.

It seems connected to membership fees to me. If there is one, furries aren't welcome. Which is fair enough, given that I'd not pay it anyway.

Haven't seen any free places that do it, though.

On 4/25/2021 at 7:15 AM, Ziggy Starsmith said:

When I switch to furry I noticed the gay themed regions that cater mostly to the big, muscle, avatar types eject furrys and elves etc on the spot before you can switch avatars to obey their rules. I am just itching to name names lol.

(My bolding of the relevant part.)

Parcel or club owners really do have an obligation to make clear their rules in the relevant land descriptions or club information. It's plain stupidity not to.

If casual visitors don't bother to check out the relevant information before they jump in, that's plain stupidity too. 

Sadly, both statements are far too often neglected.

I've been a Dinkie on and off since September 2019, so in September it will be two years.  I hang out with the tinies and other unusual avatars at our own sims and events mostly as it's more fun that way and more comfortable.  Tinies are small humanimals and are not like the big human-sized furries, so I guess tinies are furries little cousins in a way.  When I first became a Dinkie (a small cat that walks upright and wears clothes) I went to one of the big clubs in SL and while I wasn't asked to leave, no one would talk to me.  I got the cold shoulder.  Some clubs may put up with a furry or tiny but are they really welcoming?  In my experience, not so much.  Though there are clubs that say family friendly/tiny friendly.  Rockin' Robin is one and it's fun.  I mostly go to Raglan Shire or Isle or Wyrms events.   My personal friends have all accepted me being a Dinkie.  

• Like 2

Once a place seems unwelcoming they are dead to me. It's Second Life, a world of dreams and imagination and if an owner wants to discriminate then no second chances once they start to spiral downward in popularity and then beg for traffic.

Edited by Ziggy Starsmith
  • Like 2

Just because places are not "pro" something doesn't mean they are "anti".  It normally only means they aren't made for a type of character that a residents choosed to be.  For me a normal thing. I remember how many arguments with other residents I had in the past because I don't want to see child avatars at my places. They accused me that I don't like children in general. What's wrong of course. The whole gang of nieces and nephews which I have in RL would doubtless confirm that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 4/25/2021 at 2:15 AM, Ziggy Starsmith said:

When I switch to furry I noticed the gay themed regions that cater mostly to the big, muscle, avatar types eject furrys and elves etc on the spot before you can switch avatars to obey their rules. I am just itching to name names lol.

A perspective from the otherside 

I used to have an adult region. A good mix of none human avatars were very much the norm. We deliberately tried to keep a very open mind

Aside from specific behavior, we drew the line at disruptive / deliberately offensive / novelty (borderline griefing) avatars (If someone should TP to an indoor club in a 40 foot giant dragon avatar and proceed to clip into everyone, it shouldn't be a surprise when they're shown the rules and the door). The rules grew over time in response to entitled idiots who just took the P*#$ . Our response to such incidents started out very polite in IM, offering notecards, being patient ... and ended up streamlined into an eject & TP home with a copy pasta IM covering the rules. Those who immediately TP'd back in got short duration ban.

It sucked, and I'm sure we coldly ejected a lot of people who given the opportunity and a few minutes would have corrected and followed whatever rules we had in place.

Enough people just ignored or got aggressive that it simply became less hassle to punt everyone with a message. (and be ready with the ban hammer when the enraged ones came back to show us who was boss). It was easier and less stressful for other staff who didn't want to be confrontational, and for the few times we really did screw it up, muggins could go apologies in person and that would usually sort everything out.

Places get to have rules. It's only personal if someone returns  and demands their avatar be accepted as an exception.

Putting up signs is pointless, people move on before they load. Likewise notecards, only the pedantic read them. 

There is no way rules can be clearly communicated to people before they arrive without dedicated landing areas, these present there own problems as some people seem to think that because rules apply past a certain point, no rules apply before it. We ditched that idea after a couple of rather disturbing probably ToS violations happened in that area, and our "NOPE-YEET" got met with a griefer dogpile.

in SL, Everyone is someone's guest. No one is entitled to be in that location, and the host can be a jerk.

• Like 7

I have seen a few places that forbid furry avatars, but it is perfectly reasonable and in their right to do so.

Personally what I do is get my alt account and scope out the place to make sure it'll be somewhere I will fit in, this is primarily due to anxiety but also because I like to read the rules before I set foot on my main.

People have their reasons to forbid specific types of avatars, but there is also plenty of places for everyone in SL.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Doc Carling said:

Just because places are not "pro" something doesn't mean they are "anti".  It normally only means they aren't made for a type of character that a residents choosed to be.  For me a normal thing. I remember how many arguments with other residents I had in the past because I don't want to see child avatars at my places. They accused me that I don't like children in general. What's wrong of course. The whole gang of nieces and nephews which I have in RL would doubtless confirm that.

Going to echo this.

Sometimes you build something and set up something, and you have a theme you want to maintain. Telling someone they're not in theme is not the same as not liking that person or their avatar.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Going to echo this.

Sometimes you build something and set up something, and you have a theme you want to maintain. Telling someone they're not in theme is not the same as not liking that person or their avatar.

Yes and no as I think some really do not want us there and we upset their SL because the two times I went they seemed awkward with their "adult topics" chatting in local because I might have been perceived to be "child-like" and the chatting ceased completely, so there was an air uncomfortableness.   That doesn't mean they are anti, but they have another main crowd to please.   Plus, some club owners do not want to break the immersion for their customers which I understand. 

It was just uncomfortable all around.  I'm glad I found tiny sims to hang with because it's way more fun, but all are welcome at our live music events or any event really.  We have humans who do hang around us because we have some really great musicians and we're cross-over friends networking some live artists in SL.  Plus, Keeba Tammas and The Tiny Maniacs are a human and tiny act, so when Keeba plays at human clubs they know tinies are going to show up at the show.  Keeba is human, the "maniacs", her band, are all tinies (partly animal).   For live music events, most are welcome but I know what Coffee is saying about dragons.  If you are going to be a dragon, don't take up most of the dance floor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

Yes and no as I think some really do not want us there and we upset their SL because the two times I went they seemed awkward with their "adult topics" chatting in local because I might have been perceived to be "child-like" and the chatting ceased completely, so there was an air uncomfortableness.   That doesn't mean they are anti, but they have another main crowd to please.   Plus, some club owners do not want to break the immersion for their customers which I understand. 

It was just uncomfortable all around.  I'm glad I found tiny sims to hang with because it's way more fun, but all are welcome at our live music events or any event really.  We have humans who do hang around us because we have some really great musicians and we're cross-over friends networking some live artists in SL.  Plus, Keeba Tammas and The Tiny Maniacs are a human and tiny act, so when Keeba plays at human clubs they know tinies are going to show up at the show.  Keeba is human, the "maniacs", her band, are all tinies (partly animal).   For live music events, most are welcome but I know what Coffee is saying about dragons.  If you are going to be a dragon, don't take up most of the dance floor.

That has nothing to do with what I said. Doesn't matter who's at a place or why, or what the conversation is, if there's a theme the owner is trying to maintain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

That has nothing to do with what I said. Doesn't matter who's at a place or why, or what the conversation is, if there's a theme the owner is trying to maintain.

Are you saying that theme is clearly stated and says what "humans only" or what exactly?  A theme I'm not quite sure what you mean.  To me a theme is pirates and wenches or something like that, which used to come up in the olden days of SL for contests a lot, certain "themes".  

Besides, if it says humans only, why would a furry want to go there?  They wouldn't.

I wasn't sure what you or Doc were saying exactly because from my experience human only places that don't say so aren't exactly pro other kind of avatars.  It's like they expect you to know all of SL is human only everywhere that is not role play instead of saying so in their "rules", let alone stating they have any kind of a theme.

I think the human only is attempting to keep their biggest populace of avatars happy as that's their cash cow.    

Edited by FairreLilette

16 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Are you saying that theme is clearly stated and says what "humans only" or what exactly?  A theme I'm not quite sure what you mean.  To me a theme is pirates and wenches or something like that, which used to come up in the olden days of SL for contests a lot, certain "themes".  

Besides, if it says humans only, why would a furry want to go there?  They wouldn't.

I wasn't sure what you or Doc were saying exactly because from my experience human only places that don't say so aren't exactly pro other kind of avatars.  It's like they expect you to know all of SL is human only everywhere that is not role play instead of saying so in their "rules", let alone stating they have any kind of a theme.

I think the human only is attempting to keep their biggest populace of avatars happy as that's their cash cow.    

I'd say most, although not all, of the adult clubs I go to are human only.   They tend to try and emulate a club scene in RL.  Last time I was at a RL club, I didn't see any furries or tinies.  Clubs are really the only place aside from dedicated RP regions that I've seen have a human only policy.  Most moderate clubs seem to be ok with everyone.  There are always exceptions on both sides.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

I'm saying if I put on a Star Trek outfit, they're going to throw me out of a pirate region. If I dress liken a hobo, they're going to throw me out of a formal ball, even though I'm a human every time. Same applies to tinies, furries, animals, and whatever else. In SL, there's no such thing as physical "discrimination"; only dress codes.

They don't have to spell it out, they own the place. They can have as few or as many rules as they want. That said, the ones that want people to show up will do their best to accommodate us and make it clear what they expect.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I'm saying if I put on a Star Trek outfit, they're going to throw me out of a pirate region. If I dress liken a hobo, they're going to throw me out of a formal ball, even though I'm a human every time. Same applies to tinies, furries, animals, and whatever else. In SL, there's no such thing as physical "discrimination"; only dress codes.

They don't have to spell it out, they own the place. They can have as few or as many rules as they want. That said, the ones that want people to show up will do their best to accommodate us and make it clear what they expect.

If there are stated dress codes, why would anyone want to go not in the appropriate dress unless they didn't get the memo or one is purposely griefing?  Still, what the dress codes are should be spelled out, it's only common courtesy if one has specifics and to not expect mind readers.  If it's not discriminatory, then why not spell out what the prerequisites are?   Are they afraid they will appear discriminatory if they spell it out?   You don't have to answer because I still know what you saying - their sim/their rules and I know that.  

But, actually to the OP, my experience has been different.  When I started SL way back in 2006, actually there were many clubs where there were no dress codes and everyone just mixed together.  I often describe that old SL as sort of like the bar scene in Star Wars with every kind of creature as well as human.  I find it more restrictive now then way back when.  

That door swings both ways. I know of some furry/anime places that discourage or ban regular human avatars. I know a role-play sim that requires everyone have a realistically sized human avatar, dressed in theme for the setting, so your average 8' human male avatar isn't getting in. None of the places I'm thinking of are particularly anti-anything, they just have themes that they try to maintain and the dress code is a part of that. People go to these places because they enjoy the themes and immersion. Not because they're anti any particular group of avatars.

I have human, furry and anime avatars. I have fantasy, sci-fi and modern avatars. I typically dress for my mood at any given moment, and go to sims where I can immerse myself in the theme I've chosen.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

That door swings both ways. I know of some furry/anime places that discourage or ban regular human avatars.

Name one. Specifically, name a furry sim that bans human avatars. That'd be an SL first for me.

Humans never tend to be banned because they fit into almost all furry settings just fine, being that humans are animals too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

Name one. Specifically, name a furry sim that bans human avatars. That'd be an SL first for me.

Humans never tend to be banned because they fit into almost all furry settings just fine, being that humans are animals too.

Tinies, us small little humanials, do not ban humans either, nor any avatar for that matter.  The only rule is bits must be covered.  Humans are always welcome.  Tinies do not have bits though, but other avatars may, so that rule is given out.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

I can't think of any furry focused place that bans humans, but they all make humans feel less welcome (even if that's unintentional). 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.