I wanna make my own avatar!

Jinx Lavarock

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hmm okay so I know it won't be easy but I can't seem to find any sort of tutorial anywhere on this. I have some 3d modeling background and have rigged characters before [I use Blender] and I'm also an artist and I've decided I won't really be satisfied with my avatar until it looks like my art/designs, since nothing is really? Stylized enough for me? Idk i wanna be a cartoon but like. A custom one based on my art. I've figured out how to get models into second life but I kind of want something more: I want the face to be bento or at the very least have expressions. But I have no idea how to do any of that and I'm not finding anything. So if someone could help me figure out the best way to do all of this that would be wonderful. [I also want to throw out there this is a personal project and I recognize this probably wont fit other bodies/heads and will just need its own separate wardrobe or something and honestly? That's fine with me. If I could fit it to maitreya tho that would be cool. Not required but cool. Probably unlikely due to how stylized my art is.]

bonus question: How do you make a body with a working hud? Then again I guess that if I can figure out how to get expressions I could figure this out as well. [Since both would be controlled via a hud I assume]

Again I know this absolutely won't be easy or happen overnight. I'm willing to work for it. I just need to know what to actually do.

Hi @Jinx  Lavarock . Yes its a challenge but very worth while there is lots of useful websites to help especially here in the forum and on the internet . Some of the best is http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Project_Bento_Skeleton_Guide#Face and https://blog.machinimatrix.org/avatar-workbench/ the later has models to download . Don't forget your shape is controlled by a shape file in Second life as well. 

The bonus question is straightforward you just make a prim or mesh with a face image of your hud buttons and use a touch script on it  I use these for my light controllers inworld: you will need it in touch_start something similar:

touch_start (integer total_number)
{

gGetKey = llDetectedKey(0);
  integer link = llDetectedLinkNumber(0);
  integer face = llDetectedFace(0);
  if(face == TOUCH_INVALID_FACE) {
    llShout (PUBLIC_CHANNEL,"Your viewer does not support touched faces.");
    return;
  }
  // rows of buttons from edge of image allow more than your buttons so that your buttons fall on your own buttons for a press you might need two or more if(iButton== 26) { //Do Something } etc
  integer iRows = 30; 
  // columns of buttons from edge of image allow more than your buttons so that your buttons fall on your own buttons for a press you might need two or more if(iButton== 26) { //Do Something } etc
  integer iCols=11;
  vector vsT = llDetectedTouchST(0);

integer iButton = ((integer)Floor(vsT.y*iRows))*iCols + (integer) llCeil(vsT.x*iCols);

llOwnerSay("Button:"+ (String)iButton) // will print the touched location cell
  if(iButton== 26) { //Do Something } // etc
}

When you have it working in world take into inventory and Attach to HUD it will appear at the location you sec edit it in edit mode to rotate it so you can see buttons. You can also progress forward using different images on the face and make a complicated HUD like Maitreya. Good Luck

;

Edited by VirtualKitten
coding did not auto indent so corrected

20 hours ago, Jinx Lavarock said:

Hmm okay so I know it won't be easy but I can't seem to find any sort of tutorial anywhere on this. I have some 3d modeling background and have rigged characters before [I use Blender] and I'm also an artist and I've decided I won't really be satisfied with my avatar until it looks like my art/designs, since nothing is really? Stylized enough for me? Idk i wanna be a cartoon but like. A custom one based on my art. I've figured out how to get models into second life but I kind of want something more: I want the face to be bento or at the very least have expressions. But I have no idea how to do any of that and I'm not finding anything.

1. Model an avatar, staying within SL's technical limits on vertex & material counts.
  2. Rig it to Second Life's armature, again staying within the limits of 4 weights per vertex and 110 weight groups total. You can move bones but not add, reparent or rename them.
  3. FILE A SUPPORT TICKET TO ACTIVATE YOUR TEST SERVER ("ADITI") ACCOUNT. You don't want to burn real Lindens uploading avatars and find out they're buggy the hard way.

I mean, simple, right? :)

EDIT: It sounds like you already have the basics down. From here it will be more a matter of learning SL's hard limits and good practices. As for rigging the face, there is no universal standard set of animations AFAIK, but if you don't move bones too much your head could easily end up compatible with animations created for mainstream heads...if those are something you have access to.

If you don't use Fitted Mesh bones, you'll avoid a lot of headache and be able to make something with Blender alone. (You will probably have trouble fitting into mainstream clothes; then again, you'll be able to deform them with some shape sliders without affecting your body, so you might get lucky and be able to make them fit.)

Edited by Quarrel Kukulcan

2 hours ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:
  1. Model an avatar, staying within SL's technical limits on vertex & material counts.
  2. Rig it to Second Life's armature, again staying within the limits of 4 weights per vertex and 110 weight groups total. You can move bones but not add, reparent or rename them.
  3. FILE A SUPPORT TICKET TO ACTIVATE YOUR TEST SERVER ("ADITI") ACCOUNT. You don't want to burn real Lindens uploading avatars and find out they're buggy the hard way.

I mean, simple, right? :)

If you don't use Fitted Mesh bones, you'll avoid a lot of headache and be able to make something with Blender alone. (You will probably have trouble fitting into mainstream clothes; then again, you'll be able to deform them with some shape sliders without affecting your body, so you might get lucky and be able to make them fit.)

Thank you. How do I go about filing the support ticket?

On 4/24/2021 at 7:40 AM, VirtualKitten said:

Hi @Jinx  Lavarock . Yes its a challenge but very worth while there is lots of useful websites to help especially here in the forum and on the internet . Some of the best is http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Project_Bento_Skeleton_Guide#Face and https://blog.machinimatrix.org/avatar-workbench/ the later has models to download . Don't forget your shape is controlled by a shape file in Second life as well. 

The bonus question is straightforward you just make a prim or mesh with a face image of your hud buttons and use a touch script on it  I use these for my light controllers inworld: you will need it in touch_start something similar:

touch_start (integer total_number)
{

gGetKey = llDetectedKey(0);
  integer link = llDetectedLinkNumber(0);
  integer face = llDetectedFace(0);
  if(face == TOUCH_INVALID_FACE) {
    llShout (PUBLIC_CHANNEL,"Your viewer does not support touched faces.");
    return;
  }
  // rows of buttons from edge of image allow more than your buttons so that your buttons fall on your own buttons for a press you might need two or more if(iButton== 26) { //Do Something } etc
  integer iRows = 30; 
  // columns of buttons from edge of image allow more than your buttons so that your buttons fall on your own buttons for a press you might need two or more if(iButton== 26) { //Do Something } etc
  integer iCols=11;
  vector vsT = llDetectedTouchST(0);

integer iButton = ((integer)Floor(vsT.y*iRows))*iCols + (integer) llCeil(vsT.x*iCols);

llOwnerSay("Button:"+ (String)iButton) // will print the touched location cell
  if(iButton== 26) { //Do Something } // etc
}

When you have it working in world take into inventory and Attach to HUD it will appear at the location you sec edit it in edit mode to rotate it so you can see buttons. You can also progress forward using different images on the face and make a complicated HUD like Maitreya. Good Luck

;

THANK YOU!!!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.