what am i missing?

bladeshredder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

im trying to upload a mesh project to SL and although the scale appears fine in blender, when uploading it the scale is way off from what it was, can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

i have used a female mesh model to size it and that looks fine as its only a test subject at the moment but the only issue seems to be scaling and texture applying but why?

any help would be great and thanks

please see images below.

blender render.png

error render.png

Edited by bladeshredder
to be sure the project gets help

11 minutes ago, bladeshredder said:

can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

Dimensions - y: 0.003.

The smallest possible in SL is 0.01. There are several workarounds for this limitation. In this case the best is probably to merge that part with the rest of the pendant.

15 hours ago, bladeshredder said:

what about the textures? im trying to use the one i made in blender but it just wont apply, ive tried UV mapping but i dont normally use mapping, or how can i save the texture itself to import?

If every object used its own texture originally (which is not efficient for the renderer and something it'd help to unlearn), you shouldn't have to remap anything. And you must have UV mapped things at some point if you're using textures at all. (Unless you're modding an existing model, maybe, or using a tool that produces a default UV map for every primitive shape you add.) If the things you've joined into a single mesh each used to have its own separate material, you do need to ensure the joined version contains all of them and that you've assigned the right ones to individual faces.

As far as uploading textures with your model, frankly, the simplest solution is to upload them separately and put them onto your object post-upload in SL's object editor.

Edited by Quarrel Kukulcan

ok its just im trying to get a nice glossy effect on my collars but again i dont know if there is a way you can rip textures is there any ready made source for textures? i want to make a steel like texture with reflections or something that seems as its reflecting light off it as steel would when its shiny

2 hours ago, bladeshredder said:

ok its just im trying to get a nice glossy effect on my collars but again i dont know if there is a way you can rip textures is there any ready made source for textures? i want to make a steel like texture with reflections or something that seems as its reflecting light off it as steel would when its shiny

For the fundamental material look across the entire object, there are infinity free images on the web for basic textures like woodgrain, fabric, sand and brushed metal. Just hit up your favorite search engine. You'll need to tweak your UV maps and/or rotate/rescale the image to get the details the right size and running the correct direction. Another option is custom-building your own procedural textures, which is its own rewarding-yet-nigh-bottomless pit of learning and experimentation.

That won't give you burned-in shadows and highlights, though. For that you also need to learn how to set good lighting up around your object and then bake a finalized version of its appearance to a separate image, which is the one you'll actually upload to SL. You can do this with Blender or with another, more specialized tool like Substance Painter.

On top of all that, SL itself allows you to make materials shiny and skybox-reflective in-world, at the texture-pixel level if you so desire (though this won't be visible to people who've turned Advanced Lighting off for better framerates, so baking in highlights is still incredibly useful).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.