Spam Keywords?!

2Sierra3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello guys, so I have this issue where an item I listed keeps disappearing from my store at random times and I have to list it again for some reason even though it appears listed in my Viewer. after some back and forth with support I figured I had to log out and back in to get an explanation that says that my listening was automatically removed because I have used a banned text, and I am assuming that is a brand name that I wanted people to find my product if searched for it, I did not use the name of the brand or logo or anything really other people can see, I just threw the name there because that's usually okay in keywords! anyway, I removed it and I hoped that selves the issue. A few hours later my product is gone again! Now the alert says:

Product "Levantees Jeans - Designer Capri Jeans - Mia LE TRUFit" was flagged for Spam Keyword Spam (unrelated keywords that skew search results)."

I don't know what to say, I have invested so much time in this product and marketed it everywhere as my first creation and as a special limited item, and now nobody can find it, this is bad PR! Maybe warn me that there is something wrong with the item, if there was any, I really doubt any keyword I used is a "Spam", and then if I don't change it remove the product, but removing it with out warning is so bad!
what can I do now? what constitutes a spam keyword? I mean it's a jeans and I use these keywords (Jeans, Pants, Capri, Capri Jeans, pants, Designer, Denim, women's, women's jeans, designer jeans, short jeans, Trufit, Tru-fit, fashion, streetwear, ubran, skater, hipster, anarchist)
And I am afraid to list it again because this time it said the item was "Flagged" and I'm not sure how bad that is for my product and for my store really 

7 minutes ago, 2Sierra3 said:

what constitutes a spam keyword? I mean it's a jeans and I use these keywords (Jeans, Pants, Capri, Capri Jeans, pants, Designer, Denim, women's, women's jeans, designer jeans, short jeans, Trufit, Tru-fit, fashion, streetwear, ubran, skater, hipster, anarchist)

'jeans' used 5 times

'pants' used twice

'capri' used twice

'designer' used twice

'women's' used twice

I found it just fine with a search for 'Levantees Jeans' so you must have relisted it.

Wait a minute, these are different phrases, a keyword can contain more than one phrase if I didn't say "designer jeans" for example or "women's jeans" then it would be a spam because then it's not specifically about jeans, the marketplace guidelines about spam say that spam words are ones that are not related to your product, like if I threw in t shirt or shoes in the keywords. Also I can't depend on people searching "levantees jeans" because no one still knows about my store, it's new! Also what you found is the demo version, I haven't relisted the product yet

3 minutes ago, 2Sierra3 said:
8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In addition to what Skell pointed out, be sure to always check what gets populated on the tab of the other languages.

What do you mean?

My understanding is that when you create your listing and provide keywords, the system automatically provides the info on tabs/pages in other languages.  Per forum threads, there are times where it is the translated keywords and/or description that causes an item to be de-listed.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

So this was the support response: "Thank you for reaching out, and for keeping us updated.

Marketplace item listing keywords must apply directly to the product being sold. After reviewing the listing, it looks like the words "ubran," "skater," "hipster," and "anarchist" need to be removed before the product is re-listed.

Please get in touch if you have any other questions or concerns."

And I don't like it, but whatever at least now I know

8 minutes ago, 2Sierra3 said:
So this was the support response: "Thank you for reaching out, and for keeping us updated.

Marketplace item listing keywords must apply directly to the product being sold. After reviewing the listing, it looks like the words "ubran," "skater," "hipster," and "anarchist" need to be removed before the product is re-listed.

Please get in touch if you have any other questions or concerns."

And I don't like it, but whatever at least now I know

I agree with them that the terms "ubran", "skater", "hipster" and "anarchist" have nothing to do with your jeans - there is nothing about your jeans that make them specific to an anarchist versus a non-anarchist.  In other words, you are using words that describe a type of person or a person's activities - and that has nothing to do with your jeans.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2Sierra3 said:

Here's an example of anarchist street fashion: https://anarchystate.com/
An example of skater streetwear: https://www.ae.com/us/en/c/women/jeans/skater-jeans/cat790010

you can also google hipster jeans, don't think my jeans fit into these themes?

Doesn't matter what we think.  It only matters what the MP software thinks is spam.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2Sierra3 said:

An example of skater streetwear: https://www.ae.com/us/en/c/women/jeans/skater-jeans/cat790010

Those type of descriptive words are very subjective.

It does no good to try convincing us.  LL's view is pretty much the law.  

On 4/22/2021 at 5:15 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

My understanding is that when you create your listing and provide keywords, the system automatically provides the info on tabs/pages in other languages.  Per forum threads, there are times where it is the translated keywords and/or description that causes an item to be de-listed.

On 4/22/2021 at 5:19 PM, 2Sierra3 said:

So I need to know other languages? 😅😂 but sure, makes sense 

The English content is copied to the other language tabs (if left empty), not translated. The other tabs won't be updated automatically if you later update your English description, so you'll end up with out-of-date descriptions showing for customers using other languages on MP. That won't be considered spam unless of course your original listing contained spam that you didn't clean up.

I'm not trying to convince anyone, I don't know why everyone is so defensive here. I'm just sharing my experience with other creators in case they had this issue. I still find the way second life handles keyword spamming needs some improvement, and I also think store owners should be given a warning at least briefly before unlisting a product so there is a chance to fix the issue before your customers start ending up with a broken link. other than that thanks for everyone who tried to help :)  

On 4/22/2021 at 6:34 AM, 2Sierra3 said:

streetwear, ubran, skater, hipster, anarchist

I think you should open another support ticket. It appears that many don't understand these types of people do wear specific types of clothes, and you have designed clothes to cater to these people (or say you have, as I didn't check out the clothes).

I doubt something like 'Victorian dress' would be removed as we're all familiar with this type of style.

2 hours ago, 2Sierra3 said:

I'm not trying to convince anyone

Then why bother posting the below statements?

On 4/24/2021 at 7:31 AM, 2Sierra3 said:

On 4/30/2021 at 2:06 PM, 2Sierra3 said:

I'm not trying to convince anyone, I don't know why everyone is so defensive here. I'm just sharing my experience with other creators in case they had this issue. I still find the way second life handles keyword spamming needs some improvement, and I also think store owners should be given a warning at least briefly before unlisting a product so there is a chance to fix the issue before your customers start ending up with a broken link. other than that thanks for everyone who tried to help :)  

Something to consider is you didn't use the phrases "anarchist street fashion" or "skater streetwear". Where a word alone does not make sense for a product, you can use the phrase. That doesn't mean they'll accept the phrases in this case, but it's something to consider for future keywords.

As another example to show what I mean, suppose I tagged something "spider" and "wolf". The product is actually a wolf spider. I could get caught for using "wolf" because it isn't a wolf. I really should have used "wolf spider".

On the unlisting issue, an art site I'm on deletes products with incorrect keywords so it has to be remade (and it's POD art, so it isn't just a listing... it means redoing the design). I find the marketplace mild and mellow in comparison, as you can just fix small issues and relist.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.