SL work meetings

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I remain, as always, a skeptic. I think this idea is as rubbish as it was a decade ago. SL is an awful, dreadful, no good, very bad way to conduct meetings, unless the goal of the meeting is to distract people from the goal. We all know how steep the SL learning curve is. Why on Earth would you raise that curve in front of meetings that already tax the productivity of your employees?

There are purpose built collaboration tools that will improve faster over time than SL because that's their focus...

https://www.techradar.com/best/best-online-collaboration-tools

It's also worth noting that millennials and younger are primarily mobile based and SL currently has no mobile capability.

I understand the allure of jumping on the Work From Home bandwagon, but pursuing customers for which your product is a poor fit is not a winning strategy, particularly when going up against focused competitors.

• Thanks 1

But here we are. again.

https://www.connect.secondlife.com/

You know what would have made a better micro site? One focused on specific communities in SL, Furry, LGBT, Vampy Roleplay, AFK Sex, New Linden Homes,  literally anything that people are actually excited about using SL for.

We exist. There are lots of other people out there just like us who don't use SL and would enjoy it. There's a huge number who have moved on and could be temped back. Easily enough to meet all the growth targets and then some.

But no. LL are chasing the dream of different "better" customers they don't have, pitching the same half baked ideas that have failed to sell for a decade. The same ideas that failed just as hard on Sansar and HiFi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2021 at 7:30 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

There is nothing turnkey about any of this. This is not how business works.

Lets have a zoom call .. 5 minutes .. JOB DONE.

Lets use Teams, it just as easy and comes with free depression!

Lets meet in SL .. we should probably have a zoom call to brief everyone on how to get an avatar and how sitting works, bob's working on a getting started email guide for everyone, oh and we should give people some money so they can buy .. um .. stuff. lets say we do this .. a week next wednesday. Hang on, the infosec team are having literal kittens over this idea and wont stop trying to call ... 

Exactly this.

There is just no point doing business meetings in SL, unless it is a business related to SL (I do that all the time). Otherwise I use Zoom. Just did a workshop with 20 Attendees last week without any hazzles.

Maybe SL  as part of gamification? Some start-ups over here (Berlin) love the concept. But that  is more playing than serious business.

Edited by Caroline Takeda
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

You know what would have made a better micro site? One focused on specific communities in SL, Furry, LGBT, Vampy Roleplay, AFK Sex, New Linden Homes,  literally anything that people are actually excited about using SL for.

We exist. There are lots of other people out there just like us who don't use SL and would enjoy it. There's a huge number who have moved on and could be temped back. Easily enough to meet all the growth targets and then some.

Good idea. 
I might as well emballish on that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 9:56 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

OOOOh what happened?
Asking for a friend...

Well…… one of them discovered an Away from Keyboard-Sex place while still on his company machine and saved some screenies that were difficult to explain.

Luckily he had to explain them to me….I led with “I thought you were a better Geek than this….”

The other came back on his personal machine and spent a long weekend getting in touch with his FurSona. Everything was fine until (what sounds like) post-Yiff heartbreak happened.

Now, how he feels about SL depends on what day of the week it is and how his love life is going………. He has a lot of love-life………

So….they very successfully found the steamier side of SL and  reveled in it 🙂

image.gif

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I cant help feeling there is a niche market for SL meetings for business.  It'll never be big what with zoom and teamviewer etc. Nonetheless, LL is right to offer some sort of solution I think. 'Drop in' avatars and 'drop in' purpose built venues to smooth the entry would be essential of course.

50 minutes ago, animats said:

I'd like to see the ability to call into and out of SL on Zoom. You'd appear on Zoom as your SL avatar, in world.

OBS virtual camera?

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 8:56 AM, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

I've done business meetings in SL with my clients for years and when I put the meeting room in my place in Zindra everyone really started to enjoy them.

Very funny.

Work meetings on the "Not Safe For Work" continent.

Maybe next to that snuff place? Or equally NSFW: Next to my place (Novazeit, Takeda Media Office)?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.