Male mesh heads and bodies cost the same but get much less update support

ThomasLevi Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have noticed a trend in SL that seems to be getting worse.  Mesh body and head creators have zero problem charging everyone up to 6K L for their products, but when it comes to product updates, they lavish the timely update support on the female products and the males wait.  Current example.  Meshbody maker of Legacy bodies Has 3 female bodies for sale and only 2 male bodies.  The female bodies have been updated multiple times with features and fixes and are all at VS 1.4.  The original male body I have from them has not seen an update in what will be 14 months in 5 days and is only at Vs 1.2.  The second male body released Summer of 2020 is still on version 1.0.  The newest female body started getting updates and free add-ons a few months after its release. Now they have starting talking about this new Legacy X add on that will be coming and have already flat out said that will go to the female bodies first.  Catwa is another offender. They update nearly 30 female heads while the owners of the male heads who also paid 5K get nothing for months after the last female head was updated. Now some fancy pants is going to pop up and say "well they don't have to update anything if they don't want to." This is true.  In that case they must update no one.  Someone else might come along and say.  "Well that's because women buy more."  Doesn't matter.  Every customer who pays the going rate for a product deserves the same level and timeliness of updates.  Gender bias has no place in SL anymore than it does in the real world.  Most of us spend our RL money in SL, we have the right to expect the same value for our money. And I wonder how if gender bias is illegal in so many parts of the world, how it can be so common in SL and nobody does anything about it. There are rules about illegal gaming in SL and other stuff, why isn't gender bias a no no in the SL TOS?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ThomasLevi Hexem said:

Every customer who pays the going rate for a product deserves the same level and timeliness of updates. 

I'll try to avoid the economics argument, because you already said you don't want to hear it, but my other 2 cents:

1. Timeliness and frequency of updates mean nothing. in (my) ideal world creators should just make the product perfect the first time, and never need to update. Big software companies have moved to the "software as service" model because continuing to work on something after its already been sold is basically working for free, which is a recipe for going out of business; you don't deserve anything more than what you bought at the time of purchase, any post-purchase updates are goodwill on the part of the creator.

2. Men's and women's heads are *gasp* different products. Men (generally speaking) don't want blush and lipstick, and women (generally speaking) don't want facial hair options. Unless the creator makes both male and female heads using the same exact huds and systems, there's almost no way to make updates cross-gender compatible. If male heads/bodies are receiving fewer updates /maybe/ its because they were built better in the first place.

• Like 2

I would also say it depends on the feedback an creator gets. The more the product is sold, the more feedback they get and they can work on their product and update it.

But when the customer just puts everything on and is happy with it as it is, they wont send any feedback for the product and then there's no need for the creator to update it.

1 hour ago, oOJoselinOo said:

I would also say it depends on the feedback an creator gets. The more the product is sold, the more feedback they get and they can work on their product and update it.

But when the customer just puts everything on and is happy with it as it is, they wont send any feedback for the product and then there's no need for the creator to update it.

concerning the Legacy brand aka TMP ...it was to be expected... don't tell nobody warned about that when they came up in the market again. It wouldn't be a surprise if their support disappears soon again for a few years.

Catwa did as far i know the updates to the male heads.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ThomasLevi Hexem said:

Catwa is another offender. They update nearly 30 female heads while the owners of the male heads who also paid 5K get nothing for months after the last female head was updated.

Female Bento v4.5 updates (2 fixes & 2 additions)
Completed by December 2019.

Male Bento v4.5 updates (2 fixes & 15 additions)
Completed by December 2019.

Female Bento v4.0 updates (15 additions)
Completed by end of August 2019

For reference: the female v4.0 heads took a total of 7 days (Aug 19th to Aug 26th) to complete and release 15 updates each on 27 heads = 405 individual updates. This was done almost non-stop with not much sleep, working extremely long hours. I can tell you from personal knowledge that Catwa needed a break after that, to spend some time with family again and decompress from that insane amount of work, on very little sleep and for what were, frankly, ridiculously long hours.

And during that entire stressful time, many men in the group were complaining non-stop to the tune of "But what about us? Where are our updates? This isn't fair!" I'll be honest and say that it was difficult for me to bite my tongue and diplomatically let them know that Catwa needed a bloody break for a bit.

People wonder why a creator needs to take a break before they dive back into working on more free updates, or a new range of products. That is why.

(I have no quibble regarding your point about Legacy. That's a bit of a sore point for me, too, but there is a vast difference between two bodies and almost 40 heads.)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.