Linden Homes: is it time to rethink the information sources?

arabellajones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been thinking of abandoning my ancient Tahoe home and moving the Belliseria, and finding out about the choices is a bit confusing. For example, the only Covenant I can be sure of is the one applied to my current home, which was last changed in 2010, and I know Belliseria has some extra rules. I would have thought there would be a web page, but all the Lindens seem to be able to do is tell you that you can read it when you have a Belliseria home. I must have missed something, but it feels legally dodgy that you can't easily read the contract before you accept it.

Anyway, with all the different themes, and the different homes within each theme, the information feels horribly scattered. There needs to be a good, maintained, index, which gets added to when a new theme appears. Too often Linden Lab fails to amend existing pages when something new is introduced, Page B amends page A, and links to it, but start from page A and there is no sign page B exists.

An example of outdated info: I am told in the covenant I can only use up to 10m prims, no megaprims. Which I can see makes sense for the days before the current 64m limit was introduced, but now?

To be honest, it doesn't help that I am not in a North American time zone. It looks as though new Home regions are released late afternoon in California, and where I am it is a time when I am tucked up warm in bed.

In the end, I may just grab a piece of conventional mainland. But some of the low-cost locations look as though they have awkward neighbours. And some of the prices set for on-sale land look as though somebody fell asleep while holding down the "9" key.

I think the forum is a good resource. And Lindens and Moles read here, and rein us in and correct us if we say something wrong.

You can visit any neighborhood in Bellisseria. The SSP thread show you a working map. (Yay!) 

This will give you an idea what kind of home you want. The Bellisseria Citizens group has a list over homes that are open for visitors too.

Sometimes people announce in that group chat when they abandon homes.

It has been Bellisseria homes free to take on the Land page very often, no matter what timezone you are in. The houseboats are most popular, and are rare to find. But people abandon all styles all the time.

You can refresh the land page 10 times in 10 minutes. You can set an auto-refresh to refresh the page every 70 seconds or maybe 80 seconds. Then you can read or watch a movie while the auto-refresh does its work. Let us say you want Log homes. You can set it to alert you for "Log". 

I can not say with 100% certainty that you will have a Bellisseria home in the style you prefer, but I am darn sure you will have a home. The more popular the style is, the longer you may wait and refresh more. But it is much more easy than it was the first year.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

This is, at the time of this posting, the current covenant for the entirety of Belliseria. Updated Feb 11th, 2021.

Welcome to Linden Homes for Premium account holders. Linden Homes is a residential community, located on the Bellisseria continent, owned and managed by Linden Lab. 

The purpose of Linden Homes is to provide an opportunity for Premium account Residents of the Second Life virtual world to quickly own a home and belong to a community. Linden Homes are available to Premium account holders with 1024m2 of available tier. Premium accounts are provided 1024m2 available tier at no cost.

As a Premium Account holder, you are eligible for live chat and ticket support from our Support Portal. If you need support for your Linden Home:

1. Go to https://support.secondlife.com/ and submit a ticket.
  2. Select the "Land and Region" ticket type.
  3. Under the resulting dropdown, select "Linden Homes".

Linden Homes is governed by this Covenant, Linden Home Terms and Conditions, Terms of Service (TOS), and Community Standards (CS): http://secondlife.com/corporate/tos.php

== Linden Home Restrictions ==

Linden Home has unique restrictions in addition to those outlined in the Linden Home Terms and Conditions. By accepting a Linden Home, you agree to additional restrictions as follows:

• Land cannot be terraformed, sold, deeded to group, joined, or divided. Land can only be set to group.
  • Land cannot contain temp-rezzers, or individual prims beyond the allocated size of the Second Life Viewer build tools. (64,64,64).
  • Skyboxes are only allowed above 2000m.
  • Your Linden Home may not be removed, modified, exchanged, set or deeded to group, or transferred. 
  • Residents must use one of the houses provided. Modification of the house itself beyond what is built into the controls is not possible. Additional buildings or structures are allowed as long as they are in theme and meet the height restrictions.
  • Privacy walls or fences should match the theme and extend no more than 4m above ground avior. 
  • Using prims or objects on parcels meant as advertisements on the world map is not allowed.
  • Lights or particles on your parcel should not extend into your neighbors parcels or houses.
  • “Off region” decorations extending from your parcel are not allowed.
  • Public space outside your parcel lines is just that… public space. Do not extend objects outside of your parcel in a way that will block, wall off, or “claim” public areas for yourself to the exclusion of other residents.
  • Activities and items that could be construed by Linden Lab as commercial and for profit are not permitted in the residential homes and houseboats in Bellisseria.
  • Activities and/or displaying items that could be construed by Linden Lab as political campaigning is not permitted in Bellisseria.
  • Terrain in the Stilt Home theme is not intended to be flat throughout the parcel. Requests to flatten, smooth, or add/remove water on the parcel will not be considered. 
  • Small islands under Slevel. All other structures should not extend higher than 15m above ground level or sea level, whichever is higher.
  • Linden Homes should be kept presentable and in-theme to their unique areas.
  • Linden Homes can not be used as sandboxes.
  • Linden Homes do not include traffic tracking.
  • Linden Homes can not be shown in search.
  • Ownership is limited to one Linden Home per Premium Account.
  • Changes cannot be made to roads, paths, plants, trees, rocks and other landscaping. Trees or other objects that overhang into parcels are meant to do so. They cannot be moved or removed.
  • Objects that extend outside of your parcel can be returned without warning or notice. 
  • Residents may decorate the interior of their house to their liking. The exterior should always remain in theme out of consideration for your neighbors.
  • Linden Home regions are Moderate rated regions. Please see the http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Adult_Content_FAQ regarding adult content and behtilt homes are allowed within reason. Any resident owned mesh or prim "land" or other objects on Stilt water parcels must be completely within the borders of the parcel and not extend into waterways blocking or obscuring them in any fashion. This also applies to any vehicles parked or moored on the parcel as well as phantom objects such as rocks or surf. Prim or mesh "pads" immediately under your Stilt home on land are allowed. However, filling or paving over all or most of your parcel with a simple block of rock, concrete, dirt, grass, sand etc is not allowed and is considered out of theme. 
  • Privacy screens, fences, or other parcel perimeter barriers are not allowed on the water in the Stilt Home theme.
  • Breedables and breedable systems (in world scripted objects that communicate with one another to "procreate" and give the user new variations or versions of themselves for sale or transfer) are only allowed under the following conditions:
  •     -They are limited to two (2) active units with "food" rezzed out at any given time.
  •     -Hovertext is OFF or is not visible from outside the parcel.
  •     -They are within theme if visible outside the home. 
  •     -They do not involve the constant re-rezzing of temp objects.
  • Linden Homes parcels cannot be used as a breedable "farm" or "mill" for large scale production of breedables.

== Seasonal & Holiday Content ==

• Seasonal and holiday decorations are permitted as long as they are tastefully applied.
  • Natural seasonal elements are permitted if they are applied subtly, such as a light dusting of snow or a scatter of leaves. 
  • Outdoor holiday decorations should be congruent with the holiday season (no Christmas decorations in May or Halloween decor in April for example). 
  • Remember to keep all seasonal and holiday decorations within the borders of your parcel and ensure that no content extends over the parcel lines.
  • Decoration should not be placed out any earlier than 30 days in advance of any holiday or seaso*Use your Premium account's 1024m2 included land tier allocation towards your Linden Home.
  • Ready-to-move-in themed home on a 512m2 or 1024m2 parcel.
  • Select your own Linden Home theme.
  • Decorate your home with furnishings.
  • Invite your friends to your home.
  • Meet your neighbors and make friends.
  • 1024m2 parcel Linden Homes are allocated 351 Land Impact.
  • Set Home to here at your Linden Home location. (World menu > Set Home to Here.)
  • Set land to group.

== Linden Home Etiquette ==

Living in a community includes courtesy towards your neighbors. Here are some guidelines for etiquette in Linden Home regions:

• Use local chat say, rather than shout.
  • Adhere to the Maturity Rating for the Linden Home region you're located in. 
  • Respect your neighbors' privacy.
  • Review general Second Life etiquette suggestions and incorporate them into your Linden Home experience: http://bit.ly/sletiquette

== Help ==

The Second Life Knowledge Base (KB) includes many helpful artin represented and must be removed within 15 days of the holiday or season passing.

== Security ==

*Linden Homes do not have the ability to set your parcel access to group access only (which creates ban lines for everyone else). You can still eject and ban people by name.
  *Security orbs are only allowed if they comply with the following restrictions:
     -Minimum of 15 seconds warning time (no shorter)
     -Eject from parcel only (not teleport them home)
     -Effective range cannot include the airspace between 400m and 2000m (to allow for people to fly overhead but not in the airspace where skyboxes are allowed)

If you are uncertain, there is a free security system provided in the Linden Homes Content Pack. It does not have the ability to be set in a manner that does not comply with these restrictions. Click on the house controller outside of your parcel (the one used for changing house models) to get the most current content pack sent to you.

== Linden Home Benefits ==

cles for beginning landowners and Residents new to the Second Life virtual world. Check it out:

» https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/

This covenant is subject to change.

We hope you enjoy your new Linden Home!

Revised 11 Feb 2021

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arabellajones said:

I have been thinking of abandoning my ancient Tahoe home and moving the Belliseria, and finding out about the choices is a bit confusing. For example, the only Covenant I can be sure of is the one applied to my current home, which was last changed in 2010, and I know Belliseria has some extra rules. I would have thought there would be a web page, but all the Lindens seem to be able to do is tell you that you can read it when you have a Belliseria home. I must have missed something, but it feels legally dodgy that you can't easily read the contract before you accept it.

Anyway, with all the different themes, and the different homes within each theme, the information feels horribly scattered. There needs to be a good, maintained, index, which gets added to when a new theme appears. Too often Linden Lab fails to amend existing pages when something new is introduced, Page B amends page A, and links to it, but start from page A and there is no sign page B exists.

An example of outdated info: I am told in the covenant I can only use up to 10m prims, no megaprims. Which I can see makes sense for the days before the current 64m limit was introduced, but now?

To be honest, it doesn't help that I am not in a North American time zone. It looks as though new Home regions are released late afternoon in California, and where I am it is a time when I am tucked up warm in bed.

In the end, I may just grab a piece of conventional mainland. But some of the low-cost locations look as though they have awkward neighbours. And some of the prices set for on-sale land look as though somebody fell asleep while holding down the "9" key.

This page contains info about all of the Bellisseria homes -- it is updated each time a new Theme is released -- and it also contains the covenant:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:New_Linden_Homes_2019

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arabellajones said:

I am in the UK and I find that it actually helps (most new releases seem to begin in the morning, California time) so they happen whilst much of the USA is still in work or in class, whereas it's mid-evening for me and it's not that busy. SL gets busier around 6pm SLT and that's when houses start disappearing off the land page more quickly. I don't know what timezone you're in, but if you're Europe-side it should be straightforward enough.

If you're still undecided, you can wander round the different zones (easier now that the map is working) and see how they look, take a look at the different house models and what people have done with them. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, arabellajones said:

If LL is releasing a region (or regions) by hand, or if they are doing the initial releases of a new theme, that of course occurs during their working hours (10-3 SLT, usually).  But once a theme is released, all the regions are tossed into a queue (or set of queues) that release them slowly 24 hours a day, I believe. 

However, since the rate of release appears to be tied to the rate at which new homes are claimed, more regions will turn out to be released when SL is busiest than in SL's wee hours.

If you are looking for a traditional, camper, Victorian or houseboat, the only homes available at present are abandons, and abandons are available at any time of day.  Log homes, campers, and stilts you see on the land page are also likely to be abandons at this time, but new regions with them may be released soonish.  Chalets are the only homes where new regions are actively being released right now.

I think we should all keep in mind that, once LL is done building Belli, all available Belli homes will be abandons.  Abandons are often terrific properties.

• Like 4

• Moles
3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I am shocked at how long the covenant is! 

Just remember the Windex Rule. They don't have warning labels on glass cleaner that say "DO NOT SPRAY IN EYES!" because they think you're stupid enough to do that. They have them because somewhere, sometime, someone was. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

Just remember the Windex Rule. They don't have warning labels on glass cleaner that say "DO NOT SPRAY IN EYES!" because they think you're stupid enough to do that. They have them because somewhere, sometime, someone was. 

The good news is "DO NOT SPRAY IN EYES" is not in the Bellisseria Covenant!!!

I'm gonna go try it!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

I’m still waiting for the helicopter covenant. You can’t just park a helicopter on your deck! 

I completely agree, but I doubt they will ever have a covenant that covers all manner of questionable taste.  Unless a couple of the remaining themes are marina slips and airport hangars, we will continue to see people proudly display their toys at the their homes, regardless of how ridiculous and inappropriate the may seem to some of us.  I make very liberal use of the derender feature.  

5 hours ago, Madonna666 said:

I'm pleased that breedable rules have been added to the covenant. 

I hadn't noticed that update.  I had 3 of my kitties out for a while at my houseboat.  They weren't actually in "breeding mode", but they are technically 'breedables' that eat food.  I totally understand the need for the rule, since a few people did find some massive breedable farms set up in the sky over some of the homes - pretty much the entire 351 LI dedicated to the breedables.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

In covenant posted above are some confusing moments. Look at Seasonal & Holiday Content + Help section.

Are those bc C/P issues here in forum or are those included into original covenant too?

Edited by Vihmakass

1 hour ago, Vihmakass said:

In covenant posted above are some confusing moments. Look at Seasonal & Holiday Content + Help section.

Are those bc C/P issues here in forum or are those included into original covenant too?

Something got messed up in the copy/paste above.  Here is the current covenant from the About Land:

==============

Welcome to Linden Homes for Premium account holders. Linden Homes is a residential community, located on the Bellisseria continent, owned and managed by Linden Lab. 

The purpose of Linden Homes is to provide an opportunity for Premium account Residents of the Second Life virtual world to quickly own a home and belong to a community. Linden Homes are available to Premium account holders with 1024m2 of available tier. Premium accounts are provided 1024m2 available tier at no cost.

As a Premium Account holder, you are eligible for live chat and ticket support from our Support Portal. If you need support for your Linden Home:

1. Go to https://support.secondlife.com/ and submit a ticket.
    2. Select the "Land and Region" ticket type.
    3. Under the resulting dropdown, select "Linden Homes".

Linden Homes is governed by this Covenant, Linden Home Terms and Conditions, Terms of Service (TOS), and Community Standards (CS): http://secondlife.com/corporate/tos.php

== Linden Home Restrictions ==

Linden Home has unique restrictions in addition to those outlined in the Linden Home Terms and Conditions. By accepting a Linden Home, you agree to additional restrictions as follows:

*Land cannot be terraformed, sold, deeded to group, joined, or divided. Land can only be set to group.
  *Land cannot contain temp-rezzers, or individual prims beyond the allocated size of the Second Life Viewer build tools. (64,64,64).
  *Skyboxes are only allowed above 2000m.
  *Your Linden Home may not be removed, modified, exchanged, set or deeded to group, or transferred. 
  *Residents must use one of the houses provided. Modification of the house itself beyond what is built into the controls is not possible. Additional buildings or structures are allowed as long as they are in theme and meet the height restrictions.
  *Privacy walls or fences should match the theme and extend no more than 4m above ground level. All other structures should not extend higher than 15m above ground level or sea level, whichever is higher.
  *Linden Homes should be kept presentable and in-theme to their unique areas.
  *Linden Homes can not be used as sandboxes.
  *Linden Homes do not include traffic tracking.
  *Linden Homes can not be shown in search.
  *Ownership is limited to one Linden Home per Premium Account.
  *Changes cannot be made to roads, paths, plants, trees, rocks and other landscaping. Trees or other objects that overhang into parcels are meant to do so. They cannot be moved or removed.
  *Objects that extend outside of your parcel can be returned without warning or notice. 
  *Residents may decorate the interior of their house to their liking. The exterior should always remain in theme out of consideration for your neighbors.
  *Linden Home regions are Moderate rated regions. Please see the http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Adult_Content_FAQ regarding adult content and behavior. 
  *Using prims or objects on parcels meant as advertisements on the world map is not allowed.
  *Lights or particles on your parcel should not extend into your neighbors parcels or houses.
  *“Off region” decorations extending from your parcel are not allowed.
  *Public space outside your parcel lines is just that… public space. Do not extend objects outside of your parcel in a way that will block, wall off, or “claim” public areas for yourself to the exclusion of other residents.
  *Activities and items that could be construed by Linden Lab as commercial and for profit are not permitted in the residential homes and houseboats in Bellisseria.
  *Activities and/or displaying items that could be construed by Linden Lab as political campaigning is not permitted in Bellisseria.
  *Terrain in the Stilt Home theme is not intended to be flat throughout the parcel. Requests to flatten, smooth, or add/remove water on the parcel will not be considered. 
  *Small islands under Stilt homes are allowed within reason. Any resident owned mesh or prim "land" or other objects on Stilt water parcels must be completely within the borders of the parcel and not extend into waterways blocking or obscuring them in any fashion. This also applies to any vehicles parked or moored on the parcel as well as phantom objects such as rocks or surf. Prim or mesh "pads" immediately under your Stilt home on land are allowed. However, filling or paving over all or most of your parcel with a simple block of rock, concrete, dirt, grass, sand etc is not allowed and is considered out of theme. 
  *Privacy screens, fences, or other parcel perimeter barriers are not allowed on the water in the Stilt Home theme.
  *Breedables and breedable systems (in world scripted objects that communicate with one another to "procreate" and give the user new variations or versions of themselves for sale or transfer) are only allowed under the following conditions:
    -They are limited to two (2) active units with "food" rezzed out at any given time.
    -Hovertext is OFF or is not visible from outside the parcel.
    -They are within theme if visible outside the home. 
    -They do not involve the constant re-rezzing of temp objects.
  *Linden Homes parcels cannot be used as a breedable "farm" or "mill" for large scale production of breedables.

== Seasonal & Holiday Content ==

*Seasonal and holiday decorations are permitted as long as they are tastefully applied.
  *Natural seasonal elements are permitted if they are applied subtly, such as a light dusting of snow or a scatter of leaves. 
  *Outdoor holiday decorations should be congruent with the holiday season (no Christmas decorations in May or Halloween decor in April for example). 
  *Remember to keep all seasonal and holiday decorations within the borders of your parcel and ensure that no content extends over the parcel lines.
  *Decoration should not be placed out any earlier than 30 days in advance of any holiday or season represented and must be removed within 15 days of the holiday or season passing.

== Security ==

*Linden Homes do not have the ability to set your parcel access to group access only (which creates ban lines for everyone else). You can still eject and ban people by name.
  *Security orbs are only allowed if they comply with the following restrictions:
     -Minimum of 15 seconds warning time (no shorter)
     -Eject from parcel only (not teleport them home)
     -Effective range cannot include the airspace between 400m and 2000m (to allow for people to fly overhead but not in the airspace where skyboxes are allowed)

If you are uncertain, there is a free security system provided in the Linden Homes Content Pack. It does not have the ability to be set in a manner that does not comply with these restrictions. Click on the house controller outside of your parcel (the one used for changing house models) to get the most current content pack sent to you.

== Linden Home Benefits ==

*Use your Premium account's 1024m2 included land tier allocation towards your Linden Home.
  *Ready-to-move-in themed home on a 512m2 or 1024m2 parcel.
  *Select your own Linden Home theme.
  *Decorate your home with furnishings.
  *Invite your friends to your home.
  *Meet your neighbors and make friends.
  *1024m2 parcel Linden Homes are allocated 351 Land Impact.
  *Set Home to here at your Linden Home location. (World menu > Set Home to Here.)
  *Set land to group.

== Linden Home Etiquette ==

Living in a community includes courtesy towards your neighbors. Here are some guidelines for etiquette in Linden Home regions:

*Use local chat say, rather than shout.
  *Adhere to the Maturity Rating for the Linden Home region you're located in. 
  *Respect your neighbors' privacy.
  *Review general Second Life etiquette suggestions and incorporate them into your Linden Home experience: http://bit.ly/sletiquette

== Help ==

The Second Life Knowledge Base (KB) includes many helpful articles for beginning landowners and Residents new to the Second Life virtual world. Check it out:

» https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/

This covenant is subject to change.

We hope you enjoy your new Linden Home!

Revised 11 Feb 2021

So this:

10 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

*1024m2 parcel Linden Homes are allocated 351 Land Impact.

So does this mean the house itself and landscaping, do not count against the 351 you are allocated on a 1024?  

48 minutes ago, Kyrie Deka said:

So this:

So does this mean the house itself and landscaping, do not count against the 351 you are allocated on a 1024?  

Correct.  The Linden/mole owned content, including the home and landscaping, does not count toward your 351 LI allowance.   

Edited by Matthieu Quander
Typing is hard.
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.