When will we see Larger SIMS?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Larger regions would choke the region simulator. It's single threaded and doing multiple threads "might" work if you had a thread got physics time, simulation time, net time, agent time, scripts, a controller thread, ect. That would pretty much require a complete rewrite of the SL server code and more than likely would not allow for an improvement of any sort to the residents/visitors of that region. It would more likely be a detriment to the user experience since it's not going to scale linearly to the size of the region. So, there would be more walking in mud, more freezing when avatars teleport in and out.  

7 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Make smaller avatars and buildings and such.

Now there's an idea! How about just making avatars normal human size for a change? And then making buildings and furniture to scale? Make it hard for those 3 meter giants to fit through the doorways. It would make every sim seem bigger (or smaller in a way to those who want to be giants). OK, I know this will never happen grid wide, but I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet...

Edited by KjartanEno
clarification

"This is an announcement from genetic control - 'It is our sad duty to inform you of a four-foot restriction on humanoid height'"

"They say, now that people will be shorter in height, they can fit twice as many in the same building site"

(get 'em out by Friday, for those who never knew Genesis when Peter Gabriel was still lead vocals and writer)

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2021 at 4:42 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

A mega region the size of 4 regular regions can not have the processing resources of 4 regular regions, that's not how SL works.

To be fair, a sim with more lateral space can still useful even if the performance budget stays the same. I doubt there would be much if any performance overhead from expanding the coordinate space (given the same prim/script/avatar counts), but I would worry about floating point issues that are already present at 4k. Obviously it would still take a lot of work, for example in updating a lot of LSL functionality to account for the extra space.

1 hour ago, KjartanEno said:

Now there's an idea! How about just making avatars normal human size for a change? And then making buildings and furniture to scale?

Please don't. You have no idea how hard it is to cram a third-person camera into an indoor space (especially when the walls aren't see-through from the outside). My main avatar is very short and I really appreciate the extra space.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

On 4/20/2021 at 10:05 AM, Naiman Broome said:

Interesting, how big those cam be? And what is stopping SL to implement them ?

I have had ones 10x10=100 sims running on an old duo core laptop and know of people who experimented with 256 and even1000 sim megas but understand that these still were limited to the prim and script limits of one sim. The builds were just spread out if there was any at all on it. Each added sim of the mega required 10 MB of ram over and above the initial 100 MB required for the first instance.

I think LL should give the option of selling Mega sized Islands at a slightly premium price over one sim for those wanting to use different types of vehicles and as far as parcels and renters is concerned, they would just still be limited to the standard amount of prims but on a larger sized parcel. Might get rid of the need for all those skyboxes blocking up the scenery. I don't see it making that much difference to either LL or the landlords as really S/L is more in the business of selling prim (Li) allotments then virtual land. Hardware wise it just requires some additional ram but the cpu can be the same as long as the Prim limits stay in place.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I have had ones 10x10=100 sims running on an old duo core laptop and know of people who experimented with 256 and even1000 sim megas but understand that these still were limited to the prim and script limits of one sim. The builds were just spread out if there was any at all on it. Each added sim of the mega required 10 MB of ram over and above the initial 100 MB required for the first instance.

I think LL should give the option of selling Mega sized Islands at a slightly premium price over one sim for those wanting to use different types of vehicles and as far as parcels and renters is concerned, they would just still be limited to the standard amount of prims but on a larger sized parcel. Might get rid of the need for all those skyboxes blocking up the scenery. I don't see it making that much difference to either LL or the landlords as really S/L is more in the business of selling prim (Li) allotments then virtual land. Hardware wise it just requires some additional ram but the cpu can be the same as long as the Prim limits stay in place.

BALOON RACES!  Oh, wait.  What do the wind vectors look like on a 10x10 on Open Simulator?

10 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Ebbe's said plenty of things that have aged like milk.

Like, "Let's be the millionth company to chase after VR! Who cares if my pipe dream causes massive layoffs and wastes millions of dollars and eventually causes the company to be sold to the sharks? I'll still have a job after it all blows up anyway and my boy can have fun playing mini-me!". 😆

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.