Will Open Space regions ever be back in the land store?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A while ago, Linden Lab decided to take Open Space regions out of the land store.

A friend of mine owns an estate with rentals and would like to purchase and add a few Open Space regions. To this purpose, I set off to JIRA to submit it as a feature request.

I found one recent attempt on JIRA with a similar request to bring them back. This JIRA was closed pretty quickly with a mention by @Alexa Linden to contact Support instead (see screen shot below):

52ae8f90010558c7533d838e0833de62.thumb.png.3c5c2c83587114931c04977eac6b4949.png

So it seems pretty futile to make another JIRA with a similar request myself.

I do have a few questions about this matter, though.

For one, to me, this seems a valid feature request which was nonetheless closed for the reason that this was a matter for Support, rather than JIRA. However, my friend had talked to Support, and they said that the only chance to get an Open Space region is to purchase an existing one from a private owner on the grid. A more clear answer would have been: 'no it's LL policy to not bring back Open Space to the land store'. But this was not stated in the JIRA, so we can only guess.

So my question here is: what can I do to determine whether LL will make them available again or not?

Second question: why were Open Space regions removed from the store in the first place?

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

Can you buy a region from LL yet without manual intervention from support? If not, that's probably why.

Buying a region has to be integrated with AWS provisioning. When a user orders a region, Linden Lab has to rent another server from Amazon Web Services, load it up, and link it into the grid. That's all automated on the Amazon side, but probably not, yet, on the LL side. If that isn't working yet, selling a sim is labor intensive.

1 hour ago, animats said:

Can you buy a region from LL yet without manual intervention from support? If not, that's probably why.

Buying a region has to be integrated with AWS provisioning. When a user orders a region, Linden Lab has to rent another server from Amazon Web Services, load it up, and link it into the grid. That's all automated on the Amazon side, but probably not, yet, on the LL side. If that isn't working yet, selling a sim is labor intensive.

it;s about Open Space Regions, those are since some years not longer a product sold by LL, but people can buy those when another resident sells it.

21 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

[...] so we can only guess.

So my question here is: what can I do to determine whether LL will make them available again or not?

Second question: why were Open Space regions removed from the store in the first place?

Seems unlikely anybody at a Concierge & Land user group would be willing to expound on the subject, but apparently there's one next Wednesday (2021-04-28) if someone wants to try.

Maybe @Patch Linden would send somebody to this thread to keep us from wild speculation. E.g., the rumours that a Premium Plus subscription will come with a free OpenSpace. Or that the great revelations at SL18B will include OpenSpace Everywhere™ technology, so every resident can venture across the grid with a sim following them into the void wherever they may roam.

(Don't ya think they'll be re-imagining all region-scale product offerings on the cloud? That might explain reluctance to mint more OpenSpaces—especially if the low end of Homestead has unmet demand.)

• Like 5

• Administrators

I have said in several various venues that we will sell someone an Openspace.... because why not?   We removed Openspaces from the land store because we had every intent of discontinuing them to streamline the product offering.   They are not popular, and at one point there were less than 100 of them on the grid when we made the decision, we don't typically use them internally.   If you want one, you will need to contact support to order it manually and the Full region ownership pre-requisite applies. 

Openspaces will not be offered as part of a Premium account benefit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 11

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 1:27 PM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

my friend had talked to Support, and they said that the only chance to get an Open Space region is to purchase an existing one from a private owner on the grid.

Maybe I should have mentioned that this went through live chat support. But after Patch' statement above, another live chat supporter was able to help out and suggested to submit a written, full-detail support ticked with region name and coordinates.

Happy to announce now that we got 3. In the piccie below, one in the foreground, with a 20k region left and 30k region right in the background.

1974920382_OpenSpaceSimGooseberryMarsh.thumb.png.d997f4c35772b573636d2779a909263f.png

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2021 at 12:08 PM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Maybe I should have mentioned that this went through live chat support. But after Patch' statement above, another live chat supporter was able to help out and suggested to submit a written, full-detail support ticked with region name and coordinates.

Happy to announce now that we got 3. In the piccie below, one in the foreground, with a 20k region left and 30k region right in the background.

1974920382_OpenSpaceSimGooseberryMarsh.thumb.png.d997f4c35772b573636d2779a909263f.png

How much are they a month because I like the option of this..

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 11:10 AM, Patch Linden said:

I have said in several various venues that we will sell someone an Openspace.... because why not?   We removed Openspaces from the land store because we had every intent of discontinuing them to streamline the product offering.   They are not popular, and at one point there were less than 100 of them on the grid when we made the decision, we don't typically use them internally.   If you want one, you will need to contact support to order it manually and the Full region ownership pre-requisite applies. 

Openspaces will not be offered as part of a Premium account benefit.

Originally, the Lindens had people purchase Homesteads instead of Openspace (void) sims because the void sims were abused by putting too many avatars and scripts on them.

People would take an Openspace region that was intended to be literally open space, i.e. water or a park, and put 16 rentals on it, creating performance and customer service headaches for Lindens. I'm not sure if there was a formal policy to stop selling them except to the giant land barons of the 100-region type, and the move to homesteads -- but today, even homesteads are abused with 16 rentals put on them.

• Sad 1

On 6/30/2021 at 6:49 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

Originally, the Lindens had people purchase Homesteads instead of Openspace (void) sims because the void sims were abused by putting too many avatars and scripts on them.

People would take an Openspace region that was intended to be literally open space, i.e. water or a park, and put 16 rentals on it, creating performance and customer service headaches for Lindens. I'm not sure if there was a formal policy to stop selling them except to the giant land barons of the 100-region type, and the move to homesteads -- but today, even homesteads are abused with 16 rentals put on them.

I remember this because I rented a homestead for a number of years.  I recently purchased a grandfathered full sim and was wanting a second one attached for a project I have in mind for our own personal use.  However for 60 bucks a month I get 1000 prims, where as a grandfathered homestead is 95 dollars a month for 3000 prims.  Better deal is to buy  the homestead at this point in time.

Edited by Aria Aurelia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.