Deploy Plan for the Week of 2021-04-19

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1094 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server:

No rolls are currently planned for the SLS channel this week.

Second Life RC:

No rolls are currently planned for the RC channels this week.

On Region Restarts:

All regions currently have a low uptime due to last week's restarts, so we don't anticipate any restarts designed to keep the simulators fresh.

• Thanks 4

17 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

No! Let me enjoy the peace and quiet for just a little longer!

I´m absolutly with you 😉 . Good that Firestone is having the possibility to enable group chats so i can do my work on our regions without getting disturbed by group chats i dont need. 

Edited by Miller Thor
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, NeoBokrug Elytis said:

Is it me, or is a region restart roll going actively on -- today Friday the 23rd?

I don't think it is restarts -- the regions are crashing. In the last 30 minutes I have had 2 of them crash immediately after entering them in a boat. The logout message says "the region is going down", but since they come back up within 2 or 3 minutes that means they didn't go down, they crashed.

If these are crashes then my region Woods of Heaven crashed twice tonight (on neither occasion was I on the region though I WAS online) and as is said above it came back very quickly, though restarts are much faster now than they used to be.  I don't think such widespread region crashing is very likely unless AWS are having some issues.

One way or another it warrants some notice on the GSP, though the silence there (apart from the useless automatic RC roll notice) is not unusual.

6 hours ago, M Peccable said:

I don't think it is restarts -- the regions are crashing. In the last 30 minutes I have had 2 of them crash immediately after entering them in a boat. The logout message says "the region is going down", but since they come back up within 2 or 3 minutes that means they didn't go down, they crashed.

Hmm, I don't know.  Most of the logs I have show regions going from Up to Stopping, which means a graceful shutdown usually.

Normal dayli maintenance restarts generally don't last as long as they used to. We used to have time for 2 large cups of coffee and a jam sandwich after we had restarted our regions. Today, the regions are back faster than we have drunk a cup. Linden has probably made very good adjustments and the new hardware probably shows what is possible as well. Linden would only have to use it.

Edited by Miller Thor
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Can't say I've ever seen "the region is going down" message in all my time here.  Is that a LL viewer thing?

I have experienced that a couple of times, though not recently and when on FS, not the LL viewer. I believe now the region sends a different pre-restart message set and prevents an avatar from entering a region (or logging into one) for the last minute prior to restart.

All that said, I'd still like to know what was going on last night.

When I looked at the world map (which seems to be working well, now) I saw several other regions offline, so I don't think these were self-instigated region restarts.

Edited by Aishagain
Additional info

Ok so now we have RC channel rolls scheduled for both Wednesday AND Tuesday, the day normally reserved for Main Channels rolls (obviously there would be none since there is nothing to promote) but in light of last night's odd restarts/region crashes (I don't know which but I suspect the former), some explantion from The Lab would be nice.

I wonder what was being "Banged On"?

Just a wild thought:  These "restart/crashes" we've been seeing; they're not LL's work but some techs at AWS working on the servers without LL's knowledge!  Now THAT would be a bit dodgy for us, wouldn't it?

Edited by Aishagain

If you get the yellow box warning of a restart, it's not a crash.

A screenshot of "the region is going down" would be useful.  Crashes usually just happen, often with your screen going to black and white first. A short restart of 1 to 2 mins is typical now, if it is just a normal server refresh.

Also some Linden owned regions restart on Friday's.  Linden Realms and PaleoQuest games for instance.  Sometimes with a 60 sec warning and some with 240 second warning.  They all restarted on April 23.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

It wasn't a yellow box restart. It was: Enter the sim, then get logged out quite abruptly in about 5 seconds. The gray box asking if you want to Quit or View Chat says I've been logged out because "the region is going down".

I just crashed another sim, entering with the same boat as yesterday (Bandit 170). This time it was in the Blake Sea area: Albach.  Took almost 5 minutes for it to come back this time.

13 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

I indirectly monitor almost 1000 regions and many were showing "stopping" status throughout yesterday and even today.

That is not normal for even Linden-owned regions.  There was/is something else going on and that is not paranioa speaking (though it is fit and well and I am on good terms with it).

I am wondering if the affected regions were on the RC channels, because the Status page does show them getting restarts. It's a little odd, because some are happening on the 27th, Tuesday, and there is a routine-style message for the 28th, Wednesday.

Maybe you can keep track of whether a particular region is RC or not if you pay attention to the sim version it is running, and make a note, but it's not so good n answer.

The Linden Mushroom Farm must be very successful.

2 hours ago, arabellajones said:

I am wondering if the affected regions were on the RC channels,

I had parcel restart messages from both RC and main server  parcels across the weekend, so no, it seems to have been anything.

As to cause, nobody's mentioned the grid-poking-bot, if that were to have lost track of the time it could possibly have been the reason?

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

9 hours ago, arabellajones said:

I am wondering if the affected regions were on the RC channels

No, at the least, not all.  My region, Woods of Heaven is definitely Main Server and it restarted twice last Friday.  The possibility of the Grid-Poking Bot running amok on the Grid would surely have prompted SOME kind of comment from the Lindens.

The re-emergence of the Linden Cone of Silence over this admittedly apparently minor matter suggests that Oz Linden's policy of improved communication did not last long after his departure. 😕

Edited by Aishagain
clarification

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1094 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.