Unique Rental Suggestions...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I recently sold my mainland...  I'm searching to rent something unique that has a nice community, low lag, no skyboxes.  It seems all I find are the city sims or nature/beach sims.  I love the desert Mother Road sim but it's always full.   I would love to find something either desert, exotic places with landscaping (ex: Italy, Japan, Morocco), I'm just dying for a change of scenery.

What are some great suggestions you have for something different???

11 hours ago, Cordelia Barrowstone said:

What are some great suggestions you have for something different???

If English countryside and small town is interesting, take a look at my Greater Coniston build. Region names: Coniston, Keswick, Buttermere, Windermere and Langdale.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

where are the days it was considered "not done"  to promote own projects, and depended on reccommendations by others... the open sections change more and more in advertising spots.  :)

If you want to do business in SL, the first thing you do is stay away from the forums. Even reading and replying to a post as short as this takes far more time and effort than it can possibly be worth from a commercial point of view.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sister Nova said:

Don't forget friendly little Becca there too! I always respond to her greeting :P 

Aww, poor Becca, she always gets lost and ends up in Coniston. (For those who are confused, Becca is an animesh NPC animats is testing at Port Langdale. She doesn't handle sim crossing very well yet and there's one right across that port).

• Like 3

On 4/21/2021 at 9:38 AM, ChinRey said:

Aww, poor Becca, she always gets lost and ends up in Coniston. (For those who are confused, Becca is an animesh NPC animats is testing at Port Langdale. She doesn't handle sim crossing very well yet and there's one right across that port).

5 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

"C'mon, Becca.  I know you've got access to the rental office.  Just wait for your boss to go on her lunch break, pocket the keys to the boat, and we can take it for a joy ride!  C'mon!"

Becca_001.thumb.png.993e9a3ba522118fca3b7605f04a253f.png

I wasn’t aware that Becca got lost, but I know she does go very near the region border as shown in Rabid’s picture here. The picture also demonstrates how well she copes with the waterside. I see her walking by the dock but have never seen her fall in... I do hope that’s not a problem she encounters.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sister Nova said:

I see her walking by the dock but have never seen her fall in... I do hope that’s not a problem she encounters.

She hasn't as far as I know. I think water areas are off limit for pathfinding characters so that shouldn't be a problem.

But we're guilty of threadjacking here. We really ought to talk about @animats's NPCs. He's doing a fantastic job making animesh characters light enough to actually be useable in SL and they have a great potential to add more life to SL. But maybe not in this thread.

So, back to the topic and also a better reply to @Alwin Alcott's very legitimate objection.

I do feel a bit bad when I mention my own works or my own place on the forums but when people specifically ask for something like that, I really want to help. Most of the time I end up not replying but sometimes I do. It really isn't about marketing. Maybe you get one more tenant or one more sale for every 50 such post and that's not going to make any difference worth mentioning to the revenue.

There are lots of people in SL who want a virtual reality less dull than Bellisseria, less lonely than a skybox or an isolated island, less messy than the generic mainland and more elaborate and conistent than either. There are plenty of such places in SL with a wide enough variety there shuold be something for everybody's taste. But how do you find them?

Most of these places are created and maintained by fairly small landowners who made them for the love of creating something special. There's no money in it. We do want tenants of course, partly to cover a little bit of the bloated tier LL shamelessy charges us but even more because empty houses are sad houses. Unfortunately SL is so focused on favoring the big established commercial actors. All those small not-really-commercial initiative are all but invisible. It is of course even worse now after LL decided to use their monopoly as service provider to squeeze all independent landowners but it was bad enough before.

---

I have to admit that if I had known enough about SL back in 2013 to realise how much an uphill struggle it would be to create something like Greater Coniston. I would't have done it. And it hurts to think about how many dollars and work hours I've poured into the project over the years - tens of thousands of each. It really isn't worth it. For me it's water under the bridge of course, the damage has been done. But to anybody who may plan something similar, the only advice I can give is: Don't!

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As someone who tried to do something similar, with unobstructed sunrise and moonset views at the edge-of-the-world in unfinished Gaeta, I'd have to agree.  Do it for the fun of it, not for the sake of making money.  It's not worth it, financially.  If you just focus on having fun for your own sake, you'll enjoy this game so much more than the folks who try to turn it into a job.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

If you just focus on having fun for your own sake, you'll enjoy this game so much more than the folks who try to turn it into a job.

I was going to write a long complaint here because I can't honestly say I've enjoyed it for years now, logging on to SL is downright painful. The only reason I'm still going on is that I feel I have a responsibility towards the people who have shown and still show appreciation for what I've been trying to do.

But maybe it's better to try to be constructive. I know exactly what I need. I know exactly what everybody who are looking for a virtual home different from the regular cookie cutter ones need and what the people who offer such homes need. We need a way to find each other. Unfortunately that doesn't exist. The destination guide is a joke. Inworld search doesn't really work nor do MP listings. This is a general problem with SL btw, it's not just rentals. There are so many hidden treasures of all kinds there but they are so well hidden.

Take a look at this thread. It has ended up with a focus almost entirely on "old classic" LL builds and that's definitely not something everybody's cup of tea. But it is somebody's. Did you know about all those places? I sure didn't and I thought I knew Mainland. There could easily have been dozens of similar threads focusing on different other themes for users with other interests.

What we need for rentals, is an online searchable database. Got to the website and select the key phrases that fit, such as "mediterrean theme", "family friendly", "connected to Linden Road system", "Sailable waters", "Role play allowed" etc., etc., etc.

Somebody would have to develop and maintain it though. That's not a small task and it would require a reasonably good knowledge of database management, search functionality, web design and UI design. It's not something anybody directly involved in rentals should do and it's not something Linden Lab themselves would be interested in. (They couldn't do it even if they wanted to anyway, those knowledge requirements I listed are all field where they are really short on in-house expertise.)

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I was going to write a long complaint here because I can't honestly say I've enjoyed it for years now, logging on to SL is downright painful. The only reason I'm still going on is that I feel I have a responsibility towards the people who have shown and still show appreciation for what I've been trying to do.

But maybe it's better to try to be constructive. I know exactly what I need. I know exactly what everybody who are looking for a virtual home different from the regular cookie cutter ones need and what the people who offer such homes need. We need a way to find each other. Unfortunately that doesn't exist. The destination guide is a joke. Inworld search doesn't really work nor do MP listings. This is a general problem with SL btw, it's not just rentals. There are so many hidden treasures of all kinds there but they are so well hidden.

Take a look at this thread. It has ended up with a focus almost entirely on "old classic" LL builds and that's definitely not something everybody's cup of tea. But it is somebody's. Did you know about all those places? I sure didn't and I thought I knew Mainland. There could easily have been dozens of simialr threads focusing on different other themes for users with other interests.

What we need for rentals, is an online searchable database. Got to the website and select the key phrases that fit, such as "mediterrean theme", "family friendly", "connected to Linden Road system", "Sailable waters", "Role play allowed" etc., etc., etc.

Somebody would have to develop and maintain it though. That's not a small task and it would require a reasonably good knowledge of database management, search functionality, web design and UI design. It's not something anybody directly involved in rentals should do and it's not something Linden Lab themselves would be interested in. (They couldn't do it even if they wanted to anyway, those knowledge requirements I listed are all field where they are really short on in-house expertise.)

Was gonna say "you should see the 'WTH-is' thread", but you mentioned it.  I LOVE those explorations.

I used to despise SL, back when I focused on making money.  It didn't feel like a game, or anything fun;  It felt like a job.  A job that was very low-pay.  A job that didn't pay at all.  So I re-evaluated why I was playing SL.  What originally drew me to it?  Wasn't it to have fun?

So that's my focus these days.  Belliseria got me back into SL.  So did exploring.

I suppose if someone had the time and patience for it, a database and more robust search would be a great idea.  But that's a lot of work.  In lieu of that, there are threads like this one, asking for specific recommendations and word-of-mouth endorsements.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.