Car physics is sometimes disabled. Did you change any specifications?

MizukiOrihara2019

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, thank you as always kindness.
I'm ... rather, my friends are in trouble,
When no operation is performed (when no keyboard button etc. is pressed), the physics of the car becomes invalid.
My friend complains.
I also experimented, but in the old days it was a slope that slowly slipped down, and now it is stationary. The plane slides down the slope with physics still in effect.
It seems that the physics of the car is effective for a while after operating with the keyboard.
"I haven't designed it to behave like this." "Is there any change in the SIM specifications?" It seems that my friends are thinking that way. 

On the same surface?

You can adjust the friction of a surface. If you turn it up high, things will not slide, and if you set it to a low value, they will.

Go to a sandbox, rez a cube, make it road width and long, and tilt it a bit. Experiment with driving on that. Change the friction value for the cube and see what happens.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MizukiOrihara2019 said:

Previously, the exact same car slipped down the slope.
For a short time with the keyboard, physics is enabled and slides down as well.
A short time after you take your hand off the keyboard, it will rest on the slope where it should slip.
The behavior changed even though I didn't change the program.

Assuming you do not change physics based on controls, I would examine the values of VEHICLE_LINEAR_FRICTION_TIMESCALE. Without seeing the script on how you operate the vehicle, it is hard to pinpoint exactly, what causes it, but vehicle parameters settings effect each other.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MizukiOrihara2019 said:

For a short time with the keyboard, physics is enabled and slides down as well.
A short time after you take your hand off the keyboard, it will rest on the slope where it should slip.

The only changes I can think of that might cause this are the re-organisation of event handling that has taken place over the past year and a bit to try and alleviate the low percentage of scripts run and the wasted time caused by idle scripts. Your point that keyboard intervention starts the vehicle moving as you expect but then the lack of further keyboard events might be  clue here?

Can you pinpoint when in time the car was last behaving as you expected and when you first noticed that it now didn't?

There have been some oddities noted recently involving physics and possibly frictional effects, see https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/468917-odd-physics-problem-physical-ball-spins-in-place-on-some-surfaces/

Although some of these might indeed have been in existence for ever, others might be associated with the Havoc engine, I can't remember when they focused on that or what upgrades/releases have occurred over the past few years.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.