Building Bellisseria Slide Show by Abnor Mole

PrudenceAnton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Fabulous!  I just saw it late last night, and want to show it to my partner, who's been too busy RL for SL.

You know what was also great?  Last year you had some of the early versions of trads and houseboats.  Those were really cool to see...

Now that the map's back, I've been trying to figure out how the chalets were pieced together.  I see repetitions of sets of 1, 2, or 3 regions, sometimes flipped horizontally, but I haven't been able to easily see bigger 'tiles'.  The big waterway down the middle may be breaking up larger 'tiles', or maybe the edges of individual regions are more uniform, so that the subcontinent could be easily assembled using smaller building blocks? Puzzlement!

• Like 2

That's great. I watched the whole thing at the fairground event, it was great to see the updates added since last year. I hope it gets updated next year too. Bellisseria should be all finished by then I think?

Out of curiosity, and @Abnor Mole may be able to answer this question, how does the size of Bellisseria compare with the size of the old style Linden Homes "continents"? In terms of number of regions and number of parcels? And how long did it take to finish creating the old ones?

• Like 3

Thank you so much @Abnor Molefor this wonderful glimpse into the thinking and planning, the "oops" and the "wows" of this wonderful continent. I loved the presentation not only for the content, but for the way the story is told: for letting us in behind the scenes and in a way that is very personal. I almost felt as though I present at some of the planning sessions. Best of all, the good humor and levity is palatable. 💗

• Like 2

• Moles
18 hours ago, Maitimo said:

That's great. I watched the whole thing at the fairground event, it was great to see the updates added since last year. I hope it gets updated next year too. Bellisseria should be all finished by then I think?

Out of curiosity, and @Abnor Mole may be able to answer this question, how does the size of Bellisseria compare with the size of the old style Linden Homes "continents"? In terms of number of regions and number of parcels? And how long did it take to finish creating the old ones?

I don't really recall exactly how long it took to build the original Linden Homes. I know it was a long time. I'm not sure of the exact numbers presently. In terms of houses/regions though it is about twice as many homes per region in the old LH, which make sense since the parcels are about half the size. But it didn't have the same level of infrastructure either.  You couldn't change your house style. There weren't really any significant pathways for exploring. When demand exceeded supply the entire thing was just quickly cloned. All of which I feel contributed to the most important thing Bellisseria has that the original Linden Homes always lacked... a genuine sense of community. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Out of curiosity, and @Abnor Mole may be able to answer this question, how does the size of Bellisseria compare with the size of the old style Linden Homes "continents"? In terms of number of regions and number of parcels?

In an interview with Patch, back when Bellisseria was first released, Patch said there were "over 38,000 old Linden Homes".  I don't know that anyone has said how many 'regions' they are on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/19/2021 at 4:05 PM, Maitimo said:

how does the size of Bellisseria compare with the size of the old style Linden Homes "continents"? In terms of number of regions and number of parcels?

I suppose we could try to approximate.  There are about 22 1024m2 parcels per Belli region.  So if Abnor's estimate of roughly twice as many homes/region in the old LH areas holds,  that would mean there would be about 40/region of the old LHs.  For the sake of arithmetic, let's call it 38 homes/residential region.  38,000/38 = 1000 residential regions.  That does not include the non-residential recreational regions that have rivers running through them, but let's just count residential regions. 

I don't know how many Belli fully residential regions have been released, but 10,000 total Belli homes were released in 2019 alone - let's call that about 400 regions (remembering that some of those were campers, which have higher density).  This year, the Log Home initial release was over 230 regions all by its lonesome, which did not include ANY of the coastal or riverbank regions.  The Stilts/Houseboats release was about 205 regions.  And there have been LOTS of individual regions released one by one, like the entire border between VictoriBelle and LogLand.  So, very roughly, I think Belli's near 1000 regions now.  Probably a little more, with the Chalets.

We have to remember that even after LL releases the last of the Belli themes, they may continue to build and release more of the earlier themes.  The market for houseboats appears inexhaustible lol, and for sure more Trads and Vics would be greeted with glee.

At this point, if LL wanted to eventually close the old LH regions, it appears that the really tough part will not be providing an adequate number of homes (I imagine that the old LH regions are running around 50% occupancy now, and dropping?), but devising a migration strategy that won't cause infinite hand-wringing.   I suppose we shouldn't think any such migration is in the works until/unless all Belli themes are easily available on the land page, and LL stops allowing new claims of the older styles.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

I suppose we shouldn't think any such migration is in the works until/unless all Belli themes are easily available on the land page, and LL stops allowing new claims of the older styles.

I'm not sure they'll have to have all themes easily available as long as most are.  I'm not sure they'll ever hit a point where Houseboats and Stilts on Water/Pier are consistently available.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2021 at 1:17 PM, PrudenceAnton said:

Because you asked, you got it!

@Abnor Mole kindly put up a permanent Slide Show of his
'Building Bellisseria' at the request of many residents.

You can go see it anytime now at this location below.
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Puffin Head/41/101/27

Building Bellisseria

Thanks so much, @Abnor Moleand Pru! I enjoyed last year's presentation,  but I hadn't viewed this year"s.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.