Attaching to top?

JasminaDayspring

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1074 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've never in all my years of using SL have I ever experienced having parts say "worn on top) when it should be attached to where it's suppose to. Bento head is suppose to be attached to skull but attaches to top, for example. I keep having to reattach them to the proper point but it keeps resetting, attaching to top and leaving those parts hidden from everyone but myself. It's so bloody frustrating. You can see what I mean in the attached image of my avatar and inventory. It should not be doing this yet it continues to do so no matter how many times I fix the attachment points.

Any ideas of what might be the issue? I am currently replacing those offending parts with new ones...but I'm afraid this will happen yet again and i don't understand why it's even doing it in the first place.

I am using the newest updated version of firestorm, so unless others have been experiencing similar issues, it's not my viewer.

EDIT: It did it again but upon thinking...the folder name could be the issue (odd yes), so I changed the folder name...and it seems to be working. We'll see. It might be a bug someone needs to fix somewhere. 

Thanks!

Jas

7120d333cc1af3b9387062b4f36ee9b8.jpg

97866e17466c504d74a7329b1beeae0d.jpg

Edited by JasminaDayspring
added information
  • Thanks 1

3 answers to this question

A creator can include a script to do all sorts of helpful things with an attachment  -- change color, resize, change texture ... and designate a specific attachment point.  That last possibility might be there if the creator wants to be sure that a mesh head always attaches to your skull, for example, because it's easier to guarantee that it it will fit regardless of how tall you are. Or the creator might designate a specific attachment point for no good reason at all, which might be the case with your attachments.  In any case, the script will follow its instructions as soon as you attach the object, overriding any manual adjustment you may have tried to make yourself.  There's no way to beat it except to remove the script. The script is probably there to do many other things, though, so removing it is risky.

@JasminaDayspring - For items that are 'rigged', they do not have to be attached to the "proper" body location, but they do need to be attached to at least some part of the body rather than to a HUD location.  Also, it is best to only have multiple items on any given spot if all spots are used - and then minimize the number per spot as much as possible.  

For this issue you will need to contact the creator, because, as Rolig mentioned, some script inside the item is overriding your attachment location.  When contacting the creator, note that per your inventory the Ears and Cheek Fluff and Tail Fluff parts are doing the same thing.  

You may be getting bitten by and oddity of SL. If you change an item you are wearing and then log off or crash the changes you made often fail to stick.

Prim attribute changes have to be transmitted back to the Asset Database. With worn objects those changes are delayed. There is some window of time in which changes are accumulated and at some point are supposed to be sent to the asset servers. I suppose this is to reduce load on the asset servers as I go different lipsticks deciding on a look... whatever... if you change a worn item and then leave SL or crash or change regions those updates never seem to make it to the asset server. Theoretically that should not happen. My experience is it does happen.

I make changes to makeup and clothes using what I think of as my original copies of whatever item. I take the changed item off. Put a copy of it in folder within the items main folder named something that clues me to the change, e.g., Blue. Then wear the new copy which eventually is the item saved as part of the outfit. This 'detach' forces the changes into the asset database. The 'copy' grabs a copy of the newly changed item. So now the change is in two places.

When I buy stuff the first thing I do is check the attachment point. I find it is often the default right-hand. I change it to a more appropriate point and take the item off. This copy usually becomes my working copy and I make another for backup. But, the detach forces the asset update. Doing the change when I first start using it makes sure all the later copies in my inventory have the change and I avoid getting a copy with the wrong attachment point. Which is a common problem when one uses links and outfits.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1074 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.