Group Chat Oddity

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know that group chat can be problematic but has anyone come across it where some people cannot contribute to, or receive, group chat while others can?

It's been happening for a couple of days now. I've checked the roles and abilities and everything is set ok.

I'm wondering if it's something that's known to happen.

I'm not sure about not being allowed to send chat, but the registration for receiving group chat can be weird.  It seems like you're only registered if you open it for a group manually, or were allowed to receive it when you log in.  So it seems like you don't receive it if you just joined and haven't either opened it manually or relogged.  I've also still been registered and received chat after leaving a group, before relogging.

Thank you for your reply, @Sayrah Parx

I am an officer in the group, not new to it. The person who asked me about the problem, has been initiating group chat every day for some time - a good morning message. As of yesterday, neither of us can start a group chat or receive it. Another person in the group can still send and receive.

While looking into it, I did see that there is an ability to moderate group chat. Is it possible for someone who has that ability to ban others from group chat? And, if so, where would a list of those who are banned be?

13 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Is it possible for someone who has that ability to ban others from group chat? And, if so, where would a list of those who are banned be?

on the Group dialog, is on  Roles & Members page. Banned Residents tab

Thank you @Mollymews

In Alchemy, it's somewhere else but I found it. That holds a list of avatars that are banned from the group. I was wondering if a group chat moderator can ban/suspend a group member from using group chat. If they can't, I wonder what the ability to moderate group chat can do. I'm trying to find a reason why 2 of us, who are still group members, can no longer use group chat, while other members can use it. I'm also wondering if it's something that is known to have happened before.

Edited by Phil Deakins

the group chat is just borky. Has been doing this for a long time. Sometimes it goes great, sometimes it doesn't go at all. And as you notice sometimes it goes for some people in the group and not others. Then sometimes we all change round. The not going good people are now going good, and the once going good people are not going good anymore

linden have been beavering away applying patches for years. But from what I understand the actual fix is to write a whole new chat server system. Which I don't think Linden have committed to doing yet, altho it slips out now and then at the User groups that there has been a lot of conversation going on within Linden about this. Just conversation tho I think

12 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I was wondering if a group chat moderator can ban/suspend a group member from using group chat. If they can't, I wonder what the ability to moderate group chat can do.

It is possible I think you can block text input from a user if you are moderator. They can still see chat but can't write.

But I think your problem related with chat problem.. I can see chat messages but my friend can't see.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 4:12 AM, Phil Deakins said:

Thank you @Mollymews

So what we're experiencing isn't something new. That's what I wanted to know. Thank you.

Presumably, it's just a case of waiting it out.

If you scan for the various threads discussing the current group chat issues, you'll find that there are some folks that haven't been able to see or post anything in some groups for many days.  Skell is actually a moderator for the CATWA group and he noted that he is having that issue in that group.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all. I am content that it isn't caused by anything that anyone has done (not a changed setting), and that it's just a case of sitting it out. Or rather, it was a case of sitting it out because I've just tested it and I can post in the group chat again. I imagine that I can also receive now, although I didn't get any responses from my post, but I didn't wait very long.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.