What is my shape and how do I get shoes to fit?

Karyzma Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I became an SL member in 2007. Outside of some random visits over the years, I really have been out for so long that I don't remember what style my shape is, and it seems that things like shoes are not fitting. My foot size is a 0 (cuz apparently I am now Amazonian size compared to everyone else - but I love my shape), and none of my shoe alphas are working properly. None of the new shoes I picked up are lifting the heel. And in the pictured example, when I put on any alpha in these shoes, my feet are disappearing.

I assume I am a legacy shape, but even answers for that are not correcting this issue. If anyone can help me wear shoes/heels/boots normally, I would be forever grateful.

SL - shoe fitting.png

Greetings Kary,

from your picture it looks like you are using your original avatar from when you signed up for your account, ( that means that none of the new products are going to work for you ). i'm going to suggest that you check out some updated information about mesh bodies and heads.

https://ryanschultz.com/2018/09/24/second-life-steals-deals-and-freebies-free-mesh-heads-and-bodies-for-female-second-life-avatars/

https://fabfree.wordpress.com/the-fabfree-mesh-body-and-head-listing/

this is a place to start and i'm sure others will have lots more to assist you. all i can say is take your time its a learning curve to be sure.

Best Regards,

Josephine

3 hours ago, Karyzma Nightfire said:

assume I am a legacy shape, but even answers for that are not correcting this issue. If anyone can help me wear shoes/heels/boots normally, I would be forever grateful.

Legacy now refers to a mesh body brand.  There is the Legacy, Maitreya, Belleza, Slink and a few other mesh bodies available.  A mesh body covers up/replaces your original system body.

Because you have been intermittently around for a long time you have probably missed the cycle of innovation happening over that time. It can be said just now things are returning to the cycle start.

When you were first here (2007) you were leaning how to use makeup, skin, tats, and similar stuff as System Layers. Now SL is returning to the use of System Layers for those things.

Bodies and heads existed as parts of the viewer in 2007. We were limited to bodies and heads made by Linden Lab and programmed into the viewer. We could tweak the appearance but we could not add new bodies or heads. Eventually the Lab added a prim we call mesh. Users can edit the polygons of a prim-mesh object. Something we could not do before. We gained the ability to add bodies and body parts in infinite verity.

Designers used the new capability to make clothes and with more additions from the Lab designers started making mesh bodies and then heads. Like clothes these new bodies and heads cover the Classic (aka system) avatar. But, the new bodies and heads do not have to be built into the viewer. They are items users can add to the Asset System and anyone can use them. We are not limited by or delayed by the Lab's development cycle.

Prior to what we call Bakes on Mesh (BOM) we depended on Appliers to add skin, tats, etc. You have missed all but the tail end of Applier tech. It is still useful and will be around forever, but it is not something that will block your use of SL as it would have a few months ago. You can deal with understanding it later.

But, now you have this array of things in the SL marketplace to confuse what you need and have to learn how to use. If you by Classic-OK and/or BOM-ready while avoiding appliers you can deal with things in ways you are more familiar with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

At least their self-absorbed attempt to claim "meshbody" as a brand name... yeah, what exactly? ... was laid to rest or something. Or are they still contacting bloggers?

It was confusing for me before I knew TMP came out with the new Legacy line.  I was seeing Legacy sizes and wondered what the heck that was for.  The system 'legacy' body?  The whole meshbody thing was just silly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

At least their self-absorbed attempt to claim "meshbody" as a brand name... yeah, what exactly? ... was laid to rest or something. Or are they still contacting bloggers?

I did get notecarded from one of their accounts for using TMP in relation to Legacy and Classic on here. They have an account or something that goes around monitoring for the use of TMP/The Mesh Project when mentioning Legacy and/or Classic. The brand do not like nor do they want any association with TMP even though they trade from their property. However i feel the need to use the TMP preface as Legacy and Classic are all too easily confused with and used to describe the system body especially amongst residents who may be returning from years away

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I did get notecarded from one of their accounts for using TMP in relation to Legacy and Classic on here. They have an account or something that goes around monitoring for the use of TMP/The Mesh Project when mentioning Legacy and/or Classic. The brand do not like nor do they want any association with TMP even though they trade from their property. However i feel the need to use the TMP preface as Legacy and Classic are all too easily confused with and used to describe the system body especially amongst residents who may be returning from years away

I, too, still call them TMP to distinguish their labels from the classic system bodies.  As far as I'm concerned, they don't get to protest when they outright usurped these traditional terms causing so much confusion like you said. Let them stay mad.

• Like 3

Back to the subject of shoes...

On 4/17/2021 at 11:52 PM, Karyzma Nightfire said:

I became an SL member in 2007. Outside of some random visits over the years, I really have been out for so long that I don't remember what style my shape is, and it seems that things like shoes are not fitting. My foot size is a 0 (cuz apparently I am now Amazonian size compared to everyone else - but I love my shape), and none of my shoe alphas are working properly. None of the new shoes I picked up are lifting the heel. And in the pictured example, when I put on any alpha in these shoes, my feet are disappearing.

You need to look for shoes made for the original classic avatar, which means ones that do NOT list that they are made for Slink/Maitreya/Belleza. Most of them will fall into two types:

• Boots that cover the entire foot
  • Strappy shoes with a sculpted foot included. This will usually have a method of tinting the foot to match your skin.

There is no way to lift the heel on the classic foot, you can only stretch it, but it will always reach all the way to the ground. In order to wear high heels, you must make the foot invisible.

In both cases the pack will include a foot-shaper and an alpha mask layer. You must wear both for the shoes to work. Some VERY old shoes have an "invisiprim" instead of an alpha mask layer. These don't work any more, but if you have an alpha mask layer from another pair of shoes you can use that instead.

Also your foot size needs to be 0 not because you're Amazonian, but because classic shoes were made to be worn on size 0 feet - it was the only way to get them to fit. Everyone needed size 0 feet, regardless of the size of the rest of them. Nowadays, shoes are made to a slightly more reasonable size 25 but that's still too small for me (I'm Amazonian too).

Best way to find shoes that will fit you is to search the shoes category on the Marketplace using either "sculpted" or "unrigged" as your keyword. "unrigged" will bring up newer mesh shoes that are made for the classic avatar (similar to the ones included with the current starter avatars, which will also fit you).

Edited by Maitimo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.