Second Life on Steam?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was wondering since Sansar was released on Steam. Would there be any chance, on second life making this swap to as well? I think it'd be better for both advertisement on this old game seeing it on steams main mage, and would perhaps give Second life greater feedback on how to improve SL. I guess there would be other perks to,

Benefits

- Advertisement on Steams Homepage for SL events & sales.

- Show friends on Steam that you play Second life.

- Shows on Discord as well, being a game registered through steam.

- More diverse feedback. Meaning you can prioritize what to fix on SL to attract more players. .

- Automatic Updates.

Negatives

- Steams % cut, for all sales being sold through Steam. Though I'd say Steam is more fair then Tilia.

-   

Edited by Rob Huntsman
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

If doable, I really don't see a downside to this. As you said, through friends lists and Discord statuses, this would help SL be more findable and recognizable to the broader general gaming community. Could also court a lot of people as SL would fall into the "Free to Play" category. 

Edited by stlshayne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Talon Brown said:

This was supposed to be a thing years ago but never happened presumably because Steam wants a cut of every virtual currency sale and LL isn't about to give anyone a cut of their Linden$ sales.

You know, I was thinking about this. Until Tilia comes around with their 5 dollar cashing out over nothing. I really think if they went with steam if anything would help their company at this point.

Edited by Rob Huntsman
  • Haha 2

That ship sailed some time ago. While Valve is a fair bit more lenient these days where Adult Content is concerned, Second Life does not need to be on Steam. Not directly at any rate.

Discord allows for the custom addition of programs and such for display as a Status and can make use of other data (Rich Presence I believe it is called) on top of this. Knock that "benefit" off of the list.

Steam allows you to add "Non-Steam Games" to your Library for launch through their system - this will show up in your Status in their system. There's another "benefit" to knock off of the list.

The default Linden Lab Viewer already does Automatic Updates and many TPVs opted against doing such thanks to backlash on that process (in part). This is not even taking into consideration the headache that TPVs would add into the mix for that particular system. Another "benefit" gone.

0 for 3 so far on that.

As far as appealing to the "broader gaming community" ... No. Just no. There's been enough problems in the past with that and do face it: Any Steam entry would be absolutely flooded with negative reviews from people who could not be bothered to do much more than load in, spend four hours mucking around and then leave/uninstall.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 4

As I understand Sansa was intended to be a 3D game for SL.  With the long game plan to move away from the traditional SL to Sansa

Had they done that I think they wold have lost a significant percentage of the SL population.   I'm guessing in the 50 to 75% range. That's a losing proposition for LL  At this point I think the plan is to make SL better for everyone. 

And didn't SL start the build for Sansa and sell it off? 

I have been under the impression that Second Life WAS on STEAM for a brief time long ago and flopped (failed) badly with dismal thumbs down.  I did some brief research and found this one article from 2012.   I think this was also around the time when LL was trying out the web based viewer and the dumbed down (no inventory) client.    Yes, a quick search on my blog shows that was the same time period.

I never tried SL on STEAM if it was indeed there, BUT when LL announced that Sansar was going to be on STEAM there was a LOT (a whole lot) of discussion about what a bad idea that was (from the viewpoint of the citizens anyway) pointing out how badly SL had failed on STEAM.   So maybe some old timer that actually tried SL on STEAM OR remembers better than I can chime in here.   

It did turn out that the citizens were correct and Sansar did not do well on steam, neither did STEAM bring in many long time users. The population is has stayed  very small but stable for years.  

SL is so far removed from most of the games on STEAM that I have to conclude that it would STILL be a very bad idea.   AND that huge chunk of money that STEAM requires really messed up the currency exchange etc in Sansar.  So really, I don't think people really want to "go there".

4 hours ago, stlshayne said:

this would help SL be more findable and recognizable to the broader general gaming community.

It will also make them just as much of a laughing stock as Sansar was without competitive gaming features, let alone lack of competitive content creation features other "sandbox" MMO's offer.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

LL was trying out the web based viewer and the dumbed down (no inventory) client. 

Of course! If you want to simplify the SL user interface, the first thing you want to get rid of is the inventory. And people still wonder why I call the 2008-2013 period in SL the Six Dark Years.

• Thanks 1

They tried it. It was on there.

Biggest problem, if I were to guess, is that Steam is a gaming community and SL is a virtual world. Gamers don't often understand Second Life. They look for a game and eventually figure out they didn't find one here.

Well, you can find games IN SL (like Greedy, for instance). But SL is not a game in and of itself.

8 hours ago, Adam Spark said:

They tried it. It was on there.

Biggest problem, if I were to guess, is that Steam is a gaming community and SL is a virtual world. Gamers don't often understand Second Life. They look for a game and eventually figure out they didn't find one here.

Well, you can find games IN SL (like Greedy, for instance). But SL is not a game in and of itself.

I don't think this is a problem in and of itself. I would imagine SL has some overlap with the people who enjoy the virtual dollhouse/decorating stuff that a game like The Sims offers, as well as the virtual hangout+ social spaces that something like VR Chat offers. There's plenty on Steam that aren't your typical 'games' with goals/winners and losers and whatnot. 

The currency thing that others have brought up seems like it would make sense as to why SL isn't on there, though. 

Edited by stlshayne
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 4:42 PM, stlshayne said:

I don't think this is a problem in and of itself. I would imagine SL has some overlap with the people who enjoy the virtual dollhouse/decorating stuff that a game like The Sims offers, as well as the virtual hangout+ social spaces that something like VR Chat offers. There's plenty on Steam that aren't your typical 'games' with goals/winners and losers and whatnot. 

The currency thing that others have brought up seems like it would make sense as to why SL isn't on there, though. 

Pretty much this, and with GTA roleplay sims becoming a thing. I fail to understand the same thing on SL can't be implanted on steam.

• Haha 2

SL is rather aloof from the gamer ecosystem. They're not on Steam. They're banned from Twitch. Their people don't go to the Game Developers Conference.

This cuts them off from new users and new technology.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.