Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

I met a guy on here that happened to be gay and started helping him with his avatar. He didn’t need much help, but he immediately started seeking gay friendly sims.

I tried explaining to him SL doesn’t really work that way and just about anything he searches is going to be pickup places. He didn’t believe me and soon got frustrated. I tried to explain it’s more about what your interests are and to just find friends that way, because no one really cares about things like that. He ended up leaving. I’m sure he’ll be back at some point, but it really got me thinking. People talk about improving the new user experience, but I think community building and updating those tools is equally important and never really discussed.

The thing is SL is already LGBTQ friendly and from my experience it always has been. I think where LL dropped the ball is community building. Yes, there are groups but many  specific groups are inactive despite having hundreds of members. Group chat doesn’t work well. There are people that come here looking for a specific community... it’s here and not here, so they end up leaving.

So, sorry for that detour! I can only really give you the same advice I gave my friend. Try to focus on your interests and you will naturally meet the kind of people you are looking for.

10 years ago there were tons of communities. But SL has less users by the year so it is to be expected.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ren Toxx said:

One of these days we’re gonna have to settle on E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E. Might be easier to remember, if not type.

probably those communities want to be recognized? just saying. Not  E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E. is the same or have  equal experiences.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

The thing is SL is already LGBTQ friendly and from my experience it always has been.

This is the part that the OP seems to be missing in most everyone's post.  

I'm sure there are still some communities out there for any and everyone.  If not, start your own.  Bare Sun Beach and The Lesbian Teahouse have been around as long as I can remember.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2021 at 7:19 PM, Adrian Rowley said:

Every time there is a republican president I am afraid I am going to lose the legitimacy of my family...so yeah...you feel lost.

That sounds like a you problem. Stop believing the nonsense that the radicals tell you. "The other side" isn't made up of supervillains out to destroy your life.

 

On 4/19/2021 at 8:12 PM, Rowan Amore said:

This is the part that the OP seems to be missing in most everyone's post.  

I'm sure there are still some communities out there for any and everyone.  If not, start your own.  Bare Sun Beach and The Lesbian Teahouse have been around as long as I can remember.

Every community I've ever been involved in has welcomed everyone that was interested, and never once asked race or sexual orientation. It didn't matter. It's actually kind of funny, the only people it seems to matter to are the ones that demand it shouldn't matter.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2021 at 7:23 PM, Adrian Rowley said:

10 years ago there were tons of communities. But SL has less users by the year so it is to be expected.

I think the need for support and community groups has dwindled over the years in SL. There's little need to huddle in small groups when it's so easy to just get on with being who you are and make friends along the way, probably healthier too.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:
On 4/19/2021 at 6:19 PM, Adrian Rowley said:

Every time there is a republican president I am afraid I am going to lose the legitimacy of my family...so yeah...you feel lost.

That sounds like a you problem. Stop believing the nonsense that the radicals tell you. "The other side" isn't made up of supervillains out to destroy your life.

Hate crimes are a reality and frequently perpetrated against men and women who are transgender. We've had numerous murders in my city and the surrounding area. I'm not sure what Adrian means about losing the legitimacy of his family as I'm not up to speed on marriage laws for transgender citizens in each state, but maybe @Adrian Rowleycan enlighten us.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2018/topic-pages/victims

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dhyaanee said:

Hate crimes are a reality and frequently perpetrated against men and women who are transgender. We've had numerous murders in my city and the surrounding area. I'm not sure what Adrian means about losing the legitimacy of his family as I'm not up to speed on marriage laws for transgender citizens in each state, but maybe @Adrian Rowleycan enlighten us.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2018/topic-pages/victims

Which is all true.  However, I don't see this type of hate in SL.  There will always be a few but as a whole, I'd say SL is pretty accepting of everyone.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
4 minutes ago, Dhyaanee said:

Hate crimes are a reality and frequently perpetrated against men and women who are transgender. We've had numerous murders in my city and the surrounding area. I'm not sure what Adrian means about losing the legitimacy of his family as I'm not up to speed on marriage laws for transgender citizens in each state, but maybe @Adrian Rowleycan enlighten us.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2018/topic-pages/victims

Which is all true.  However, I don't see this type of hate in SL.  There will always be a few but as a whole, I'd say SL is pretty accepting of everyone.

SL does seem to be accepting, but then I don't truly know because I'm not transgender in RL or presented as such in SL. I can't say I've even talked to many who are transgender in RL and SL. I would be interested in hearing from those who are transgender in RL and do choose to reveal their status in SL and what they have experienced. I can guess that the particular macho type of guy looking for only a date would not be accepting, but what about others?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dhyaanee said:

SL does seem to be accepting, but then I don't truly know because I'm not transgender in RL or presented as such in SL. I can't say I've even talked to many who are transgender in RL and SL. I would be interested in hearing from those who are transgender in RL and do choose to reveal their status in SL and what they have experienced. I can guess that the particular macho type of guy looking for only a date would not be accepting, but what about others?

There is a thread with some people's experience with gender in SL.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Did you read those? Most of their lists include stuff that didn't remotely come close to being enacted. Any idiot can propose stupid legislation. One Democrat wanted to pass a law to protect Guam from falling over and sinking. Doesn't make all Democrats morons. So I'll say it again- stop listening to the radicals. That's how we breed more of them.

 

6 hours ago, Dhyaanee said:

Hate crimes are a reality and frequently perpetrated against men and women who are transgender. We've had numerous murders in my city and the surrounding area. I'm not sure what Adrian means about losing the legitimacy of his family as I'm not up to speed on marriage laws for transgender citizens in each state, but maybe @Adrian Rowleycan enlighten us.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2018/topic-pages/victims

Hate crimes are a reality of life, and are perpetrated against all kinds of people for all kinds of reasons. It's not a good thing, but it doesn't make what I said incorrect.

 

Besides all that, other people have already said it- SL is not the same as real life. As much as I badmouth LL, SL is definitely a better place than RL for lots of things, particularly being inclusive and understanding. So I'm just going to repeat what others have said- we don't need special groups and safe places in SL, because SL overall is already welcoming.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paul Hexem said:

Did you read those? Most of their lists include stuff that didn't remotely come close to being enacted.\

Trans people, kids especially, are living in terror that their existence is being legislated against. These bills are not performative. The relentless assault by republicans is harrowing and even if the bulk of the bills fail to become law (and it's been very close on a few this year already) they do real harm.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Trans people, kids especially, are living in terror that their existence is being legislated against.

Only because people keep perpetuating the lie that everyone is out to get them. Then when someone says "all [them] are like that", more [them] like that come out of the woodwork. We can't even have civil discussions anymore because of maniacs on both sides. Which is why I'm cutting this conversation off and saying again- thankfully, SL is a fairly inclusive place without these sorts of issues.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2021 at 9:34 PM, Paul Hexem said:

Hate crimes are a reality of life, and are perpetrated against all kinds of people for all kinds of reasons. It's not a good thing, but it doesn't make what I said incorrect.

 

Besides all that, other people have already said it- SL is not the same as real life. As much as I badmouth LL, SL is definitely a better place than RL for lots of things, particularly being inclusive and understanding. So I'm just going to repeat what others have said- we don't need special groups and safe places in SL, because SL overall is already welcoming.

It sounds to me like he wants some support for RL within SL, like people who join groups in SL dealing with disability, feminist issues relating to female empowerment, or all the other groups we have dealing with RL issues. So whether SL is welcoming to transgender residents or not is irrelevant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 11:17 PM, Adrian Rowley said:

do you notice that the gay community is going invisible rl too??? sighs.

I was reading over the forums and seen this. I just want to say that I would strongly disagree with this statement mate. The gay community now days is as visible as it's ever been. I would even go so far to as to say it is over represented in fact that people are trying so hard now days to be politically correct. Take TV programming for example. Representation is in almost every single show of some type. Some shows practically force feed and cramp homosexuality down your throat to the point of being sickening. Not because of there being gay characters in the show, but because the writing is so poor many of these characters are not written in very well at all to where it feels natural or fluid to the story line. It's a strong emphasis on making the audience aware of the fact the characters are gay. On Netflix I once came across a cartoon series about a year or so a go about a group of friends running around saving the world with their gayness in the kid section of all places. lol I was like WTF? lol So invisible is not a word I would choose to describe it mate. lol In fact far from. lol So I don't think you got anything to worry about when it comes to that my friend. The world is very well aware of the gay community mate. lol Your good. lol😎

Now as for SL communities in general are suffering be it gay or otherwise. I personally would look for discussion groups and things of that sort. Last I looked though I seen no shortage on gay communities in SL. Most beaches and clubs and various other places if anything you will see that a lot of them say LGBTQ friendly on them. Some perhaps trying to be politically correct and some because that is the general audience they are catering to. I generally see a lot of places out there and I'm not even really looking at that half the time. lol🙂

Now I do want to ask are there any specific type of gay sims as to which your referring to that would interest you more over others? The reason I ask is because while I'm not personally gay myself I do have a lot of friends who are either gay and/or whatever fancy words they came up with now days. I'm one of those people I tend to go where ever when I am on based off of who I am seeing. So I don't really pay to much attention to things like that unless I get TP'ed to one of those lesbian women only sims because I always with out fail meet that one lady who hates all things men. lol So I actually have a rule in place now about not TPing me to places like that. lol🤣

Anyway my point being is I can ask around the next time I log in and if I hear of anything then I can let you know mate. lol Good luck in your search and have a good one mate.😎

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...