Need help with choosing a new laptop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone, i need help with choosing a new laptop. I know desktop computers are usually better but i'll definitely need a laptop. 

Here's what the laptop needs to have for me: Needs to be able to run second life in firestorm and black dragon on high or ultra graphic settings without too much lag, needs to run blender and render in a reasonable time (my projects are usually not super huge), i wanna be able to run 2 or 3 programs smoothly at the same time (for example blender, photoshop, sl or webbrowser), also other games such as sims4 with a few expansion packs and custom content and some other games like gta as an example should run more or less smoothly. 

The laptop shouldnt cost more than USD 1.2k

If found those 2 laptops: 

1. MSI GF75 10SCXR-099
USD 1.2k
- Display: 17.3", 1920x1080, Full HD 144Hz IPS
-256 MB (and yes the website really says MB and not GB) SSD (M.2 PCIe 3.0 (NVMe)), 1 TB HDD
- CPU: Intel Core i7-10750H, 6 Core, 2.6 - 5 Ghz, Cache: 12 MB
- RAM: 16 GB DDR4 (max. 64 GB), 2666 MHz
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, 4GB (GDDR6)

2. Dell G3 15 3500
USD 1,320
- Display: 15.6", 1920x1080, IPS Full HD 120Hz
- 512 GB SSD M.2 PCIe NVMe
- CPU: Intel Core i7-10750H, 6 Core, 2.6 - 4.8 Ghz, Cache: 12 MB
- RAM: 16 GB DDR4-2933 SO-DIMM (max. 32 GB)
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060, 6144 MB GDDR6 VRAM

I feel like the MSI laptop might be the better choice for me since the biggest difference between those 2 laptops is the GPU and the GeForce GTX1650 should probably be enough for what I need (and it should also work fine for SL??) So i guess it's not worth it to pay more than USD 100 than my budget. 

I'd be happy to get some opinions (with explanations please) on this! 

Have an amazing day! 

Assuming it's not 256 MB I'd go with 1, considering the price. Possibly for the 1 TB as well. Storage is storage. The 2 GPU will last you longer in terms of performance over time, but 1 will do you well, IMHO. More room for RAM too (although might be an expensive update, as it's a laptop. Look around. My knowledge might be outdated).

GTX 1650 should suffice. For SL, sure. Connection means quite a bit there, as I'm sure you know.

And the larger screen will make a difference if you plan to do any serious work. Been there, done that. You WILL notice the difference. 

You didn't mention ports, cooling/fans, battery (quality and longevity) and stuff. Things to consider too.

Also, keyboard quality and size would make a huge difference for me, as I've spent a lot of my life typing for a living. Albeit mostly on an upgradable desktop, on laptops as well :)

Just my 2 cents, take it for that :)

Big difference between a 2060 and a 1060. The 1060 is almost half the card depending on workload, if blender matters at all, 2060 MINIMUM.

If you absolutely MUST have a laptop, a smaller one would be more portable and you can hang a nice screen off it when home.

Dell have significantly longer product support & service.

I wouldn't be buying a laptop, but if I absolutely had to pick between these, #2.

I have the Dell G3 15 with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Max-Q and am looking at upgrading. It works well with SL under normal settings.

I would pay the extra $100 for the better card since it can't be upgraded. The Dell should have an available 2.5 SATA port for adding an SSD (up to 2TB) alongside the NVMe later.

6 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Get a cooling pad for it. keep it cool.  otherwise,  it's not going to be happy for long.

And this for sure. The fans never stop on the G3 while doing anything with the Nvidia.

The 17 inch MSI is bigger. Might help with cooling??

Good luck! :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.