Jump to content

Scents...Do You Like Them on Humans? Do You Have Any Favs?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I like a variety and I am quite traditional in tastes but my most favourite is:

375x500.219.jpg

This one ^^^^^^^^^ has been my favorite for years.  I believe it has the vanilla bean from the orchid plant which makes it so spectacular.  Not cooking vanilla, that's another type of vanilla.

I'd like to try something new too and am going to try some from this thread as I've used Hypnotic Poison for a long time.  

As far as bath and body, Perlier is a favorite of mine, an Italian run family company.   Two American companies I like are Beekman 1802 (pure goat's milk products some with scents) and Caswell Massey, neither are too expensive.   As far as French, L'Occitane is great but I'd like to try that Panier Des Sens De Provence too as it says it's vegan and true to origin.    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nowadays only using Cologne with 80% alcohol ratio due covid. It will remove any other scent I have so I don't bother with perfume.

When it returns normal.. I will pick random perfume from demo and try it all :) I admit I am using mini perfume demos not paying for it :P

Edited by RunawayBunny
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

   I'm not a huge fan of perfume, especially synthetic ones. I'd rather pick a girl smelling of cigarette smoke rather than one smelling like a Burgundian bordello, and if a girl smells of cigarettes I'd rather just not.

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

I believe it has the vanilla bean from the orchid plant which makes it so spectacular.  Not cooking vanilla, that's another type of vanilla.

   Vanilla is a genus within the orchid family, the vanilla used for cooking is from orchids as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

   I'm not a huge fan of perfume, especially synthetic ones. I'd rather pick a girl smelling of cigarette smoke rather than one smelling like a Burgundian bordello, and if a girl smells of cigarettes I'd rather just not.

   Vanilla is a genus within the orchid family, the vanilla used for cooking is from orchids as well.

Oh.  Then there must be a difference in the way it's processed or something.  One can be inexpensive while the other not, so probably in the processing then.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, FairreLilette said:

One can be inexpensive while the other not, so probably in the processing then.

   The 'inexpensive vanilla' is usually vanillin, a synthetic product primarily produced from lignin, a compound removed from wood to produce lignin-free (acid free) paper. It's usually quite foul .. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Orwar said:

   The 'inexpensive vanilla' is usually vanillin, a synthetic product primarily produced from lignin, a compound removed from wood to produce lignin-free (acid free) paper. It's usually quite foul .. 

This is also due to the difficulty in incorporating real vanilla into product blends. Generally speaking, vanilla extracts are not oil soluble. Artificial vanilla oils (or vanillian) are cheaper and easier than finding the right blends of emulsifiers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I have too many friends and relatives with scent allergies.  It would be cruel to wear scents around them, or around others that I may not be aware of.

Back in my teens, I walked into a department store in Tokyo and was immediately spritzed by a "greeter" who was hawking some perfume. Within seconds I could feel a headache starting. Before I could get past her and exit through the other side of the building, I had a pounding headache that ruined the rest of my day. I had to return to the hotel to shower.

I should have known better. Department stores often place their cosmetics sections near the entrance and I've learned to hold my breath when passing through. I tell my friends that such stores place perfume at the entrance to mask the stench of their unwashed customer base.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

and if a girl smells of cigarettes I'd rather just not.

I have a family friend who is a non-smoker and hates anyone around smoking when we go out to eat for example, but all his wives are and have been smokers and he's on his third wife.  I mean some of his wives could smoke outside for example but they'd still smell of smoke.  So, I find this weird.  🤷‍♂️  

 

9 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

, I walked into a department store in Tokyo and was immediately spritzed by a "greeter" who was hawking some perfume.

They do that where I live too in malls.  I mean never spray someone.  Give me a card with a fragrance sure, but don't spray me.  I will admit I have been around some that are too strong also and gave me a slight headache.  I am thinking of going for a lighter cologne, maybe more like a single scent, like orange blossom for example, plus I found an orange blossom hair mist.  I'd like to probably at least go forward and experiment on the lighter spritz cologne or waters first rather too heady or heavy.   I'm definitely going to try Champa though as I am quite intrigued about it.  I love incense too.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, JanuarySwan said:

I have a family friend who is a non-smoker and hates anyone around smoking when we go out to eat for example, but all his wives are and have been smokers and he's on his third wife.  I mean some of his wives could smoke outside for example but they'd still smell of smoke.  So, I find this weird.  🤷‍♂️  

   It's very individual how much people smell from smoking, too. My bestie used to smoke, she never smelled like it. A former co-worker would step out for a smoke on the morning coffee break, and she reeked like an ash tray to the point that it was uncomfortable being in the same room. I did smoke briefly at a point when I tried to give up snus, I too smelled like an ash tray, and quickly had to give it up to be able to be in the same room as myself!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Orwar said:

   It's very individual how much people smell from smoking, too. My bestie used to smoke, she never smelled like it. A former co-worker would step out for a smoke on the morning coffee break, and she reeked like an ash tray to the point that it was uncomfortable being in the same room. I did smoke briefly at a point when I tried to give up snus, I too smelled like an ash tray, and quickly had to give it up to be able to be in the same room as myself!

Yeah, come to think of it now, I have noticed differing degrees.  I'd say his wives have not smelled like smoke to me.  Is still kind of weird.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Orwar said:

I did smoke briefly at a point when I tried to give up snus,

That's the wrong way round lol. Snus is often used as a step to giving up smoking. I did it that way. Then I stopped snus by chewing chewing gum - not nicotine, just regular chewing gum. I didn't want to stop snus. I only stopped because the post office wanted a comparitive fortune to collect some import duty, and I certainly wasn't going to pay them that much. Now I don't do any of it. Snus was THE way out of smoking for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Orwar said:

   It's very individual how much people smell from smoking, too. My bestie used to smoke, she never smelled like it. A former co-worker would step out for a smoke on the morning coffee break, and she reeked like an ash tray to the point that it was uncomfortable being in the same room. I did smoke briefly at a point when I tried to give up snus, I too smelled like an ash tray, and quickly had to give it up to be able to be in the same room as myself!

Some  heavy smokers smell like really over used chicken grease to me..

I do a lot of interviews and can tell if someone is a heavy smoker right away.. They can put on whatever scent they want to try and cover it up, but it'll just smell like that scent mixed with chicken grease..

hehehe

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Snus was THE way out of smoking for me.

   If you're a long-time snuser, quitting snus is said to be more difficult than getting off heroin. I started when I was 16, so it's been there almost half my life .. Smoking to quit did help, and when I was 21 I had almost one nicotine-free year .. Then I went to a party, and someone opened a snus pot right next to me and the scent was just so alluring. So I bought a pot, figuring I could quit easily again, and probably wouldn't get stuck in it from one night. I was wrong.

   The next time I tried to quit, I was suffering from nicotine withdrawal for 11 months, I was constantly irritable and just felt like carp. These days I figure it's one of the few things I still allow myself to enjoy, and one of the few things that can make me crawl out of bed in the morning. I enjoy the flavour, I enjoy the sensation, and with the kits I get to make mine at home I skip most of the tobacco tax, so it's not terribly expensive either, so I don't really have any incentive to quit.

   Besides, one of the first thing a lot of people tell me is what nice teeth I have, most of them are quite surprised to find I do snus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Orwar said:

   If you're a long-time snuser, quitting snus is said to be more difficult than getting off heroin. I started when I was 16, so it's been there almost half my life .. Smoking to quit did help, and when I was 21 I had almost one nicotine-free year .. Then I went to a party, and someone opened a snus pot right next to me and the scent was just so alluring. So I bought a pot, figuring I could quit easily again, and probably wouldn't get stuck in it from one night. I was wrong.

   The next time I tried to quit, I was suffering from nicotine withdrawal for 11 months, I was constantly irritable and just felt like carp. These days I figure it's one of the few things I still allow myself to enjoy, and one of the few things that can make me crawl out of bed in the morning. I enjoy the flavour, I enjoy the sensation, and with the kits I get to make mine at home I skip most of the tobacco tax, so it's not terribly expensive either, so I don't really have any incentive to quit.

   Besides, one of the first thing a lot of people tell me is what nice teeth I have, most of them are quite surprised to find I do snus. 

Is Snus the same thing as dip?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Is Snus the same thing as dip?

   .. I don't know. Is dip the same thing as snus? o.O

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

   .. I don't know. Is dip the same thing as snus? o.O

I tried looking it up on youtube and it looks like it comes in the same kind of cans..

I don't know much about either of them.. I know that the people with those cans around where I live call it dipping..  I don't know if it's two different terms or the same thing.. hehehe

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I tried looking it up on youtube and it looks like it comes in the same kind of cans..

I don't know much about either of them.. I know that the people with those cans around where I live call it dipping..  I don't know if it's two different terms or the same thing.. hehehe

 

It's dip

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I don't know how anyone could like it.

   The flavour of tobacco (and in my case, infused with Islay whisky) without coughing up my lungs? I love it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like CK Euphoria.  And the original Jennifer Aniston actually works too for me (very light).  I used to like the original unisex Benetton Colors. Once they split it to Men and Women it changed, and so I faded to something else.  

Office work in a huge building while navigating "scent" policies introduced based on staff allergies etc. has lead me to minimize to the point of very little if at all.  Lemon always seems cheery, always a sunny lemonade day!

Edited by Kyrie Deka
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Is Snus the same thing as dip?

Snus is snuff. Snus is the Swedish word for snuff. But whereas snuff is taken up the nose, snus is placed under the upper lip.

Most snus comes in little packets made from the same paper that teabags are made from. I don't know what dip is but it doesn't sound anything like that. Some people use loose snus though, which may be something like dip.

Snus comes in many flavours. I know an SL friend who tried it and it almost made her vomit. She'd chosen a horrible taste that, imo, could do that. I preferred sweet minty tastes.

CAUTION: Swedish snus has had the carcinogenic stuff removed, but American snus hasn't. Using American snus can end badly. Years ago, someone posted a photograph here of someone with a hole in his face, caused by using snus. American snus can do that but not Swedish. Swedish snus is available in the U.S.

 

 

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Snus is snuff. Snus is the Swedish word for snuff. But whereas snuff is taken up the nose, snus is placed under the upper lip.

Most snus comes in little packets made from the same paper that teabags are made from. I don't know what dip is but it doesn't sound anything like that. Some people use loose snus though, which may be something like dip.

Snus comes in many flavours. I know an SL friend who tried it and it almost made her vomit. She'd chosen a horrible taste that, imo, could do that. I preferred sweet minty tastes.

CAUTION: Swedish snus has had the carcinogenic stuff removed, but American snus hasn't. Using American snus can end badly. Years ago, someone posted a photograph here of someone with a hole in his face, caused by using snus. American snus can do that but not Swedish. Swedish snus is available in the U.S.

It's the same thing as snuff. But in North America people call it dip, because it's short for dipping snuff, which is the same thing as what you're describing: Putting the snuff under your lip or jaw and it also comes in little packets.

My great grandmother farmed tobacco in Virginia and she used to dip. I thought it was so cool that she did it, so when I was 15, I stole a pinch. I was absolutely levelled by the head rush. Never did that again, but I admit it has a nice earthy smell.

Also, the Swedish stuff is still carcinogenic.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...