Scents...Do You Like Them on Humans? Do You Have Any Favs?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As far as scents what are your favs and do you like scents on humans or prefer just a clean smell?

I am looking for a cologne for a female and need help with ideas.   So, please post some of your favorite colognes or parfums.  

I love the scent of orange blossoms, vanilla, roses, and cinnamon.  

Edited by JanuarySwan

I used to work in the cosmetics / skincare industry blending fragrance oils and some essential oils... Which made me super picky. Some scents are great in a bar of soap but when you crack open a 50gal drum of it it's the absolute worst. I cannot stand floral scents because of this. 

Except Champa. Oh my god. I could bathe in the stuff. (which... Don't. Essential oils should never be applied directly to the skin.) I will bathe in Champa scented soaps, burn Champa incense...

That and lavender, citrus scents, and the scent of Tonka flower and Lavender that lush uses for their Twilight bath bomb. I also make a beard oil for my husband with sandalwood and orange-- great combo btw. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bitterthorn said:

I used to work in the cosmetics / skincare industry blending fragrance oils and some essential oils... Which made me super picky. Some scents are great in a bar of soap but when you crack open a 50gal drum of it it's the absolute worst. I cannot stand floral scents because of this. 

Except Champa. Oh my god. I could bathe in the stuff. (which... Don't. Essential oils should never be applied directly to the skin.) I will bathe in Champa scented soaps, burn Champa incense...

That and lavender, citrus scents, and the scent of Tonka flower and Lavender that lush uses for their Twilight bath bomb. I also make a beard oil for my husband with sandalwood and orange-- great combo btw. 

How do you feel about Yuzu?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

How do you feel about Yuzu?

I like it, but it was never one I handled in bulk to have ruined for me, hah. A lot of Yuzu labeled products are actually using a blend of bergamot and sweet orange and other additives so we didn't stock it. (Much as I wish we had, along with some other really nice scents)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitterthorn said:

lavender, citrus scents

I love Lavender too.  I forgot that one.  Sounds like you had a cool job.     

1 hour ago, Bitterthorn said:

Champa scented soaps, burn Champa incense...

I've never heard of Champa.  I'd like to look it up.

What do you think of the French companies?  I'm looking at Panier Des Sens products today - both their lavender and orange blossom sound good and it's a good price (best price seems to be on Amazon).   I've splurged on some Crabtree & Evelyn Rose today but I'm looking to treat myself to more and try some new things.  It's been a long time since I've bought Crabtree & Evelyn, wonderful English company or at least it used to be.  

Edited by JanuarySwan

I haven't worn cologne as such for years, but when I did I sometimes chose '4711'.  The original composition contains bergamot, lemon, orange,  lavender, rosemary, and neroli, but they now have a rose version.   I have a precious bottle of Houbigant's 'Quelques Fleurs' that still smells wonderful, though it was discontinued long ago and reformulated, so I don't know what it is like now.  The perfumes I regularly wear these days are 'Berlin' and 'Los Angeles' by Gallivant (who have a set of 8 samples at a good price), and 'Paris' by Yves Saint-Laurent (lovely rose scent in that).  Altogether I have about 30 perfumes, and, since they don't generally last forever, the cheaper ones end up as room fragrance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JanuarySwan said:

I love Lavender too.  I forgot that one.  Sounds like you had a cool job.     

I've never heard of Champa.  I'd like to look it up.

What do you think of the French companies?  I'm looking at Panier Des Sens products today - both their lavender and orange blossom sound good and it's a good price (best price seems to be on Amazon).   I've splurged on some Crabtree & Evelyn Rose today but I'm looking to treat myself to more and try some new things.  It's been a long time since I've bought Crabtree & Evelyn, wonderful English company or at least it used to be.  

The job was fun, but it didn't pay well. I also REEKED when I got home every evening from all the scents, haha. 

I haven't given Panier Des Sens a try, but now I'm tempted! I've recently been trying some lip balms and face oils from Rebel's Refinery, (they have some amazing packaging, worth taking a look) which have really mild scents I am fond of.  There's also a company called Auric Blends (found in pagan gift stores and head shops across the US) with some perfume rollers that are super nostalgic to me after I used them a lot as a teenager and I wonder if they will still smell as good to me some twenty years later. 

• Like 1

My favourite scent is Nag Champa incense. I've been burning that stuff every day for years.

My favourite perfume to wear is Comme des Garçons Incense Jaisalmer, which is a bit difficult to get where I live but so lovely. Before that my favourite was Neroli Eau de Parfum by L'Occitane but it was discontinued and the replacement is hideous.

• Like 2

Ooh I see two of my old favorites here: Alien by Thierry Mugler, Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior. Love woody and warm spicy amber and vanilla; strong but feminine scents. I also wore Black Opium by Yves Saint Laurent every day for a couple of years until I fell out of love with it (sentimental reason). Oriental by Zara, an amber-vanilla-musk fragrance, would have been the perfect cologne for me but the longevity is extremely disappointing. People who know me in real life can tell I am near when they can catch a whiff of coffee and dark nutty chocolate, an interesting contrast to my appearance which looks more like someone who wears tutti-fruity and cloyingly-girly scents like Juicy Couture.

But I always come back to the Princess collection by Vera Wang. Warm powdery vanilla with just the perfect balance of fruity and spicy. The Rock Princess above all holds a special place in my heart because it has more woodsy and intense dark chocolate and guava notes, and I feel it is my personality in a bottle.

PRINCESS.thumb.jpg.8f29b2e8671244047f43066542cd5d97.jpg

On fragrances and men: An interesting study done years ago by Rohto Pharmaceutical claim that men (or average Japanese men at least) are drawn the most to what they believe is the “young woman smell” (lol creepy), comprising of compounds Lactone C10 and C11, scents that I personally think smell like peaches in milk. Here in Japan many beauty products are infused with peach aroma because it is believed to be the “smell of youth“ that will help you “be popular to men” lmao while it smells delicious I do not care much for it, neither does my husband. We both prefer musky chocolate scents.

• Like 2

My first mother used to wear this and  I always loved it and could never remember the name, then one day it finally came to me and I remembered..

Then ordered  a bottle.. I really love the scent.. It matches it's name so well..

My husband and even the boys love it.

p290472_1_ca_en_ca_pd.png

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.