Wanted: ASL Animations (BENTO) for Typing

Helen Somerset

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there,

I have done several deep dives in the Marketplace, through countless Bento AOs across the grid, and have not found anything in regards to ASL or its potential with bento. Prior to bento, ASL in SL was incredibly difficult, with a few creators only being able to utilise the system hand positions via the animation uploader.

I'm looking, or am requesting some information, on who to look for or what to look for in regards to this. I would love to have a better fitting character that is neither using silly gestures when typing, or gesturing as if speaking in conversation. Instead, as my bento head talk animations can be turned off, an ASL typing animation would be perfect for me. The typing animation may be as simple as signing a general phrase (e.g. "How are you?" or "I love you!") with a continuous loop and a priority of about 3 or 4. Ideally also being much more expressive than just an extension of the arms with little to no movement elsewhere (like the popular ASL bento typer on the marketplace). 

If anyone could please help me, if they know someone who might be able to do this and are accepting requests (with payment of course) please let me know.

Thank you so much. 🙂

Edited by Helen Somerset

I know there is a letter-by-letter asl typer out there, but I'm not aware of anything that has general phrases. If someone with a mocap pipeline for SL animations got on it they would probably make a fairly easy quick buck. animating asl gestures by-hand(without a mocap studio) would be rather expensive and tedious I'd think.

12 hours ago, Quistessa said:

I know there is a letter-by-letter asl typer out there, but I'm not aware of anything that has general phrases. If someone with a mocap pipeline for SL animations got on it they would probably make a fairly easy quick buck. animating asl gestures by-hand(without a mocap studio) would be rather expensive and tedious I'd think.

I do own the letter-by-letter typer, but I just want to immerse myself a little more with a typing animation alongside it. I figure as AOs from Vista have pretty well-made typing animations for their overriders, there must be some way to contact them or any other brand for requests. The issue with that however is cost. I'm only one person, wanting one animation, so if I'm spending equal to an arm and a leg, perhaps I should take responsibility for this and provide it myself... (after learning the basics of course).

This isn't necessarily a woe-is-me, but it wouldn't be unlikely for an animator to at least give this a shot and maybe make a quick buck. I worry I may have to become a beginner in the bento/animating field myself, though. I don't want to beg haha.

If anyone is out there... 🙏 🥺

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.