Hmm

Cayllin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I'm completely new to SL. I have no idea what I'm doing and how to change my avi or anything. Getting frustrated cause I bought a few items and I cannot use them on my avatar. Its like showing up as if its holding a box instead of being on the avatar itself. I must be doing it wrong... Please help! Haha. ^.^;

Welcome to SL!

The items you buy in SL mostly come delivered in a box. You must drag the box to the ground, click right on it and choose "copy to inventory". It will create a folder in which all the elements of your purchase will be. (For instance, if it is an outfit, the folder has the name of the outfit and inside are shirt, pants, jacket, etc).

Dragging your boxed items to the ground is the most convenient way to set them down. You can also wear them on your hand, then right click on them & select "Drop".  Then right click on the box to "Open" it & "Copy to Inventory" the items inside.  Some packaging will open automatically when you touch it, but most needs to be opened by right clicking on it.

Some items you buy go into your inventory in their own folders, without you having to open their packages this way.

Btw, once you start buying things & picking up freebies, it's a good idea to put them into Inventory folders to keep track of them.  SL inventory can quickly get unmanagable if you don't.

There is lots & lots of free & inexpensive stuff in SL, which can be both wonderful & overwhelming.

Once you have copied the content of the box to your inventory, the box is empty (unless it a "copy" item). So you don't need to leave the box on the ground. If it empty, click right and "delete". If it still has content, click right and "take".

Search by name for the item in your inventory (in recent objects and objects). Click right on each element (shirt for example) and choose "wear" or "add". Your avatar will be wearing the outfit.

Welcome Caylin!

It is a newbie right of passage to attach a box to your avie so you can check that one off your list!  You have been given excellent advice here already.  I would just add that you might wish to take some free classes at NCI and/or Caledon that will help you get up and on your feet a bit faster.  

I recall as a newbie I bought a great looking pair of shoes.  In addition to the base, there were two parts for each foot.  When I attached the second part on one foot, it was horizontal to my ankle so it looked really odd.  I clicked on it but could not move it.  Actually, I could move it, I just did not know how to move it.  I contacted the seller and she did not understand my problem.  I am sure she thought that I could just edit the part to fit properly but she did not suggest it (it was probably so obvious to her).  I ended up deleting the shoes.  Oh well, live and learn!

Enjoy your SL!

Hello Cayllin. So many great advices for you here. The fact is you need some time to understand absolutely how your inventory works (i remember now my first days in SL :PP) and also how you use the commands save and save as when you save the changes in your avatar. Slowly you will understand all of them. For any additional help you need, don' t hesitate to ask for. Welcome and have fun!

A picture is worth a thousand words, so you might want to watch some of these videos.

I'd add more videos to this post, but I don't have time right now.

Personally, I don't use "Outfits" for my clothing, because I get too many duplicate pieces that way. Instead I save a folder with my favorite body shape, skin, hair, etc, inside the Body folder.  Then I put on outifts from my Clothing folder.  Be sure you keep the folders your clothing comes in, though you can rename the folders to help you remember what's inside & delete notecards or LMs you don't need from the folders. Don't delete pictures of your outfits, because they help you know what the outfit looks like without having to try it on.

Sub-folders are your friends. Get used to making & using sub-folders to help keep you inventory in order.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.