Jump to content

Mac User Converting to Windows


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

My fps is generally at a 2 on a Mac atm and I'm struggling with a Mac. My quandary is should I upgrade the Mac or do the switch and go Windows laptop? I've attached a windows laptop I've found which I think is suitable. I just wanted any ideas on what's going to get my fps to at least 15 at ground level crowded sims. To just be at a busy sim basically and not lag. Any help would be appreciated. P.S I am illiterate to specs and technical PC talk.

1f4f01cb21b9e7efff514fa345d3970b.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That laptop is total overkill for Second Life really - providing that you are able to remove the bloatware that will probably come preinstalled then it will be more than adequate for running SL but the FPS you get will depend on how pretty you want things to look and how badly optimised all that mesh stuff is people are wearing. 

I average anything from 15 to 80 fps on populated sims - again it all depends on the mesh stuff more than anything. Not sure what type of Mac you have and whether or not you use Mac specific apps so only you will know if it makes sense to make the switch.

An alternative to potentially wasting a heap of money would be to create a Bootcamp partition and seeing how well SL performs running under Windows on your Mac.

 

Edited by Jax Leeder
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not overkill. In Second Life you need all the single core processor performance you can get. Don't waste any more money on a Mac. In fact, don't waste too much money on a laptop in general. Here is something that would do nicely for Second Life and blow any Mac of equivalent pricing out of the water: https://www.newegg.com/bonfire-black-asus-tuf-gaming-a15-fa506iu-nb53/p/N82E16834235505

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Jax Leeder said:

That laptop is total overkill for Second Life really - providing that you are able to remove the bloatware that will probably come preinstalled then it will be more than adequate for running SL but the FPS you get will depend on how pretty you want things to look and how badly optimised all that mesh stuff is people are wearing. 

I average anything from 15 to 80 fps on populated sims - again it all depends on the mesh stuff more than anything. Not sure what type of Mac you have and whether or not you use Mac specific apps so only you will know if it makes sense to make the switch.

An alternative to potentially wasting a heap of money would be to create a Bootcamp partition and seeing how well SL performs running under Windows on your Mac.

 

When you say total overkill for second life, what do you mean? Like it's too big of a buy to use specifically for just sl? Bcos that's all I'd be using it for, I don't want to make the big switch to Windows for everything computer related bcos Mac apps and everything else I use on there serves it's purpose and runs smoothly. My Mac is decent but 3 years old and it's not lag free with an fps of 1.5, I'm lucky I don't crash. Oh I should add I've done the bootcamp previously when SL wasn't so mesh/graphic intense and it didn't change the performance, it ran smooth. I'm contemplating doing that now and upgrading to an MacBook Pro with the M1 Chip, which I hear good things about just I don't know anyone who uses this and runs SL. I just want to be able to hopefully have a laptop last me 3 years and use SL plus my Mac's features. 

Edited by Haylzstorm SecretSpy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, KjartanEno said:

It's not overkill. In Second Life you need all the single core processor performance you can get. Don't waste any more money on a Mac. In fact, don't waste too much money on a laptop in general. Here is something that would do nicely for Second Life and blow any Mac of equivalent pricing out of the water: https://www.newegg.com/bonfire-black-asus-tuf-gaming-a15-fa506iu-nb53/p/N82E16834235505

Oh thank you so much for this! I truly appreciate it! I know laptops tend to not be used for gaming but for sl and general use I like laptops for minimalization. I've been a windows user and I'm cursed with them running smoothly (virus protection), the constant expense and need to upgrade. So something simple, reasonably priced with that core process performance sounds perfect! Thanks again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The laptop's absolutely fine.

The only overkill for SL is the amount of cores in the CPU, but there's hardly any CPU with less cores available anyway.

I switched from Mac to PC three years ago too. Mac's are always behind with their graphics hardware. They're also clocked down for stability. A big factor affecting your frame rate is their retina screen, which sucks in 4 times the GPU resources for tiny pixels that serve no extra purpose in playing SL. One solution would be to half the resolution settings, but that effectively leaves you with and expensive screen you're using at a setting that cheap screens perform with too.

The only big plus on a Mac is the OS (Spotlight search is lightning fast and searching within documents too; and Mac OS is super stable POSIX-compliant) and the brightness of their screens.

My biggest reason for switching systems is that after 3 years of use, my iMac's graphics card broke and needed 'replacement'. I.e. the whole motherboard including GPU and CPU were soldered onto the motherboard, which had to be replaced in its entirety at a price that would practically have bought me a new computer.

Your framerate will definitely go up. But it can still get low, because it mostly depends om how much mesh someone has rezzed out in a given area. And since this is 'our world, our imagination', a landscape in SL is as fast as the owner of the place deems acceptable. So, if their computer is faster than yours, you're ***** there.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

The laptop's absolutely fine.

The only overkill for SL is the amount of cores in the CPU, but there's hardly any CPU with less cores available anyway.

I switched from Mac to PC three years ago too. Mac's are always behind with their graphics hardware. They're also clocked down for stability. A big factor affecting your frame rate is their retina screen, which sucks in 4 times the GPU resources for tiny pixels that serve no extra purpose in playing SL. One solution would be to half the resolution settings, but that effectively leaves you with and expensive screen you're using at a setting that cheap screens perform with too.

The only big plus on a Mac is the OS (Spotlight search is lightning fast and searching within documents too; and Mac OS is super stable POSIX-compliant) and the brightness of their screens.

My biggest reason for switching systems is that after 3 years of use, my iMac's graphics card broke and needed 'replacement'. I.e. the whole motherboard including GPU and CPU were soldered onto the motherboard, which had to be replaced in its entirety at a price that would practically have bought me a new computer.

Your framerate will definitely go up. But it can still get low, because it mostly depends om how much mesh someone has rezzed out in a given area. And since this is 'our world, our imagination', a landscape in SL is as fast as the owner of the place deems acceptable. So, if their computer is faster than yours, you're ***** there.

Oh thank you so much for this, I really needed the opinion of a Mac to PC user. I'm going to try and half the resolution settings just to check things out performance wise for now. I feel like Macs have a 3 year warranty for a reason, as soon as it's up something fails lol. I totally understand with the frame rate, I just want to enjoy SL again at a general lag free experience, in all my years it's never been this low. Fabulous advice Arduenn, this has been so helpful!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a mac and back in the day I was able to use it for SL but honestly it is just not made for that. I bought a new acer gaming laptop for my birthday this year so that I could play the games I like again and come back to SL. 

However, I hate windows and will stick with my mac for everything other than gaming. It is 5 years old and still fast and I never have issues. It runs like when I bought it. So for work school and general stuff I use my macbook and for second life, sims, planet zoo and eve online I use the acer. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Abby Muller said:

I have a mac and back in the day I was able to use it for SL but honestly it is just not made for that. I bought a new acer gaming laptop for my birthday this year so that I could play the games I like again and come back to SL. 

However, I hate windows and will stick with my mac for everything other than gaming. It is 5 years old and still fast and I never have issues. It runs like when I bought it. So for work school and general stuff I use my macbook and for second life, sims, planet zoo and eve online I use the acer. 

Right, see Abby this is my thing too. Mac's can last me 8 years, I'll be out of warranty after 3 years but they have serious lasting power and are smooth for everyday work, design etc. I love the look, its user friendly and the interface is simple. 5 years ago Mac was fine for me but all this mesh is taxing on it so I'm gonna cave and just get a gaming laptop purely for sl and sl only.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SL can cause heat problems in laptops and in extremes can eat the video card over the years.
I would consider a stand for the laptop with an extra fan underneath it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2021 at 11:42 AM, Haylzstorm SecretSpy said:

My fps is generally at a 2 on a Mac atm and I'm struggling with a Mac. My quandary is should I upgrade the Mac or do the switch and go Windows laptop? I've attached a windows laptop I've found which I think is suitable. I just wanted any ideas on what's going to get my fps to at least 15 at ground level crowded sims. To just be at a busy sim basically and not lag. Any help would be appreciated. P.S I am illiterate to specs and technical PC talk.

1f4f01cb21b9e7efff514fa345d3970b.png

You say that like it’s a Mac related issue that you have 2 fps. How old is your Mac?. I have both a 16” MBP and a 15” mid 2012 retina MPB and the mid 2012 one still plays SL mostly fine and the 16” puts SL to bed and tucks it in 😆.

The laptop you linked will be fine and will last you a good amount of time. Ignore the overkill comments. It’s worth the extra graphics incase you ever went to play other games / graphical lastibility and 16gb of ram is kinda the standard now. If you can afford it then get it.

Or, post your currents macs stats and il see if I can help you get it working more smoothly.

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have computers that run on the Mac OS, Win and Linux. The desktop I'm using is multi-boot and can handle SL with no issue, no matter which OS I'm booted on.  But a MacBook Pro I have you can hear the fans going ape chit --- same with Surface laptop.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I own a latest generation Intel iMac (32g) and a 2020 M1 Mac Mini (16g) and Sl runs well on both. I have to “manage” the Mini for photography a bit, but I expect that to smooth out after Firestorm for Mac ports more and more to the M1 chip architecture.

I spent 21 years using software from MicroSatan and I’m not eager to contemplate going back 🙂

Probably, its just a “what flavor of ice cream do you like?” Issue tho....so if you’re happy; thats what counts.

 

image.gif

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2021 at 5:29 AM, ItHadToComeToThis said:

You say that like it’s a Mac related issue that you have 2 fps. How old is your Mac?. I have both a 16” MBP and a 15” mid 2012 retina MPB and the mid 2012 one still plays SL mostly fine and the 16” puts SL to bed and tucks it in 😆.

The laptop you linked will be fine and will last you a good amount of time. Ignore the overkill comments. It’s worth the extra graphics incase you ever went to play other games / graphical lastibility and 16gb of ram is kinda the standard now. If you can afford it then get it.

Or, post your currents macs stats and il see if I can help you get it working more smoothly.

I say it like I have no knowledge of specs which is why I am here. The Mac is 3 years old, I actually don't want to not use her but my warranty is just expired and you know how that goes but I've solid runs for 8 years without issues. Thank you, I just want a stable machine for SL but I have always been Sims and WOW curious. I just purchased the M1 Macbook Air 2020 (unsure of logistics) and doing a trade in on the 3 year old. Currently waiting impatiently for deliveries for both haha, after advice here and sl fb I narrowed it down to:

MSI GF63 15.6" Full HD 144Hz Gaming Laptop (Intel i7) [GTX1650]

15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz thin bezel display

Intel Comet lake i7-10750H processor (2.6 - 5.0GHz)

512GB SDD storage with 16GB RAM

Edited by Haylzstorm SecretSpy
details
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2021 at 1:30 AM, Amanda Crisp said:

I own a latest generation Intel iMac (32g) and a 2020 M1 Mac Mini (16g) and Sl runs well on both. I have to “manage” the Mini for photography a bit, but I expect that to smooth out after Firestorm for Mac ports more and more to the M1 chip architecture.

I spent 21 years using software from MicroSatan and I’m not eager to contemplate going back 🙂

Probably, its just a “what flavor of ice cream do you like?” Issue tho....so if you’re happy; thats what counts.

 

image.gif

Oh goodness! This isgood news! Without coming off too creepy I like your flavour too haha just because its been my baby for too long. So I'm fence sitting once both new laptops arrive and will judge how they work best for me. Thank you for this! ❤️ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2021 at 11:12 AM, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I have computers that run on the Mac OS, Win and Linux. The desktop I'm using is multi-boot and can handle SL with no issue, no matter which OS I'm booted on.  But a MacBook Pro I have you can hear the fans going ape chit --- same with Surface laptop.

I've done the partition Mac with windows awhile back and gave that up as mesh become more intense. I mean I know it depends on so many factors and I probably will only try black dragon for picture quality. I just want to experience the best and what suits me yanno? And why not?! lol I did play around with settings people recommended and got my MacBooks fps up to an 8 but alas she will always hit the 2 pretty fast even though I rarely crash. Thank you for your input Kimmi, much appreciated! ❤️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2021 at 10:10 PM, Sid Nagy said:

SL can cause heat problems in laptops and in extremes can eat the video card over the years.
I would consider a stand for the laptop with an extra fan underneath it.

Thanks Sid, Im an avid underneath fan user and stop to cool her alot. I've never had a bloated Mac yet and thats well over oooh 9 years on sl with it and windows prior. So I must've been doing something right! ;)❤️ 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...