Looking to hire a scripter.

Tinkarbell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1104 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Tinkarbell said:

That's ok with me. I have settled for just getting this working with free cam / alt cam

Unfortunately, it's not even that simple.

Going back to what @Wulfie Reanimator said, in SL you also cannot get the location and rotation of a specific joint while it's being animated. Heck, as far as I know you can't get the position / rotation of a specific joint at all, as functions such as llGetPos will return the avatar's root position. You can make some educated guesses about the relative location of joints by calculating the height of the avatar, but nothing can be done for their rotations.

I guess the closest you can get script-wise is to make use of a linkset with the root attachment point on the head, as then you can make use of local rotations instead of region relative; but again you'd be limited to the avatar only looking straight ahead as the script does not know the animated position of the head (and thus cannot calculate the correct rotation for the eyes to look)

1 minute ago, Quistessa said:

I put a trivial particle script into a prim attached to each eye. Also needed an alpha to make my (normal) eyes invisible.

The eye texture is apparently from outworldz, happened to be the only one I could find in my inventory.

You are a genius! I'm really blown away!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tinkarbell said:

I'm really blown away!

Until you look at the particle eyes from an obtuse or vertical angle or at close distance, then you'll see eye sockets or empty space and you'll be weirded out instead, heh.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Until you look at the particle eyes from an obtuse or vertical angle or at close distance, then you'll see eye sockets or empty space and you'll be weirded out instead, heh.

nope. actually it works pretty good for heads with deep eye sockets like system default. doesn't work for heads with shallow eye sockets like leLutka

15 hours ago, Quistessa said:

I put a trivial particle script into a prim attached to each eye. Also needed an alpha to make my (normal) eyes invisible.

The eye texture is apparently from outworldz, happened to be the only one I could find in my inventory.

Another trick is a more common optical illusion with concave surfaces.

https://puu.sh/Hz7sP/9e17f8312d.mp4

28fca5f237.png

You could make the effect more extreme with an actual cone-shaped eye.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Another trick is a more common optical illusion with concave surfaces.

I literally had a version of this pass through the back of my mind when I was playing with the eyes, but I lazily thought it wouldn't work because you usually have to remove the watcher's depth perception somehow. . . totally overlooking the fact that there is no depth perception on a (flat) computer monitor. . . *facepalm*

I have one of these in a glass covered cabinet by my dining room.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1104 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.