Deploy Plan for the Week of 2021-04-12 (Updated 2021-04-14)

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server:

SLS will get the build that was deployed to RC last week.

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2021-03-31.557694.html

Tuesday 2021-04-13 03:00-11:00 PDT

Second Life RC:

Update @ 2021-04-14 14:00 PDT: The RC channels will be restarted this week for an infrastructure update.  There will be no version change - regions will remain on 2021-03-31.557694.

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2021-03-31.557694.html

Thursday 2021-04-15 08:00-12:00 PDT

On Region Restarts:

After Tuesday's roll, all regions will have <7 day uptime, so we don't anticipate any restarts designed to keep the simulators fresh.

• Thanks 8

@Maestro Linden Well those "internal tweaks" seem to have done the trick with script run.  I have been seeing % figures on RC channel regions running that code that I have not seen in three years!  And it seems to be genuine, my scripted HUDs are responding faster than usual on those regions.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

My region's been zapped by some new breeding farm moving in, and taking advantage of the 30K LI limit.  Will see if the SLS roll can help this mess:

05a5501b2d5a3b3a2124d9f14c7201c0.png

With the Script Events at 3675, i'm surprised anything is running at all on that region. Might want to check with the estate owner r.e. their policy on on excessive resource usage.

My hopes are with you though!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jenna Huntsman said:

With the Script Events at 3675, i'm surprised anything is running at all on that region. Might want to check with the estate owner r.e. their policy on on excessive resource usage.

Oh I know, am waiting until after the roll to submit my complaint to Zoha.  The new breedable farm group also has 4 avatars using 1000 scripts total  and consuming about 20 times the CPU time as anyone else, and they are there 24/7.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

We're talking about some rule on individual residents putting an unfair load on a server, and, based on the enforcement of other rules applying to Second Life, I am doubtful. I can't clear from my mind thoughts of R v Sussex Justices, ex parte McCarthy ([1924] 1 KB 256, [1923] All ER Rep 233), which is the case that gives us "Not only must Justice be done; it must also be seen to be done."

So we report a griefer, get an automatic acknowledgement, and never hear anything more. Not even an "insufficient evidence".

We have rules for what we can do in Second Life. Who can we trust to enforce them?

The rest, as the Bard said, is silence.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The topic of script load for users is in conversation for as long as the increase in script performance for the regions, where one could write novels about it. The new technology would easily allow the Stone Age limits to be increased far to achieve a much better performance. The limits that still apply today date back to the prehistoric days of SL. However, one should not increase the limits in order to create free access to script bombs and thus lag producers to hang even more scripts on the carcass, but for example to give regions like ours the opportunity to maintain a year-round operation without having to turn on and off permanently essential objects. This is absolutely counterproductive and only hinders the work of all those who work behind the scenes to maintain the smooth operation of the regions. The Estatetool should also provide the possibility to set fixed script loads for the guests of the region, so that they are both informed about their script load and are denied a longer stay if they do not discard their crap within a certain period of time. Also, so-called sales events, which in reality are nothing more than a kind of supermarket, should be placed on special servers so that they do not affect the rest of the grid. Because there most of these script bombers gather and usually stay there for hours only to generate traffic for the fact that they are offered, for example, a lower-priced underpants. Only today I was at one of these so-called sales events and thanks to 47 weak script bombers and 11753 active scripts I needed 10 minutes for a distance of almost 100 meters and 20 minutes until everything was loaded properly. The region was down to 10 region FPS and 12 to 15 physic FPS, and delayed like an ass in despair.

Edited by Miller Thor

Well that went Sooo well, didn't it!

Currently I am awaiting my region's return, the restart having been initiated 45 minutes after LL claimed the Roll was complete on the GSP. SNAFU.

• Like 1

Further to the above: thankyou LL support for getting my region rolled nearly one hour after the official end of today's roll, I suspect Woods was not alone in "slipping through the net"  Your net needs to be repaired before more of your catch slips out.

Sadly Woods does not seem to have benefitted from the script-run  improvements I have seen elsewhere, goodness knows why not.

The group chat failure was awkwardly timed to coincide with regions sometimes being offline for up to an hour.  Several of the groups I belong to had to resort to notices updating members of offline clubhouses etc since group chat had failed.

If SL had to pass the equivalent of a UK MoT test, it would fail.

Edited by Aishagain

• Maestro Linden changed the title to Deploy Plan for the Week of 2021-04-12 (Updated 2021-04-14)

ACHTUNG!
ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENSPEEPERS!
DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN! ODERWISE IST EASY TO SCHNAPPEN DER SPRINGENWERK, BLOWENFUSEN UND POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKEN.
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, arabellajones said:

ACHTUNG!
ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENSPEEPERS!
DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN! ODERWISE IST EASY TO SCHNAPPEN DER SPRINGENWERK, BLOWENFUSEN UND POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKEN.
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.

The first time I saw that it was on Hollerith cards, and so were our phone bills.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.