Mystery Water Glow Effect

Matthieu Quander

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I cannot figure out the source of this mysterious pinkish glow along the shoreline of my stilt home.  It does not appear to be coming from a light source, as the glow is limited to the water.  Changing the environment settings for sky or water has no effect.  It is there whether I am on or off my parcel.  No other homes near me have the same effect.  It's not overly offensive, but I would like to know what is causing it.

Any ideas or suggestions for how to figure it out that doesn't require me to completely tear out my house and put it all back one piece at a time?  

image.thumb.png.b890df6af92f7354e613c01a1f2ab536.png

3 minutes ago, Matthieu Quander said:

I cannot figure out the source of this mysterious pinkish glow along the shoreline of my stilt home.  It does not appear to be coming from a light source, as the glow is limited to the water.  Changing the environment settings for sky or water has no effect.  It is there whether I am on or off my parcel.  No other homes near me have the same effect.  It's not overly offensive, but I would like to know what is causing it.

Any ideas or suggestions for how to figure it out that doesn't require me to completely tear out my house and put it all back one piece at a time?  

image.thumb.png.b890df6af92f7354e613c01a1f2ab536.png

Cam under the water, way in the ground. Did you lose a lamp? It happens. 

• Thanks 1

I've seen something similar in the past, and it has always turned out to be a light source within the house. I've had to go through a house and turn off each light source one by one until I find the offender, and it's usually one I wouldn't have suspected because, like in your case, there's no obvious light from the source showing anywhere else. It's odd and I've never figured out exactly WHY it happens. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I've seen something similar in the past, and it has always turned out to be a light source within the house. I've had to go through a house and turn off each light source one by one until I find the offender, and it's usually one I wouldn't have suspected because, like in your case, there's no obvious light from the source showing anywhere else. It's odd and I've never figured out exactly WHY it happens. 

A creator friend told me when I was griping about trying to find which furniture was full bright, about using the sky setting Phototools - No Light and it makes it pitch black except for objects emitting light, which could help.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Malayaa said:

A creator friend told me when I was griping about trying to find which furniture was full bright, about using the sky setting Phototools - No Light and it makes it pitch black except for objects emitting light, which could help.  

Another good suggestion, but didn't help in this case.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Matthieu Quander said:

It looks like it could be a light from a projector lighting fixture?  If you choose Midnight and move any light fixture you may be able to spot if this is what's causing it.  (Turning them off doesn't always work)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

I wish more people were as detailed oriented as you are. Many people aren’t even aware that their curtains are full bright or that their lamp is lighting up my house.

You give me more credit than I deserve.  Creating a nice nighttime ambience is a level of detail I rarely attempt.  Tweaking lighting is a chore under the best of circumstances, and when you factor in the "where is that light coming from" effect that you get under the stilts, it's just not worth the effort to me. 

I do like a nice little outdoor space to enjoy at night, but I try to avoid having my house look like I am worried about finding it after a nighttime boating expedition.  Most of the time, I keep my environment set to some measure of daylight, with most lighting in a turned off state.  Light bleeding through walls and floors is more than my OCD can usually handle (pretends I can't see my neighbors' homes).  

Maybe someday, the technology will improve to prevent artificial light traveling through solid objects.  The performance hit likely makes this a nonstarter, but there is no harm in wishing.     

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Matthieu Quander said:

Maybe someday, the technology will improve to prevent artificial light traveling through solid objects.  The performance hit likely makes this a nonstarter, but there is no harm in wishing.     

There is already solution:
Projector light + shadows on <--- no light will leak through solid objects.

Non-projector (AKA ordinary lights) will always pass through solid objects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/13/2021 at 7:17 AM, Coby Foden said:

There is already solution:
Projector light + shadows on <--- no light will leak through solid objects.

Non-projector (AKA ordinary lights) will always pass through solid objects.

Thanks.  I'll have to play around with that.  I don't typically have shadows enabled unless I am taking photos.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.