What is second life and what can I do/be? am so newborn and lost...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I am not new to the net in general but am brand new to anything even remotely like second life.
and I am trying to work out my first laptop and a wireless keyboard to boot.
all in one go eek. When I jump I guess I completely go all in lol.
Can anyone please give me some basic info, thoughts and pointers on second life and where to begin?
thank you.

Edited by oXCheekyXo

I guess it was a very wide, vague question lol but I guess I am not sure what to even ask. I basically signed up without knowing what a virtual world is and I guess I need an idiots guide to what a virtual world is
I can work out some basics like picking a basic avatar but now don't know what the basic idea is. I am just walking around aimlessly.
Hmm what are some general reasons people are on second life? basic uses for second life.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, oXCheekyXo said:

I can work out some basics like picking a basic avatar but now don't know what the basic idea is. I am just walking around aimlessly.

What is SL? I don't know really (It might or might not be a MMORPG). There is no direct objective or goal. But everyone have different opinions:

For some poeple its a virtual platform (sailing, flying, fishing, dancing etc...) game.

For some people it is a role play game.

For some people its a place for meeting new people, social platform.

For some people it is a development platform..

Etc.. many different opinions.

Edited by RunawayBunny
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, oXCheekyXo said:

Hmm what are some general reasons people are on second life? basic uses for second life.

You'll get a lot of different answers to that question in particular as we all have different reasons for being here; Mine is that I'm agoraphobic and use it as a means of being able to socialize.

Now. As for help for you? feel free to IM me in world and I can try to help you out, if I don't know it I can probably direct you to a youtube video.

• Like 1

One of the great things to do in SL is to walk up to people and talk to them. You can ask them what they do in SL or ask about their avatar or if they have a house in SL. It's possible to teleport around with someone and very fun to visit places with someone who knows their way around. One thing you should be careful about is asking for real life information. Some people don't mind sharing a general location but might not want to go into detail. Also, don't send a friend request to people before asking.

If you get a laptop be sure it has good graphics car like an nvidia or amd.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oXCheekyXo said:

I guess it was a very wide, vague question lol but I guess I am not sure what to even ask. I basically signed up without knowing what a virtual world is and I guess I need an idiots guide to what a virtual world is

This throws a lot of new users. The two big new user questions are "What do I do now", and "How do I fix this clothing problem". (Second Life has a clothing system that can do almost anything but is very complicated.)

Arriving in Second Life is like moving to a new city. The city is indifferent to you. Unlike MMO games, Second Life itself won't make you do anything. It won't even suggest anything. There's a lot you can do, but you have to find it. It's a big world, too, the size of a major city. Almost entirely built by the users. The purpose of an area depends on what the users of that area set it up for. Second Life itself doesn't care. Much of Second Life, like a real city, is just random buildings. You can wander around for a long time, passing castles, houses, and gas stations, and feel totally lost.

In the viewer menus, there's a "content" section and a destination guide. Those give some hints of places you might want to visit. There's a "new user" section of the destination guide, which can help you get started.

What's available?

• Roleplay. Fantasy, SF, cyberpunk, western, medieval, steampunk, supernatural - there are areas for all of those. Search in the Content search.
  • Tourism. Hundreds of places to visit.
  • Fighting. SL can do first-person shooters, and there are areas for that, although it's not really a good system for combat.
  • Driving. Lots of roads, lots of vehicles.
  • Flying. Lots of planes, including helicopters so accurate you need real flight training.
  • Boating.  Boats are popular, and many people sail. There are marinas and competitions.
  • Creating things. You can build things in Second Life. Almost everything you see was built by a user. You can practice building in "sandboxes".
  • Hanging out and talking to people. Easy, and popular. London City is a good place to start and usually busy. Many places are only busy during events.
  • Events. There are lots of events going on, and a content guide in the event tab. DJs are a thing.

Then there's stuff that costs money.

• Your own land. You can buy land. You can rent land. You can get a house, furnished or unfurnished. You can build on land. It costs. Spend some time in SL before getting into this.
  • Shopping. Hundreds of thousands of things to buy. There's an web based marketplace, and stores in-world. This costs, but usually not much. You're buying from other users, not Second Life itself.
  • Making and selling things. This is hard, and takes serious 3D design skills, because, unlike MMOs, the tools are not dumbed down to make them easy.

That's enough to get you started.

• Like 8

22 hours ago, oXCheekyXo said:

Second Life for Dummies by Sarah Robbins and Mark Bell

16834992.jpg

On 4/11/2021 at 11:06 PM, oXCheekyXo said:

Hi, I am not new to the net in general but am brand new to anything even remotely like second life.
Can anyone please give me some basic info, thoughts and pointers on second life and where to begin?
thank you.

Some people create a complete other life here and that is their "second life".  Some may have a partner, marry, have kids, pets, a house, etc.  

As for some things I like to do - build/create (sometimes this is frustrating and not always pleasant though), go to live music events, go to the destinations in the Destination Guide under EDITOR'S PICKS (amazing builds to find under Editor's Picks and also for photographs), and goof off with friends.  

Welcome to Second Life from me too!

I still remember 14 years ago, I was a noob only a few days old, there was a place that catapulted you into the sky and then you came down with a parachute.
Only I forgot to get the parachute. That felt as a real sensation, I was totally worried that my avatar would splash in thousand peaces at landing.

So yeah, parachute diving is an option too to enjoy SL.

Don't be a jerk and respect others is a good place to begin. Remember that there is a human behind all avis - some jerks, but most are not. Most just want to help.

Go to the newbie places as suggested. Ask around. Don't be intimidated. If asked, respond to folks in those places. Have some conversations and see where it goes. It might lead to  a teleport to a nice island or something worse. If you really feel weird, there is always an X somewhere on your screen and you can bug out if really needed.

It's not a re-do. But most folks in the newbie sections will just welcome you back if/when you log back in. Many of those places have the option for you to set "Home" there (learn what "Home" is").

Begin by exploring a bit is my advice. 

When I got a bit braver I got a crappy Firestorm motorcycle and began exploring the mainland. Met a winged angel (a lady from Scotland, it turned out) who took the time to explain the differences between mainland and rentals to me. Long time ago, never seen her since, but still remember that :)

On 4/12/2021 at 3:36 AM, oXCheekyXo said:

thank you.

Welcome to SL!

What is a virtual world? Fairly self explanatory, you will come to find out.

It is a world that exists online. Think of it as visiting another planet. You're either a tourist, or you'll be a resident (well technically all users are referred to as Residents. I am just using real world metaphors). Basically anything you can do in the real world, you can do with pixel representation in the virtual world. Dance, go to concerts and a myriad of other events, play games, socialize, form relationships, roleplay, and so much more. Its a vast world. You can rent land, buy or build a home and live there. You can also start any one of a myriad of business ventures. Go slow and soak it in.  I hope you are enjoying it and if you need any help I or my wife Ari Spark will be happy to help you

On 4/12/2021 at 1:06 AM, oXCheekyXo said:

thank you.

Start by making some friends, it really will enrich your experience and you can learn a lot from them.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to Second Life, @oXCheekyXo !

As you can see, the answers are all over the board...because SL is so rich and flexible. In that respect, it's like life (and it's why they called it "Second Life"!) Think of yourself as a newborn baby...if one could talk, it might very well look around the delivery room and ask, "what's this 'life' stuff about and what can I do here?" Trying to answer that kid's question will take about 18 years or so!

Fortunately, learning what you can do (and what you WANT to do!) in SL doesn't take nearly that long, but it DOES take more than a day. Explore, visit some of the newbie places with tutorials and people to talk to, browse the Marketplace a bit. While some things cost money, there's a LOT you can do, and acquire, for free, so no need to spend money to buy Linden Dollars ($L) just yet.

One of the most amazing things about SL is that almost all of it has been created by its Residents, people just like you and me...not a team of game designers. That can be fascinating even if you never create anything yourself, and just marvel at the works of others as a tourist. Or you can join the creators and make a beautiful place, or create things for others to buy.

There are plenty of resources to help you learn about SL.  These forums, the help areas in world, a lot of YouTube videos (just browse on past the ones that are just people making fun of SL, there are plenty of helpful ones to find.) And there are a TON of blogs about SL...just do a Google search for "Second Life blogs".

Edited by Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.