Out of Character - Tags, and SL vs. RL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 62 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I've seen people role play on Second Life and need to say something "out of character" (off script, etc.) they would use characters to offset the "OOC" text and make it clear, for example:

"Forsooth and whatnot! {{back in a few}}"

What are other common ways to do this, like "**hey ooc text here**"?

When people RL role play (in person, not SL), do they use any system to indicate going "out of character"? 

I would always seperate the OOC bit from the roleplay text and use (( ... )).

Those ** ... well, I'd rather associate them with either actions to be described or in some cases as a marker for thinking. Rarely, if ever, as an OOC marker.

RL... no idea,

• Thanks 1

I haven't done in-person RP but I've done plenty online, including by email, AIM/Yahoo chat, Livejournal, forums and so on.

In chat, it was usually done with double parentheses ((like this)) but some people had other preferences like {{brackets}} or //slashes// but it was nearly always a double of something.  Not asterisks though - asterisks were usually for an emote rather than an OOC comment. Actual in-character speech would have no markers, not even quote marks.

Now in SL it tends to be the other way round; when you're posting IC, the actual speech is in quotes and the emote has no markers.

AIM/Yahoo way:  Maitimo: Hey, what's going on down there? *Leans over the wall to get a better view of the garden* ((Sorry, brb 2 mins))

SL way: Maitimo: "Hey, what's going on down there?" Leans over the wall to get a better view of the garden. ((Sorry brb 2 mins))

In Livejournal and forums, most of us had separate accounts for RP so we'd post in-character stuff from the character journal and OOC stuff from our personal one. But that wasn't in real-time so there was less need for OOC comments; planning and meta discussions usually took place on separate threads.

• Thanks 1

While I have not LARPed I do know OOC demarcation often depends on the venue and personal preferences.

Online? That has oh so many variations that are not really standardized that it is not even amusing. But for me, the following list is often the case:

• ((Text)) - OOC, after having gone properly IC
  • *Text* - Sometimes used as an action or descriptive segment marker, sometimes used as an emphasis marker for either spoken or descriptive text (context is key)
  • Text (/me text) - More often used for action demarcation with posts/responses wherein the action comes before any spoken bits
  • "Text" or Text - Speech, context/partner usage sensitive
  • ~Text~ or ~"Text"~ - Telepathic speech, few exceptions to this

As an example for the above, using my more common syntax and throwing in as many of the above markers as possible ....

Solar can be seen typing away at his keyboard, occasionally pausing to gather his thoughts to ensure that he is typing things out in the manner in which he intends to convey the information. Looking up for a moment, he smiles slightly, "I hope that the information I have presented along with this example is instructive and properly conveys what I am attempting to impart to you." His voice a slight bit rough as he has not yet had any water since getting up not that long ago. As if reminded of this, he grabs the water bottle nearby to unscrew the top and take a swig, eyes flicking back to you for a moment, ~I am a bit absent minded after all and do not always say what I mean.~ Now he hoped that the sensation of having a voice echo through your head like that wasn't *too* much of a shock! ((And I *really* hope that this example isn't out of place/unwanted.))

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Y'know, some days people just think you're telepathic! ~ emits brain waves ~

Heh, the number of times i have run into just such a problem .....

Sadly in real life, one can only go by what is said/typed or directly observed!

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

Depends on the larp.

What I normally do for LARPs and have seen done is making a fist and placing it on your head then saying something.  

Some LARPs have specific things they do for going OOC written in their rules but that is usually the most common.

• Like 1

My partner Nicole and I share an immersive virtual life together via our avatars, but also communicate "chair to chair", sometimes with wry observations about the absurdity of our SL life together and sometimes about RL. We have no rules for separating or commingling these aspects of ourselves. If I'm switching context and think there should be some demarcation, I'll put my text in parens. Nicole might do the same. If the aside continues for more than another line or two, we'll drop the parentheses. We're lazy and laid back. Sometimes we'll run parallel conversations with no need for delineation at all, as it's clear to both of us.

I've been in situations where IC/OOC protocols are rigidly observed and find them unpleasant.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I've been in situations where IC/OOC protocols are rigidly observed and find them unpleasant.

A rare judgement! Reminder of a story where I was wrongly OOC and the local PTB used their lightning on me (no explanation or warning, just rumbles of thunder). Always reminds me of you!

23 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

A rare judgement! Reminder of a story where I was wrongly OOC and the local PTB used their lightning on me (no explanation or warning, just rumbles of thunder). Always reminds me of you!

Judging is what I do!!! I'm just a bit more discrete about it than some ;-).

I suspect the lightning you endured gave you a little chill. I hope any fire I rain on you has the opposite effect.

Places that are sticklers for IC/OOC protocol usually also demand adherence to canon. You can imagine the reception I get there.

• Like 1
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 62 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.