I just realized something about my sense of humor.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If it's funny, I laugh. Ken Dodd was funny. The Big Bang Theory was funny. But what makes something funny? The best explanation I ever heard was from Ken Dodd. He said that it's warped reality, and he was dead right, imo. It's reality with an unexpected twist.

Some people laugh when there's no humour of any kind. For instance, when a comedian throws in the f word, some people laugh. There's nothing funny about using the f word, but there is something funny (odd) with the brains of those who laugh.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I tend to laugh only at stuff that comes at the expense of others...

That's almost all humour.

4 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I actively avoid wholesome forms of humor such as "cute" humor. I guess that's the reason why I have such a bad sense of humor in the first place....

What makes you think they're mutually exclusive?

It's usually just a matter of severity. Or tone. Tom and Jerry is just pure sadism but it's aimed at kids. (I always hated it, though.) It's still all about suffering, albeit clearly made out to be unreal.

Lady in church.

I think this is hilarious. May not be your thing, it's extremely British for several reasons, but it's all about someone's angst and poking fun. Not in any way mean spirited, though. 

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 2

There is nothing better than some good ole clean well done humor..

I've probably binge watched Andy Griffith show more than any other show around, because he's just a really fun story teller..

I was saying in another thread, I know a guy that really gets into telling things he's done or things he knows.. He gets his body going and is really good at the details and can have you glued to where nothing else is going on in the world..

There was one time he had me out of breath from laughing so hard, just from having to climb down into a water tank to get some leaves off the outlet , because they cut off the water going to his house.. There was like 6 inches of room from the top of the tank to where it was air and all these  webs were hanging down and whatever else lives on a water tank lid..

He went into the whole having to time things get a bunch of leaves and come back up in the same spot where he cleared webs so he could get the leaves over to the opening..

He had me in tears so bad that my sides were hurting to where I could hardly catch air..

He has all kinds of really quick things he say's that will make you spit your drink from getting caught off guard.. Things like. Man I'm hungry as a hostage or look out now you're in my 3 second zone.. That guy took so long falling off that horse that he could'a ate a snickers bar before he hit the ground..

Anyways, I think story telling can be some of the best humor

Andy Griffith is one of the best story tellers I think.. He just reminds me of this guy I know.

The way he gets Barney so glued sometimes  right in there with the kids, just makes me laugh so hard.. hehehe

• Like 4

@Gopi Passiflora I think I do too! I think the thing that's made me laugh more than anything is Alan Partridge...and that's laughing at the most cringe, terrible person ever xD Maybe you have to be from the UK to get it. What do you mean by 'cute' humour, though? I don't know if it counts, but I think Mean Girls is a classic :)

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Tom and Jerry is just pure sadism but it's aimed at kids.

Sorry, no. Cartoons were never intended for children 

"The Warner cartoons were aimed strictly for adults--they were never meant for children," McKimson said.

Warner cartoons and other animated short subjects (Disney characters, Popeye, Tom and Jerry and so on) were screened for audiences of all ages at movie houses before the feature presentation. But when television began packing Saturday mornings and after-school hours with those classics during the `60s, many were trimmed of excessive violence, sexual innuendo and drug and alcohol references.

Or, as McKimson puts it: "They chopped the hell out of them."

And that hasn't changed, even in the 'toons that air today, he added.

"Generally speaking, you're seeing cartoons that are edited," McKimson said.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2002-11-03-0211030434-story.html

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Millions of people love the Three Stooges.  That's a lot a humor at the mishaps of others.

I really enjoy watching the older things.. A lot has to do with just what they used back then and how much different things were compared to when I was growing up..

Like with the stooges, I remember one where they were delivering ice, which is something we take for granted until our freezer goes out..

Shows in black and whitelike that and even all the way up into the 80's is like looking at the little details in history..

Still having to dip a pen puts a time line on those still being around in certain times.. Stooges did a lot of odd jobs, so that was really interesting for me I think..

• Like 1

We've watched a couple shows of this guys and really enjoy his comedy.. There is something about his comedy that is funny and relaxing at the same time..

He has a couple shows on Netflix.. One is called, The Tennessee Kid, which we really enjoyed..

Anyways, here is just a short of his..

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.