Voice DJ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

After being greeted with "Welcome Sir Rowan" more times than I can count, I'd prefer no greeting from anyone, anywhere.

You use a male avatar? 

I always cam the avatar before I greet, since the gender is not always obvious from the name

30 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Just a difference in club owners I guess.   Hostess or not, the DJ's are expected to greet and interact with the guests at our club.  I think the reason our club was started was because one of the owners, the manager, felt other clubs were not personal enough with the VIPs, and the DJ's were too aloof or distant.  So she quit as manager of those clubs and started her own with an owner who could afford the region.  We've been going for 14 years now, same owner and manager and location, so we must be doing something right.

As with almost everything in RL and SL, many roads lead to Rome.
Whatever is best for the venue and the DJ.

Just now, Jaylinbridges said:

You use a male avatar? 

I always cam the avatar before I greet, since the gender is not always obvious from the name

Nope, but at a certain club they are required to greet within a time frame.  I don't think they even bother looking but use radar to see when people arrive.

Granted, it's a bdsm club so they're also required to use the Sir.  Normally, I'll just say "might want to try that again once I rez for you".   Also, if it's a busy place with lots of chatter in local, why would it matter if anyone greets people?  Their greeting might be missed.  I've never once felt slighted if someone failed to say hello.  They certainly don't do that in RL clubs.

To be honest, whenever I see VIP in a groups tag, I read: possible drama ahead.

And this cheesy one can be passed on to Rowan's BDSM greeter:
"Welcome, Rowan Amore!!
Owww, I love that lady, even when she hits me with her hand bag."

Edited by Sid Nagy
Always edit for good measure.
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

And this cheesy one can be passed to Rowan's BDSM greeter:
"Welcome, Rowan Amore!!
Owww, I love that lady, even when she hits me with her hand bag."

I actually do have a handbag that does that!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

What?!

Do you even know what VIP means? It's just a group tag for the club - you come in, ask for a tag so you can follow our events, and you get a group tag,  You don't have to wear it, and it does not say VIP. There is only ONE category for group tags.  Most of our regular patrons (VIP's by definition) never wear the tags.  Your comment about drama and our club members meaning "drama ahead" makes zero sense.  But then you don't DJ in SL because the pay is too low compared to RL.  You people are funny.  

Edited by Jaylinbridges

I was just generally speaking. Not about your club specific. Why should I, I don't know the place at all.

And VIP stands for Very Important Person. Nothing else.
Meaning "drama ahead" way to often in my GENERAL SL experience if people badge themselves with such titles. GENERALLY speaking.

And see, were cheesy remarks can lead to.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Generally editing.

3 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Just a difference in club owners I guess.   Hostess or not, the DJ's are expected to greet and interact with the guests at our club.  I think the reason our club was started was because one of the owners, the manager, felt other clubs were not personal enough with the VIPs, and the DJ's were too aloof or distant.  So she quit as manager of those clubs and started her own with an owner who could afford the region.  We've been going for 14 years now, same owner and manager and location, so we must be doing something right.

Difference in club owners, and in DJs, and in guests. While I don't require my DJs to greet guests (I host myself and do that), if they actually want to do so I don't mind. And I don't think my guests really mind that much if it's me who greets them, or the DJ, or nobody. I don't use a greeter-bot but the door is scripted with a welcome message - I keep it in because it alerts me in local chat when someone arrives. 

Noir hasn't been going as long as the club you're at, but we did celebrate our 8th anniversary a couple of months ago; also same owner-manager (me), same location and even my DJs have been with me since almost the very beginning.

3 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I have a hostess who acts as greeter for me , but my first gig was without a hostess, so I got used to greeting people and still do it. I don't do club announcements other than to encourage people to tip my hostess. 

I guess I understand Rowan about hearing that everytime he goes into a club, but for me I kinda expect it. Especially if it's a club I've never been to.  I'll be honest, if I go to a club and I'm not greeted, I don't hang long. If I'm not greeted then I feel like they don't really care if I'm there or not.  I don't normally go to big clubs that have 50 or more guests, so it's not that hard, in my opinion.

Thank you all for responding to my thread.   I'm getting some great insight. 

A follow-up question is: When you DJ do you listen in RL or in the SL media?  I had a long time RL/SL DJ tell me he always listened in RL to get songs cued correctly. Just curious. For me I listen in RL and check SL often in case of a runaway song (have NEVER known what causes that). I have SL volume lower than RL so my mind doesn't go crazy because the latency issue between RL/SL.

Edited by Doris Johnsky
typo

17 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

And you would never be hired by our club with that attitude.  

I don't consider it an "attitude" as much an opinion or observation. 

If I hear a DJ with a really sonorous, vibrant voice, who voices sporadically, I'm fine with that.   Someone with a weak, nasal sound never needs to voice. And the longer they drone on, the less I want to hang. 

I don't voice because of medical issues from an accident, so my voice is no longer attractive to listen to.  I know my limitations.

• Like 1

To be fair, dozens of SL clubs included 'VIP' in their member tags. It didn't mean those people had access to a roped off skybox and special treatment :)

I would say it's mostly on the hosts to greet - the DJ might be lining up tunes. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

I don't consider it an "attitude" as much an opinion or observation. 

If I hear a DJ with a really sonorous, vibrant voice, who voices sporadically, I'm fine with that.   Someone with a weak, nasal sound never needs to voice. And the longer they drone on, the less I want to hang. 

I don't voice because of medical issues from an accident, so my voice is no longer attractive to listen to.  I know my limitations.

I have been to a popular club where the DJ is basically irritating to listen to. They are loud and run through their voiceover like they are going 150 mph. Then they try to throw a few jokes in while trying to get everything else they have to say before the next song starts. Most of the time he goes over the song by 20 or so seconds.  I've stopped going to this club for this reason when he DJ's even though I like the club itself.  I also personally don't like having to listen to the DJ list every song they played or will be playing.  Part of the fun of going to a club is being surprised by what they play. Besides...most of the time the song is displayed in local and I know how to read.  So if I had a choice between that and a DJ that didn't talk but spun good music I'd choose the latter.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 1

I DJ and I get on the mic at the start of the event and to announce music requests and any announcements the venue wants made. I don't talk over the music or announce each song. I'm also active in chat and if the conversation topic gives me a song hook, I'll play it. I hate places where they give the entire history of the band, the song, blah blah blah. Just play the music.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I have been to a popular club where the DJ is basically irritating to listen to. They are loud and run through their voiceover like they are going 150 mph. Then they try to throw a few jokes in while trying to get everything else they have to say before the next song starts. Most of the time he goes over the song by 20 or so seconds.  I've stopped going to this club for this reason when he DJ's even though I like the club itself.  I also personally don't like having to listen to the DJ list every song they played or will be playing.  Part of the fun of going to a club is being surprised by what they play. Besides...most of the time the song is displayed in local and I know how to read.  So if I had a choice between that and a DJ that didn't talk but spun good music I'd choose the latter.

Thank you

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.