Jump to content

New FS Viewer...6.4.13...Looks Like BLEEEEEEEP!


Recommended Posts

The first picture looks like when I don't have on Advanced Lighting. Has that been ticked off by chance? I know when you mess around with the graphic slider, it might turn on/off certain features.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I work on Catznip with @Kitty Barnett (who is also on the Firestorm team). Our goal is to take the Linden viewer and add features with a more thoughtful take. We don't import code from other viewers (

/me hurriedly puts her phone down. What? WHAT? Don't look at me like that!

That one did come up in the search and - from what I can see - is not exactly related to Microsoft in any real way. it is a developer attempting to cash in on the Microsoft name while offering what am

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

What I'm seeing there looks like the same sort of jagged lines caused by some forms of image/texture compression.

Yes, jagged lines but there is also a kind of reflection which leads me to believe it could also have to do with the fact of the shiny everything now change.  However, looking at your pic above in Midday, I see you are fine.

Now, I will add a screenshot below on LL viewer of my legs at Midday and no jagged lines.  So, I don't see how it could be my drivers.  (Plus I'm using Midday right now to compare because I have no idea how to import lightings into LL viewer yet - I'm starting this LL viewer only since last night.)

It could be some kind of texture compression as to why I don't know, I'm not a geek, and why only on one viewer and not the other?  My legs and other items don't have the jagged lines and/or sometimes what might be a reflection on the LL viewer as shown below.  I'm just not sure what it is but it's hell here for me.  Anyhow, I will speak will driver support and see what they have to say but I don't want to spend money I don't need to spend.  

Screenshot (213).png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've followed this thread and, if it weren't for people posting serious posts, I'd assume it was a wind-up. I haven't been able to see anything wrong with any of the pics posted - maybe one. The one that said look at my necklace and look at the planter, I did, and they look just fine. There was a pic earlier where the necklace appeared not to be totally rezzed, but other than that, all the pics posted to demonstrate how bad the current FS is, all look good. The pic that apparently showed lines on the legs, for instance, doesn't show any lines on the legs.

I am seriously confused by it all.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

I've followed this thread and, if it weren't for people posting serious posts, I'd assume it was a wind-up. I haven't been able to see anything wrong with any of the pics posted - maybe one. The one that said look at my necklace and look at the planter, I did, and they look just fine. There was a pic earlier where the necklace appeared not to be totally rezzed, but other than that, all the pics posted to demonstrate how bad the current FS is, all look good. The pic that apparently showed lines on the legs, for instance, doesn't show any lines on the legs.

I am seriously confused by it all.

Because the pictures are smaller now and you need to click on them to enlarge them.

Let me put a close-up of the same pics in a smaller area and you should see the lines I'm talking about without clicking on the picture itself.    

FS screenshot #1   LL screenshot #2  (both cropped from same photos in this thread.)

Screenshot (208) cropped.png

Screenshot (213) cropped.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Looks to me like some graphics settings need to be adjusted. Like antialiasing needs to be bumped up a tad.

I could try it.  It looks more like something is corrupt to me though.

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

I do not, however, want AMD talking me into a bunch of drivers for a lot of money because that is not going to happen.

Just to hook into the discussion at this point: This is the first time I've heard about AMD drivers costing money. If you're getting your driver updates from the official source, they're free of cost.

As to the ants problem, that looks like aforementioned aliasing and should in theory be resolved by setting that to a higher value. Aliasing becomes more pronounced with lower resolution and contrast - and the FS EEP sure loves to pump up contrast and shine for some reason. However, with an effect that pronounced, something else could be amiss.

Just to eliminate this as a potential reason, the driver suite that come with your graphics card (pre-installed on your system or manually updated) generally allows adjustments towards quality or performance. I can't give you screenshots how it looks on AMD/ATI as I do not have an AMD card but to compare, this is how it looks on NVIDIA (and notice the jagged lines in their performance example):

9WBTvHh.jpg

A quick check confirms that AMD has the Radeon Control Panel which also allows fine tuned settings. Unless you know what is what, please just use the presets it offers. Ideally someone with an AMD/ATI could walk you through this.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

Just to hook into the discussion at this point: This is the first time I've heard about AMD drivers costing money. If you're getting your driver updates from the official source, they're free of cost.

See, this is what I mean here about my not being a geek ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that they want money or will say oh yes you need that and I wouldn't know the difference.  In the MS Driver One App, it's $9.99 to update one's drivers, and how do I know I need it when one viewer is fine while the other is not?  So, I didn't want to rush into paying here.   

 

30 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

As to the ants problem, that looks like aforementioned aliasing and should in theory be resolved by setting that to a higher value. Aliasing becomes more pronounced with lower resolution and contrast - and the FS EEP sure loves to pump up contrast and shine for some reason. However, with an effect that pronounced, something else could be amiss.

Okay, upped the aliasing and it is a bit better but then I turned MATERIALS on to see how it looked and it still looks rather bad.  But, MATERIALS does not look all that much better in the LL viewer, it's only slightly better in the LL viewer, and I showed that in this thread - on both viewers MATERIALS not good for me.  However, in this photo below with the aliasing up, the planter does look better and the static marching ant like effect is actually better but I'm going to try to up it one more time, but what is also going on with MATERIALS, it looks washed out on both viewers.  I tried fudging with lighting a bit but all this occurred while in the middle of demoing a top (so forgive my photos here) and I have real life needs to attend to today also.   HOWEVER, this below photo is merely showing how now the planter looks better with aliasing up but MATERIALS eek look at the face on the HD head.   One does need to CLICK TO ENLARGE to actually see what is going on the photos though.

Screenshot (214).png

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to post
Share on other sites

You should not ever be charged to update your drivers by an application - that is a sign of something rather sketchy at best and an outright scam at worst. Doing a quick search does not show any application called MS Driver One (be it simply Driver One or Microsoft Driver One). That is a whole other problem you have going on right there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

You should not ever be charged to update your drivers by an application - that is a sign of something rather sketchy at best and an outright scam at worst. Doing a quick search does not show any application called MS Driver One (be it simply Driver One or Microsoft Driver One). That is a whole other problem you have going on right there.

I wasn't sure of the name...but this is it...and by MS I meant from Microsoft, that's what came up in my search - this.... (and it's $9.99 - it's not free).

Screenshot (216).png

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I wasn't sure of the name...but this is it...and by MS I meant from Microsoft, that's what came up in my search - this.... (and it's $9.99 - it's not free).

Screenshot (216).png

That one did come up in the search and - from what I can see - is not exactly related to Microsoft in any real way. it is a developer attempting to cash in on the Microsoft name while offering what amounts to snake oil.

Always get your driver updates from the device manufacturer. In the case of GPU and APUs, that would be nVidia, AMD and Intel.

With incredibly few exceptions you should not be getting your drivers from any other source.

ETA: I should note that in this instance I am speaking concerning commercial operating systems (Windows and Mac). If one is on Linux, one can generally get updated drivers through your Distro's software repository as well (and should, with incredibly few exceptions).

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an AMD. If the AMD app isn't already installed (mine was installed with the laptop) you should go directly to their website and install any updates from there.

https://www.amd.com/en/support

I'm going to also add that I don't have your same problem on firestorm with the AMD.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

(Does AMD have a control panel or app that can override application-specific anti-aliasing and maybe other graphics settings? Even if so, I don't have a good theory why it would differ between versions of Firestorm, so this seems kind of a long shot.)

[ EDIT: Sorry! 😊 This was trying to say the exact same thing@ValKalAstrasaid better—and with pictures! ]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

In the MS Driver One App, it's $9.99 to update one's drivers

You're not paying for the drivers. You are paying for a service or a subscription to a service you do not need and have never needed.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I've followed this thread and, if it weren't for people posting serious posts, I'd assume it was a wind-up. I haven't been able to see anything wrong with any of the pics posted - maybe one. The one that said look at my necklace and look at the planter, I did, and they look just fine. There was a pic earlier where the necklace appeared not to be totally rezzed, but other than that, all the pics posted to demonstrate how bad the current FS is, all look good. The pic that apparently showed lines on the legs, for instance, doesn't show any lines on the legs.

I am seriously confused by it all.

You might want to open the images in a new tab and actually look at them... If you didnt see this\/ You need to take a closer look..

5cd73509e3be126469638178e0dcf483.png
 

@FairreLiletteThat necklace picture looks like your LOD is far to low. Go into Preferences and type LOD in the search bar. up it to between 2 and 3. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I have an AMD. If the AMD app isn't already installed (mine was installed with the laptop) you should go directly to their website and install any updates from there.

https://www.amd.com/en/support

I'm going to also add that I don't have your same problem on firestorm with the AMD.  

Okay, thanks...I need time to read that as my ex used to do this stuff...I'm not sure what to do...it's Greek to me but I did find out I have a 5300 series and at least got that far.

I feel like this viewer is more for intermediate and advanced.  I'm having a helluva time at it and I'm not a newbie.  But, then again, many say newbies will go on the LL viewer which does seem easier but not those who are returning.  Those returning may go direct to FS.  However, what I've heard is the problem may be with AMD although Rowan says no.  So, that means certain AMD possibly.

But, still, okay this next picture is Nan's Optimal Prim and Skin which is usually way to bright for me and my monitor is already on low brightness at about 45%, and it looks really blow out and like she just got out of the water even though I have materials in the CATWA hud very low to almost off it's so low in the Catwa hud.  I didn't turn on shadows, I didn't think I needed them here.  However, on Annan Adored, it's same, looks like she is covered in a sheet of plastic or underwater.

 

Screenshot (225).png

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Okay, thanks...I need time to read that as my ex used to do this stuff...I'm not sure what to do...it's Greek to me but I did find out I have a 5300 series and at least got that far.

I feel like this viewer is more for intermediate and advanced.  I'm having a helluva time at it and I'm not a newbie.  But, then again, many say newbies will go on the LL viewer which does seem easier but not those who are returning.  Those returning may go direct to FS.  However, what I've heard is the problem may be with AMD although Rowan says no.  So, that means certain AMD possibly.

But, still, okay this next picture is Nan's Optimal Prim and Skin which is usually way to bright for me and my monitor is already on low brightness at about 45%, and it looks really blow out and like she just got out of the water even though I have materials in the CATWA hud very low to almost off it's so low in the Catwa hud.  I didn't turn on shadows, I didn't think I needed them here.  However, on Annan Adored, it's same, looks like she is covered in a sheet of plastic or underwater.

 

Screenshot (225).png

You dont have ambient occlusion on.. That will cause things to look like crap.  I dont know much about AMD cards but i think a 5300 is on the low end.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Okay, thanks...I need time to read that as my ex used to do this stuff...I'm not sure what to do...it's Greek to me but I did find out I have a 5300 series and at least got that far.

I feel like this viewer is more for intermediate and advanced.  I'm having a helluva time at it and I'm not a newbie.  But, then again, many say newbies will go on the LL viewer which does seem easier but not those who are returning.  Those returning may go direct to FS.  However, what I've heard is the problem may be with AMD although Rowan says no.  So, that means certain AMD possibly.

But, still, okay this next picture is Nan's Optimal Prim and Skin which is usually way to bright for me and my monitor is already on low brightness at about 45%, and it looks really blow out and like she just got out of the water even though I have materials in the CATWA hud very low to almost off it's so low in the Catwa hud.  I didn't turn on shadows, I didn't think I needed them here.  However, on Annan Adored, it's same, looks like she is covered in a sheet of plastic or underwater.

 

Screenshot (225).png

I don't have ambient occlusion on and  LOD shouldn't need to be at 4 either.

Have you tried setting glow to default?

Open photo tools. Alt P.  Under DoF/Glow just hit the D to reset them to default.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

(Does AMD have a control panel or app that can override application-specific anti-aliasing and maybe other graphics settings? Even if so, I don't have a good theory why it would differ between versions of Firestorm, so this seems kind of a long shot.)

[ EDIT: Sorry! 😊 This was trying to say the exact same thing@ValKalAstrasaid better—and with pictures! ]

It does and can be set to use the game settings.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You dont have ambient occlusion on.. That will cause things to look like crap.  I dont know much about AMD cards but i think a 5300 is on the low end.. 

I didn't notice much difference with ambient occlusion on so I took a similar picture with it on now plus I wanted to know what it was for.

I know a word to describe what I see now is things look kind of murky, not faded as I was saying, but murky.

Yeah, the 5300 is low end but I've taken pictures on ULTRA graphics and bumped my pixels way up in my camera area and it looks great.  The 2nd photo below I took on the BOM viewer, the viewer before this EEP, and it's just on mid-range graphic setting with low pixels in the camera.  I could have bumped the pixels way up and put the graphics on ULTRA and this 2nd photo below would have looked amazing for low end graphics with AMD like I have.  Even with low end graphics one can up their graphics to ULTRA and bump their pixels way up in the camera area for a photograph.  The 1st photo is on Nam's like the first I showed in other post above.  

Screenshot (231).png

Snapshot_831.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I didn't notice much difference with ambient occlusion on so I took a similar picture with it on now plus I wanted to know what it was for.

I know a word to describe what I see now is things look kind of murky, not faded as I was saying, but murky.

Yeah, the 5300 is low end but I've taken pictures on ULTRA graphics and bumped my pixels way up in my camera area and it looks great.  The 2nd photo below I took on the BOM viewer, the viewer before this EEP, and it's just on mid-range graphic setting with low pixels in the camera.  I could have bumped the pixels way up and put the graphics on ULTRA and this 2nd photo below would have looked amazing for low end graphics with AMD like I have.  Even with low end graphics one can up their graphics to ULTRA and bump their pixels way up in the camera area for a photograph.  The 1st photo is on Nam's like the first I showed in other post above.  

Screenshot (231).png

Snapshot_831.jpg

OK.. This is not the first FS viewer to have EEP, the past two have had it. So either you were running an old viewer or are mistaken about your last viewer. In order to fully help, showing the second and third tab on the graphics tab in Preferences would help.. I dont claim to have the best PC out there but i do run with decent specs and have no issues with textures or any of the things you have shown. Perhaps an upgrade with the stimulus money? I did that for my wife.. After we paid the bills.

49c34d9e7aa52bb2d9b9651585baae9c.png

07fb3967d201cbce0ae79bf023f04885.png

 

 

b760fadbef1086f20a7b35954a1e0836.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I don't have ambient occlusion on and  LOD shouldn't need to be at 4 either.

Have you tried setting glow to default?

Open photo tools. Alt P.  Under DoF/Glow just hit the D to reset them to default.

I usually have my LOD between 2-3...I raised to see if it would help the necklace any.  It doesn't.  

These things you are talking re: AMD about are Greek to me but I'm also tired so I will check in again tomorrow about 'how' I am supposed to update this AMD stuff.   

14 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

OK.. This is not the first FS viewer to have EEP, the past two have had it. So either you were running an old viewer or are mistaken about your last viewer.

I tried the EEP viewer in December and didn't like it.  I switched back to BOM viewer which really was a great viewer until notice said it was going to be blocked...so my change to EEP is just recently really.  

I don't know about an upgrade as I was not planning on it.  

I will check back in the morning.

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not know where you read/heard that the final Windlight version of Firestorm was being blocked soon but ... Firestorm uses a three release cycle. 6.3.2 is the one being blocked, not 6.3.9. 6.3.9 is the final Windlight version of Firestorm.

Yes, you're going to eventually have to update to an EEP version but that will not be until after their next release.

That said, it is better to get it over with. You'll have a fair bit of poking around to do simply because of the changes made.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...